Author Topic: F*ing *nix...  (Read 26885 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:29:15 »
I thought the K6-2's were older than 2000. Weren't they from 1998 or something?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline nmd

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:30:49 »
According to Wikipedia the K6-2 was released in May 1998.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:33:13 »
That was a pretty good guess on my part.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline whininggit

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 16:33:35 »
Get yourself a 'RAM optimizer' app so you can free up that wasted RAM and then start hitting the disk instead. I do it all the time because I find the disk thrashing sounds soothing.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:01:33 »
I don't need any "RAM Optomizing" programs because I use Windows 2000 without extra crap running in the background. On a system like that, 512MB of RAM's more than enough to get the job done well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:04:08 by microsoft windows »

Offline RoboKrikit

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:20:06 »
I'm so masochistic, I use Seagate HDDs for RAM and Iomega Zip Drives for storage.  With all the clicking and thrashing I can barely hear myself think, and I like it!
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 17:52:11 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;259102
I don't need any "RAM Optomizing" programs because I use Windows 2000 without extra crap running in the background. On a system like that, 512MB of RAM's more than enough to get the job done well.

In other news, 0 bytes of RAM are needed to do nothing.

Quote from: RoboKrikit;259119
I'm so masochistic, I use Seagate HDDs for RAM and Iomega Zip Drives for storage.  With all the clicking and thrashing I can barely hear myself think, and I like it!

my cpu's registers are on floppies and the cache is on sequential access tape.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline TexasFlood

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 18:26:55 »
Quote from: instantkamera;259139
my cpu's registers are on floppies and the cache is on sequential access tape.

What, no paper tape?

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 18:34:39 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;259157
What, no paper tape?
Show Image

L2 Cache.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline godly_music

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 20:18:38 »
Windows Vista / 7 memory management is superior to everything that came before it (and so it satisfies the topic, Linux memory management gets a thumbs up too, even though it doesn't cache aggressively). Your views may hold more merit for the last era of computing where you had to scrounge for Kilobits. RAM is there to be used. If not used, it is wasted. Windows 7 eats up as much RAM as it can while there are no processes in need of it, so that programs can start quicker and the system becomes more responsive. It's called SuperFetch, learn it. The notion that you would have to optimize RAM is so ridiculous nowadays, I'm surprised that the guys who write these programs do so with a straight face.

We can be conscious about good programming practice and therefore low-footprint programs, and still use an OS that will cache Gigabits of our RAM just because it can. These two are not mutually exclusive, they rather complement each other well. I understand that we may get a bit OCD about memory and system tidiness in general, but that doesn't mean we can't get better and realize we have it completely backwards.

And no, (gasp) Windows 7 is not a RAM hog. 1.5 out of 4 Gig cached does not equal 1.5 Gig used by the system. Look at Task Manager, Processes. THAT is what the system uses. System processes don't occupy more than ~200 MB.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 December 2010, 20:21:13 by godly_music »

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 21:10:49 »
Im assuming this wasn't directed at me, as I am a HUGE fan of using RAM. I use it for everything, which is why I want 16GB in my next machine.

The linux kernel manages memory just fine:
Code: [Select]
            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached                                                                                                            
Mem:          4050       3625        425          0        158       2320                                                                                                            
-/+ buffers/cache:       1146       2904                                                                                                                                              
Swap:         1992          0       1992                                                                                                                                              

~2.5GB cached of an available 4GB is fairly aggressive, but not so much that it would has caused ANYTHING to SO (which in itself is fine, so long as Im not swapping in, and as far as I know, linux favours the swap heavily for inactive pages). Just a note, this isnt even my machine, just a random I happen to be connected to, but I have found this to be true for most vanilla kernels. This can be tuned at the kernel level Im sure, but I have never needed to do so. There are lots of cool things that can increase performance by making use of idle RAM that can be activated on-the-fly, such as playing with tmpfs and different application scratches/tmp files.

Offline whininggit

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 02:05:56 »
I know that ramdisks have gone a bit out of fashion these days, but I still like to have a small 512MB ramdisk (out of the systems 6GB RAM) for the web browser's "disk" cache. The reason? Although Firefox has a memory cache and a disk cache, the memory cache is dropped when you exit Firefox. The disk cache is persistant. Not having to go back to the hard disk all the time gives a huge performance benefit if the disk is being hammered for other reasons.

Neither Windows 7 nor Vista use huge amounts of memory. They use an appropriate amount for an operating system of their generation, but then make better use of free memory. The only issue with Vistas memory management is that superfetch begins caching as soon as it boots, which makes things very sluggish for the first few minutes. If you use sleep rather than shutdown, you can avoid this problem. I never had any stability issues with either Vista or 7.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 06:59:24 »
Quote from: whininggit;259412
I know that ramdisks have gone a bit out of fashion these days, but I still like to have a small 512MB ramdisk (out of the systems 6GB RAM) for the web browser's "disk" cache. The reason? Although Firefox has a memory cache and a disk cache, the memory cache is dropped when you exit Firefox. The disk cache is persistant. Not having to go back to the hard disk all the time gives a huge performance benefit if the disk is being hammered for other reasons.

That's one of the tweaks I was referring to for nix. tmpfs is superior to a traditional ramdisk though since you get the benefit of dynamic resizing and swapability.

Offline kidchunks

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 08:27:13 »
Archlinux FTW :eek:
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline nmd

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 16:33:05 »
Archlinux would be my preferred choice but they dropped ATI support pretty hard for the video cards because of the open source drivers being trash(iirc.) If I had an nvidia card I'd use it if I didn't play any games.

Have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard so that's my *nix fix.

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 16:49:53 »
Quote from: nmd;259789
Archlinux would be my preferred choice but they dropped ATI support pretty hard for the video cards because of the open source drivers being trash(iirc.) If I had an nvidia card I'd use it if I didn't play any games.

Have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard so that's my *nix fix.

doesnt the AUR provide builds of Catalyst?

Offline nmd

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 23:45:57 »
It didn't at the time I tried it. Someone on the forums had a tutorial on how to get it to work but it involved a lot of downgrading things, ended up being too much trouble to bother with.

It may now though, haven't checked recently.

Offline thebilgerat

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 01:08:23 »
I have to say, if following clearly written instructions was too complicated there, SFC, hand your lappy to one of your privates who knows how to use a computer.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 04:22:57 »
In Ubuntu 10 most linksys cards should work straight out of the box. The thing with Linux is that with a distribution such as Ubuntu is that it comes with almost all drivers installed from the beginning. I have not in 8 year had to install a driver or do any "voodoo" stuff to make anything work in any of the Debian based distributions (such as Ubuntu).
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 07:01:04 »
Quote from: nmd;259962
It didn't at the time I tried it. Someone on the forums had a tutorial on how to get it to work but it involved a lot of downgrading things, ended up being too much trouble to bother with.

It may now though, haven't checked recently.

My question was actually rhetorical, it is ;)

Offline thebilgerat

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 12:43:49 »
Quote from: ripster;255204
Now that Linus Torvalds is American and his children hold American passports I'm sure every Linux install has NSA hooks embedded deep into the kernal.

Americans have nothing to hide-we gotta get dem terroristas!

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 03:06:08 »
Quote from: godly_music;259230
Windows Vista / 7 memory management is superior to everything that came before it (and so it satisfies the topic, Linux memory management gets a thumbs up too, even though it doesn't cache aggressively). Your views may hold more merit for the last era of computing where you had to scrounge for Kilobits. RAM is there to be used. If not used, it is wasted. Windows 7 eats up as much RAM as it can while there are no processes in need of it, so that programs can start quicker and the system becomes more responsive. It's called SuperFetch, learn it. The notion that you would have to optimize RAM is so ridiculous nowadays, I'm surprised that the guys who write these programs do so with a straight face.

We can be conscious about good programming practice and therefore low-footprint programs, and still use an OS that will cache Gigabits of our RAM just because it can. These two are not mutually exclusive, they rather complement each other well. I understand that we may get a bit OCD about memory and system tidiness in general, but that doesn't mean we can't get better and realize we have it completely backwards.

And no, (gasp) Windows 7 is not a RAM hog. 1.5 out of 4 Gig cached does not equal 1.5 Gig used by the system. Look at Task Manager, Processes. THAT is what the system uses. System processes don't occupy more than ~200 MB.

