Author Topic: Getting rid of my Customizer  (Read 1747 times)

Offline patrickgeekhack

Getting rid of my Customizer
« on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 07:55:11 »
I am about to get rid of my Customizer. I was never able to make it feel the same as it was before I tried to silence the keys. Is there anything worth keeping instead of throwing the whole thing away? The controller? The shell?

Offline VentiLator

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:04:41 »
the caps, the springs/hammers...?

you may want to make it tenkeyless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 08:57:41 »
I thought you couldn't make it tenkeyless, due to the controller location. On mine, it's directly above the 10-key.

And if you're going to toss it, can I have it? I'll pay for shipping.

I assume you added grease to it to make it quieter?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:16:47 »
Quote from: theferenc;255551
I thought you couldn't make it tenkeyless, due to the controller location. On mine, it's directly above the 10-key.

And if you're going to toss it, can I have it? I'll pay for shipping.

I assume you added grease to it to make it quieter?

You can have it. Please note that I did the following:

- Applied grease
- Tried to remove the grease
- Pull each spring and cleaned them as much as possible
- Put the spring back. I don't know if I did a good job. Some spring got busted.

If you still want it, I can take it to the post office to evaluate the shipping cost. This will have to wait until the new year though. It's not a good time to do this and I am very busy with my coming exam. Let me know. I don't have a use for this keyboard anyway.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:23:56 »
I'm perfectly happy to wait. Let me know, and then we can work out a way to pay you. Even with some grease on them, they should work for what I want to do with them.

Out of curiosity, is it the black or the beige? Not that it matters to me, but I'm curious.

Good luck on your exam, whatever it is.

Edit: Oh, and it's to ZIP code 47403 in the US.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 December 2010, 09:26:37 by theferenc »
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 06:16:01 »
Quote from: theferenc;255572

Out of curiosity, is it the black or the beige? Not that it matters to me, but I'm curious.

Good luck on your exam, whatever it is.

Edit: Oh, and it's to ZIP code 47403 in the US.

It's the black shell. The Customizer 104 was not avaible in beige. I will check the shipping cost in the new year. I'm taking a Physiolgical Psychology class. It's my 20th course since I started my part-time studies. I can honestly say that this is the hardest course I've taken. I've taken very hard courses before, but this one is the killer. Usually, I am not happy if I don't get a very good grade. But, this time, I'll make an exception. I will be very happy to get a passing grade. Thanks for the wish.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 09:04:27 »
Yeah, definitely good luck. I don't think I could do that...and that's something I rarely say about any course.