Author Topic: Realforce Ergonomic Advantage (Over Filco Brown)  (Read 8455 times)

Offline notenoughkb

Realforce Ergonomic Advantage (Over Filco Brown)
« on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 04:10:53 »
Hey guys,

I currently have a Filco with brown cherries. I also have one with blue cherries that I'm in the process of selling because I prefer the lesser effort required to type on brown switches. The blue switches are definitely very fun to type on, but I find them a bit too much after prolonged typing (the sound and increased resistance gets to me after a while).

So long story short, I prefer brown switches to blue. Now, my question is, would I see a significant improvement in ergonomics and typing feel if I switch to a Realforce (or any topre-based keyboard for that matter)? Keep in mind, when I say "typing feel" I'm referring to the smooth, effortless feel of the browns; not the tactile, clicky feel of the blue switches.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 04:26:51 »
If you love the browns (which are great, BTW), stick with them.  I personally like the Cherry browns better then the Topre switches...but use Topre switches every day because, even more so, I prefer the HHKB key layout.  

(if I was to go with a "regular" layout keyboard, I'd go with a Filco "mini" every time)

Offline notenoughkb

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 05:42:59 »
Oh really? Hmm, wow thanks for the info. It was more just curiosity; I can't get enough of the browns but some people seem to give topre switches a god-like status so I've been wondering if it's worth the price premium lol :P.

Btw, how many posts did you have to make to get that "Site Admin" title?? O_o
(sorry, that was a joke >.>)

gnite.

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:14:52 »
Quote from: notenoughkb;255469
Btw, how many posts did you have to make to get that "Site Admin" title?? O_o
(sorry, that was a joke >.>)
Maybe I'm just still really tired this morning, but I actually laughed audibly when I read that.  :)

woody

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:21:05 »
The recent posts of people describing the Topre's lack of tactile bump lessened my curiosity to a good degree. In other words, I got marginally richer.

EDIT: How's that for a surprising anti-GH effect?

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:30:37 »
Richer maybe, but at the cost of ease of mind ;-)

Because, you know, what keyboards to like and dislike is very much a subjective thing. In other words, what others might like, you might not and vice versa.
The few people stating they would buy cherry brown over topre should be set against the many others who don't. :-)

Regards.
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

woody

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:38:05 »
It's my own preference for tactile bump, not the subjective opinions Topre vs brownies.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:40:18 »
Quote from: iMav;255454
If you love the browns (which are great, BTW), stick with them.  I personally like the Cherry browns better then the Topre switches...but use Topre switches every day because, even more so, I prefer the HHKB key layout.

Sounds like there needs to be a Cherry option in those kind of layouts. Perhaps an effort to attempt to revive the Miniguru is in order?

The lack of a tactile bump is what is keeping me from investigating a Topre board. I've come to love my Blues and Buckle Springs a great deal, and the "bump" in the Browns is almost invisible but still there to the discerning user. Perhaps a bit too soft for me though.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

woody

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:47:24 »
Quote from: Azuremen;255485
The lack of a tactile bump is what is keeping me from investigating a Topre board. I've come to love my Blues and Buckle Springs a great deal, and the "bump" in the Browns is almost invisible but still there to the discerning user. Perhaps a bit too soft for me though.

Same boat.

Offline SirClickAlot

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 06:49:33 »
I don't understand : ' Lack of tactile bump' . The Topre boards sure have a tactile bump..... *puzzle*

Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):

woody

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 07:11:16 »
Do they? I read on GH they don't. Looking at the curves I see a bump that is so wide in travelling distance and so small in force delta, that it seems hard to impossible to feel.

Offline SirClickAlot

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 07:23:04 »
Quote from: woody;255495
Do they? I read on GH they don't. Looking at the curves I see a bump that is so wide in travelling distance and so small in force delta, that it seems hard to impossible to feel.

Erm, I own 3 topre keyboards. They all have a bump all the way on top. Much heavier than a cherry brown..... The cherry brown hardly has a bump.

Are we having the same definition for a 'tactile bump'????

Regards.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 07:34:00 »
Topres have a tactile bump, but IMO, it's in the wrong place.  I like the Cherry force curve better where the stroke builds to the tactile bump, and the bump is where the activation occurs.

woody

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:08:13 »
A bump is the obstacle that requires you to build up force to proceed further, then you get a decrease in required force (downfall), wishfully near switch activation. After that you go kinda linearly (or whatever) again up in force to bottoming out.

It serves you to know you have (nearly) actuated the switch and at the same time prevent unwanted effect from light touch.

MX brownies have a well recognizable bump, but you can miss it with heavy strokes.

woody

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:13:27 »
Quote from: SirClickAlot;255503
Are we having the same definition for a 'tactile bump'????

Perhaps not. "Bump" as in the force/travel curve. It's your tactile feedback on or about actuation. Added sound as in MX blues is the auditory kind of feedback.

itlnstln has the right bump. Or so his GF said.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:22:04 »
In short, it might feel better for you and it might not. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to buy one. If you don't like it, I'm sure you won't have a difficult time reselling it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:24:52 »
It might not really feel like a bump, but it usually looks like one on force curve charts.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:39:08 »
lol, This is why I like all enthusiast forums. In the end the only answer is: "I don't know, you'll have to just buy one"
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

woody

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:45:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;255540
It might not really feel like a bump, but it usually looks like one on force curve charts.
Like I said, it's too wide and kinda short (as in height) visually, so could be beyond perception. And by your words, I get the feeling it precedes the actuation by far too much travel.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:00:46 »
The Topre's "bump" is right at the top of the stroke, so you would be correct as the switch activates a little further down.  In the case of the Cherrys, the bump is roughly the activation point.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:08:45 »
Everything we say here about a particular keyboard or even a comparison between two keyboards is subjective. Like ironman31 has said, in the end, you'll have to try one to know for sure.