Yepp... This is very true. Microsoft have really made a awesome job with the memory handling in W7. Also the memory usage in .Net and it's garbage collector have been improved very much.

As you write, a good OS should use as much memory and CPU resources as possible at all time. There is almost always something to do... the important thing is that it gives back the resources when the user wants allocate them.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline bladamson

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 06:23:32 »
I agree.  I never used to take PCs seriously unless they were running some variety of Unix, but the last two releases of Windows have been fairly decent!  (Although Vista seemed to have some pretty heavy system requirements.)  I'm especially impressed with Windows 7.  Though I still prefer Linux.  Probably just because it's what I'm used to (and the cost lol).

On the flip side, Linux seems to have gotten pretty decent as an end-user desktop OS, too.  We've been refurbishing $50 off-lease laptops at a place I do some contracting work for, putting Ubuntu on them, and selling them to low-income households at-cost as internet-centric machines, and everyone seems very happy with them so far.

So yea, these days I think the OS wars really only come down to what environment you prefer. :P

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 06:40:11 »
Unix geeks...how DO they work???

Edit: do unix geeks still brag about not having to reboot as much as windows? When I used ubuntu, I had to reboot my machine way more often than my win 7 machine.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 December 2010, 06:56:39 by keyboardlover »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:11:38 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;268994
Edit: do unix geeks still brag about not having to reboot as much as windows? When I used ubuntu, I had to reboot my machine way more often than my win 7 machine.

lherzog@xunt:~$ uptime
07:58:40 up 645 days, 21:36,  1 user,  load average: 7.05, 5.60, 3.76
lherzog@xunt:~$
lherzog@xunt:~$ date
Sun Dec 26 08:03:41 CST 2010

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:16:38 »
Sounds like Ubuntu is to fail. Or PEBKAC. Probably both.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
F*ing *nix...
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:17:51 »
Well I used auto-update. It worked pretty much the same way it does in Windows.

Offline bladamson

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:22:27 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;268994
Unix geeks...how DO they work???

Show Image

Thoughts of sex require energy that could be spent hacking. :P

Asexual hackers unite! XD

I was in a relation**** with a unix geek for about 7 years.  Ultimately, I think it was unfulfilling for both of us.  Perhaps I'm aging, but I just don't really feel the need to get laid very often these days, and my head is a lot clearer for it lol.

As for the huge beard....  Yuck-o!  RMS makes us all look like crazy people, but I guess someone has to do the job...

Warning:  Totally Disgusting:

[SPECIAL]hl=en_US">hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/SPECIAL]

PS: How do I get rid of that funk that is appearing after SPECIAL embedded video blocks?

Offline nmd

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:24:44 »
Only times I ever had to reboot on *nix was when I updated a kernel. I have to reboot Windows * whenever I install/uninstall some programs, most updates, etc.

Offline iMav

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:30:33 »
Quote from: bladamson;269011
How do I get rid of that funk that is appearing after SPECIAL embedded video blocks?

Like this:

:)

(hint, just use the YouTube BBcode and the vid ID)

Wow.  That was nasty.

Offline bladamson

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 07:36:36 »
Quote from: nmd;269012
Only times I ever had to reboot on *nix was when I updated a kernel. I have to reboot Windows * whenever I install/uninstall some programs, most updates, etc.

It seems like the crappy rural power grid here goes down more often than I have to reboot, and I'm too cheap to replace the batteries in my UPSes.  Lol.  It's been hell with all this snow recently.  09:28:56 up 2 days, 15:18, 17 users,  load average: 0.98, 0.81, 0.66  Sadface.

That being said, I tend to reboot whenever the kernel or libc gets upgraded, or when linux's totally awful sound driver situation makes skype stop working right until I do a cold boot. -_-'

Offline instantkamera

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 11:36:32 »
Quote from: iMav;269006
lherzog@xunt:~$ uptime
07:58:40 up 645 days, 21:36,  1 user,  load average: 7.05, 5.60, 3.76
lherzog@xunt:~$ date
Sun Dec 26 08:03:41 CST 2010

holy load avg batman

Offline iMav

F*ing *nix...
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 26 December 2010, 11:46:22 »
Quote from: instantkamera;269118
holy load avg batman
It's a quad-core system...so not as bad as it might appear.  :)