Author Topic: Light spacebar or heavy?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Phaedrus2129

Light spacebar or heavy?
« on: Sun, 28 November 2010, 12:29:48 »
When you have an MX brown or blue board, do you prefer the space bar to be the same weight or to be heavier (MX gray or green, respectively)?

I've found with MX browns that when you use a brown switch for the spacebar that it just clacks too much. It's not that I'm averse to noise, it's just that it's usually not a really pleasant sound, the way a switch clicking is. It's just a "TACK dadadadadadaTACK dadaTACK". Sounds cheap. While on my boards with gray switch spacebars the spacebar just makes a soft "dooka" sort of noise that blends into the flow of typing much better.

What do you think?
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 November 2010, 12:36:10 »
Green is a lot lighter than either grey, it's roughly a blue switch with a black spring.
Why they picked a grey space to go with browns, I really don't know :-/
But the green switch goes nicely with blues, IMO :)

Offline lowpoly

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 November 2010, 12:53:28 »
I prefer same weight. You can silence the space bar somewhat by applying grease to the stabilizers.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 November 2010, 19:22:19 »
I prefer heavy too...
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 06:19:30 »
Rippy did you make a guide yet how to mod it :/ ? converting brown to clear for spacebar.

If it's not too hard, i'd like to give it a try.
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline JBert

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 16:36:00 »
The smaller the difference in weight, the better.

The Cherry clear keyboard I'm typing on right now has a gray switch for the spacebar. It doesn't bother me as much as on a brown Cherry board.

Same with the model F, really.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline spolia optima

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 22:49:20 »
+1 for same weight as alpha keys.
keyboards!

Offline itlnstln

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 07:29:07 »
Same weight as the rest of the keys.  Heavy spacebars are weird.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 08:11:31 »
Heavy spacebars :biggrin:

Currently typing on my modded Cherry MY (to 20-25cn). Didn't modify the spacebar.

But really, I don't mind either a heavy spacebar or a same weight actuation.

I believe I have 3 keyboards that have heavy spacebars atm, and I have no intention of modifying them to same-weight.

The problem I believe with same-weight spacebars, is that the weight is really not the same, as the spacebar is a heavier key in general (I don't really have any data to back this up, anyone?), and thus will make the keypress even lighter than the rest of the keys.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 November 2010, 14:06:16 »
Somewhat heavier spacebars per se are not a bad thing. They only bother me when the "regular" switches are already on the mid-heavy to heavy side to begin with.

Thus I don't mind a green spacebar switch on a board with blues at all, but am bothered slightly by the grey ones on boards with clears or blacks.

One case where the spacebar does seem to feel slightly lighter is a Model M. That's fine though. And G81 spacebar = best part of the whole keyboard by far.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 00:59:36 »
Either the same or heavier, just as long as it is not lighter.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline Konrad

Light spacebar or heavy?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 December 2010, 04:24:34 »
Heavy for me.  I've "modded" cheapo boards with bits of foam and cut-down ballpoint pen springs to add some manly oomphf.  Of course I don't use pansy wrist-rests, so there's more weight behind my thumb punches.