This is how I compare the brown and the Topre:

Topre
Most of the force required to get the keys moving are needed right from the beginning. After that, the keys are very light.

Brown Cherry
Less force is required than the Topre to get the keys moving. The force needed gradually increased until the tactile bump, the they keys become light.

Although brown Cherry is not my absolute favourite, I can say that it's the switch that cause th e less fatigue over a long period of typing.  Very springy and very nice to type on certain days.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:21:02 »
Quote from: ripster
Big advantage of the Topre is it's quiet, has variable weighting (if you get the RealForce 87U), and has the best keys in the biz.

The 103U and 86U have variable weighting too...

Offline iMav

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:30:02 »
Bottom line, if you love the Brown's and the layout of your Filco, it all a matter of whether you want to indulge your curiosity.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:06:10 »
Quote from: ripster;255560
Big advantage of the Topre is it's quiet...

I just wish the spacebar were a bit less noisy.

Quote from: iMav;255576
Bottom line, if you love the Brown's and the layout of your Filco, it all a matter of whether you want to indulge your curiosity.

Good point.

woody

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:09:34 »
Big advantage of the Topre is ... the best keys in the biz.

Ahem, careful with that. Best as in?

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:14:51 »
Quote from: iMav;255576

The curiosity grows bigger with each purchase of a keyboard. :eek:
Looking to order one in the middle of next year. Should be enough time for me to try out a few diff boards. Don't know how I'll explain that purchase to people. They laugh when I told them I spent $111 on my GHSS hehe.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:16:58 by kidchunks »
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

woody

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:17:39 »
Keycap, ok.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:50:08 »
Big advantage of the Topre is it's quiet, has variable weighting (if you get the RealForce 87U), and has the best keys in the biz.

If you're not interested in any of that save your money and buy a couple of Filcos.

Topres are quiet (so are all domes), variable weighting is a detractor in my opinion.  Keys, yeah they are very nice feeling and looking however very hard to read black on black unless you're in a very bright room.  (oh my aging 35 year old eyes)

There is a diff also in plate mounted cherry browns and pcb mounted cherry browns, although no PCB mounted cherry browns are easily available for purchase.  PCB mounted cherry browns are much nicer esp. when you bottom out.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:52:54 »
The variable weighting is so subtle, you don't even notice it when typing.  I think variable weighting gets a little over-played on GH, IMO.  You can feel it if you press keys in isolation, but in typing, you don't even notice it.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 10:54:46 »
Actually I wish the whole topre was 45grams cause I love the snap of the 45gram switches.  The lighter ones don't snap as much.  My wife had the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa problem, I never ran into that.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline kite

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 14:35:23 »
I already plan on purchasing a Realforce Tenkeyless, just to see if i'd like it, as my second mech keyboard.. and i have not even purchased my first one!! Damn you all!

(Hope i didn't offend anyone :D Driving carefully, being a new member and not knowing what it takes to be hunted down with pitchforkes and very heavy, burning keyboards :o)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 14:39:03 »
Quote from: kite

(Hope i didn't offend anyone :D Driving carefully, being a new member and not knowing what it takes to be hunted down with pitchforkes and very heavy, burning keyboards :o)

That sounds like it would make a really cool scene in a movie.

Offline kite

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 14:41:30 »
And i really need something for my bachelor of arts thesis :D

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 14:44:11 »
Quote from: kite;255822
And i really need something for my bachelor of arts thesis :D

You're writing a paper on keyboards?

Offline kite

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 14:45:50 »
Heh no ^^ but i'm thinking about making a 2D or 3D animated short.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 14:55:20 »
Quote from: kite;255830
Heh no ^^ but i'm thinking about making a 2D or 3D animated short.

Haha...I knew you were not writing on keyboards.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 19:55:02 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;255595
I just wish the spacebar were a bit less noisy.

It's far less noisy than the filco's spacebar
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 19:58:09 »
Quote from: ironman31;256023
It's far less noisy than the filco's spacebar

We must have a different styping style for mine seems to be noisier than my Filco with brown.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 20:10:23 »
I might be hitting too hard :)

The Realforce's is much deeper though
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 20:12:47 »
Quote from: ironman31;256035
I might be hitting too hard :)

The Realforce's is much deeper though

I am also under the impression that the spacebar on the Topre requires more force than the spacebar on the Filco. The Filco spacebar has a brown switch just like the other keys on the keyboard. Because of this, I too tend to press a bit harder on the spacebar when I'm using my Topre.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 21:15:33 »
Ripster - what's the best way to remove a Topre spacebar without causing damage?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 December 2010, 07:08:51 »
I gently lift one edge of the spacebar until it releases, then the other.  After both supports have released, I pull up in the center.  No muss, no fuss.   I think the Topre spacebar is much quieter than the Filco.  I still like the Filco spacebar the best.  Ka-chunk.