Author Topic: Learning how to type all over again  (Read 4390 times)

Offline RoboKrikit

Learning how to type all over again
« on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 19:27:40 »
I was going to post this as a reply to the Typing tutor games with good playability thread, but realized it might be better as its own topic.

Does anyone know of any good programs that would be helpful in re-learning how to type?  I'm thinking something like an onscreen interface constantly reminding you which fingers you should be using, or something like that.  It'd be nice if it could magically tell you when you used the wrong fingers, but I don't expect miracles. :)

Like the OP, I'm an IT guy.  I spend a lot of time at the command line and writing code, and I do touch type (>100wpm).  Recently I was reading a post where someone described a professor of theirs who typed with only two fingers but typed rather quickly anyhow.  I kinda smiled at this; imagine typing with only two fingers!  Then I thought about my unorthodox typing style for a minute and furrowed my brow.  I typed out a few paragraphs, and realized I pretty much only use the first two fingers on each hand, except for the A key and modifier/enter/etc keys.

Well, ****.  That can't be good.

I also took a few typing tests and noticed that although I type pretty fast, I do make more mistakes than I thought, probably because my two fingers are flying all over the place instead of sticking to a subset of keys.

Has anyone here re-learned touch typing in a situation like this?
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 19:35:28 »
I just learned to 10 finger touch type the end of this summer. Geekhack was a motivating factor there. I basically learned the keyboard from playing videogames but, I never learned proper fingering until geekhack.

typingweb.com has a animation below your typing area that illustrates which finger you should be using. I find that the lessons are good for developing a strong foundation of the fundamentals.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 20:05:09 »
http://www.typingmaster.com/

I've used this to learn. I'm on linux so ktouch was also available to me. I've tried it for several days. It's awful compared to typingmaster pro (ignore the hilarious name for a moment). Ktouch does so many things wrong like showing how fast you are while typing, it's stupid. When you type, you should focus only on one thing: accuracy and comfort. Forget speed entirely. The software in the link above focuses on just that. I generally avoid proprietary software that costs money, but it pretty much gets everything right. I think there should be an open-source clone of that program.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 20:14:36 »
Out of curiosity, what kind of keyboard is that? It sounds nice =)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 20:33:51 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;252109
what kind of keyboard is that?

whatever it is, the keycaps have big, centered, old-school legends :D

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 November 2010, 20:37:49 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote from: keyboardlover;252109
Out of curiosity, what kind of keyboard is that? It sounds nice =)

It's a new Filco tenkeyless w/Cherry blues, with the Dolch keycaps from WhiteRice's custom order.  The keycaps did alter the sound slightly.

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
Wow. Me too.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 00:43:23 »
I type about 100WPM, and was shocked to discover that I do the exact same thing! First 2 fingers only! Pinkies only used for ctl keys.

/me downloading a typing program stat.

Not sharing my self diagnosis video. Not brave enough.

Offline bakageta

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 02:44:55 »
Off topic, but you have nicely manicured nails... Back on subject, I used to type similar to that, in high school, but I've improved quite a bit since then. I didn't use any particular program, I just made a mental note of it, and slowed down and forced myself to type right. I wish you luck, it took a lot of effort to change my bad habits.

woody

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 03:47:17 »
This classic style precludes use of Shift and bunch of buttons with the same hand. So you have to always use Shift on the alternate hand?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 05:09:40 »
Quote from: woody;252228
This classic style precludes use of Shift and bunch of buttons with the same hand. So you have to always use Shift on the alternate hand?

yes. i do it, not too difficult, sometimes i'll catch myself shifting with the same hand but very rarely. I don't even know you have to do it like that, typing class taught me that when i was 12, and never stopped.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 06:08:25 »
Yhea my typing technigue is pretty near that too, mainly use only four fingers and ocasionaly six. And a lot of mistakes too, have to get time and motivation to learn proper typing...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline 2084

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 11:13:46 »
I pretty much type with all fingers on my left hand and 4 of my right hand (minus pinky).
But I can't touch type numbers at all, I think it's extremely uncomfortable to type "2" with my left pinky

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:14:30 »
Quote from: 2084;252322
But I can't touch type numbers at all, I think it's extremely uncomfortable to type "2" with my left pinky

You're supposed to use the ring finger for that. ;)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 13:16:58 »
yea pretty much why it's uncomfortable =p

Offline 2084

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 November 2010, 14:17:58 »
Quote from: Keymonger;252346
You're supposed to use the ring finger for that. ;)

Oh seems like that is different in some cases,
Typingstudy has it the way I stated

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 03:31:18 »
I've mostly integrated right ring finger into the action. Next: more keys for left ring finger.

THE BATTLE CONTINUES.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 05:37:36 »
I have a lot of respect for you doing this. I don't think I could just do it like that. Admittedly, I'm a little ways ahead of you, as I use my ring fingers, but not nearly as often as I should.

But yeah, my methods are a bit more direct: kinesis advantage. I physically CANNOT type on it in my normal fashion, so I have to use proper technique. It's HARD. And absurdly slow.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball