Author Topic: Help choose a keyboard (buckling spring)  (Read 4625 times)

Offline fuzzpop

Help choose a keyboard (buckling spring)
« on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 03:46:54 »
Hi everyone!

This is my second thread on "which keyboard I should get." However, I no longer demand an extra large spacebar, and I am ruling out Filco keyboards. I went to the shop today and tried out how "great" this famous cherry blue switches are. Result: not my cup of tea. Too little tactile feedback and insufficient resistance. It's simply too light for my liking. As for the sound, it's high pitched and quite annoying. I will not spend $125 on it.

I think I would like a keyboard that uses buckling spring (or Alps switches?) for its much heavier feel (70g?) and more mellow sound.

Topres are also very well regarded, but I cannot find a topre keyboard with uniform force.

So could you recommend me a keyboard with the following requirements please?

• Tenkeyless. No numerical/number pad.
  • Very sharp tactile feedback.
  • Preferably black in colour with white prints, much like how filco keyboards are. Black on black is also good (realforce)

Thank you very much in advance for any advise. Your help will be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 December 2010, 07:21:26 by fuzzpop »

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 03:56:25 »
The only way to get a black on black tenkeyless buckling spring keyboard is to get a space saving keyboard and an m13 and paint the case black. at least one member on here has done this.  it looks quite nice, but is pretty costly.

i myself don't really like any of the switches made, but i love buckling springs!
I <3 BS

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 04:02:20 »
Why not try a Geekhack space saver?  

Lately, I've been using one of mine regularly on my work laptop.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 09:11:42 »
You can get the 86u in black, I believe, as well as the 87u, both with uniform 55g keys.

But I don't think you'll like topre boards. You mentioned needing tactile feedback...the topre is very, very, very smooth.

I think you'll be happiest with the buckling springs, assuming you can put together one that meets your needs. My ALPS board, at least, isn't particularly heavy, or super tactile. I think it's nice, but it isn't what you waid you want.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 09:16:38 »
Quote from: theferenc;256887
You can get the 86u in black, I believe, as well as the 87u, both with uniform 55g keys.

Where on earth can you get either of those? Link?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 09:23:07 »
Oh, I have no idea where to buy them new. But I've seen both. EKB claims the 86u in black exists, anyway. And I've actually only ever seen the 87u in black.

But the only versions of either of these boards I've seen in real life are 55g. The 86u (black) was purchased in Korea, the 87u from EKB, before they were out of stock.

I might have the numbering wrong, as now that I think about, don't the uniform force models have a "B" at the end of their model number?
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 09:43:16 »
Quote from: theferenc

But the only versions of either of these boards I've seen in real life are 55g. The 86u (black) was purchased in Korea, the 87u from EKB, before they were out of stock.

Both of those keyboards are very difficult to find new outside of Asia. The 87U is near impossible to find new outside of Korea (although I seem to recall Ripster finding it on a Chinese site like PCHome or ArmyGroup recently) - I believe the price was $300 before shipping. I was extremely lucky to find my 87U barely used on ebay.

I would personally recommend the Realforce 91UBY at the Keyboard Company - it's uniform 45g, very limited edition, and comes out to about $326.78 shipped to the USA. It's a Japanese layout though, in case that's a dealbreaker. Note: They are currently out of stock but Bruce said they will restock close to Christmas.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:09:11 »
Quote from: fuzzpop;256828
Hi everyone!

This is my second thread on "which keyboard I should get." However, I no longer demand an extra large spacebar, and I am ruling out Filco keyboards. I went to the shop today and tried out how "great" this famous cherry blue switches are. Result: not my cup of tea. Too little tactile feedback and insufficient resistance. It's simply too light for my liking. As for the sound, it's high pitched and quite annoying. I will not spend $125 on it.

I think I would like a keyboard that uses buckling spring (or Alps switches?) for its much heavier feel (70g?) and more mellow sound.

Topres are also very well regarded, but I cannot find a topre keyboard with uniform force.

So could you recommend me a keyboard with the following requirements please?

• Tenkeyless. No numerical/number pad.
  • Very sharp tactile feedback.
  • Preferably black in colour with white prints, much like how filco keyboards are. Black on black is also good (realforce)

Thank you very much in advance for any advise. Your help will be much appreciated!

Used Filco Zero?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:32:55 »
Well, as you've said, they do occasionally show up on ebay. I'm hoping I find someone that wants a kinesis advantage, and doesn't want a black 86/87u in either uniform or variable keyweighting.

Similar price ranges, so trading should be doable. *If* I can find someone like that.

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 18:52:52 »
Quote from: kill will;256829
The only way to get a black on black tenkeyless buckling spring keyboard is to get a space saving keyboard and an m13 and paint the case black. at least one member on here has done this.  it looks quite nice, but is pretty costly.

i myself don't really like any of the switches made, but i love buckling springs!

I think I'll have it in its original colour because I'm not particularly good at doing modifications of any kind. I'll probably make a mess of my keyboard. :biggrin:

Where can I get a space saving keyboard? I don't recall unicomp selling it... so I guess ebay is the only way to obtain one?

Quote from: iMav;256832
Why not try a Geekhack space saver?  

Lately, I've been using one of mine regularly on my work laptop.

I don't quite like the fact that the ~ key is now on the right side of the keyboard. But I'm willing to get this if I really cannot find the IBM space saver.
Why don't companies make a keyboard with a regular layout, much like what filco does??? :mad:

Quote from: Pylon;256912
Used Filco Zero?

No. I'll give it a try if I can find one. Has the controller problem been resolved?

Japanese Realforce 91UBY is out of stock!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 18:56:54 »
If you didn't think Blue Cherry switches were tactile enough, forget about the Realforce. Some sort of Model M is the way to go.

It should be noted that the IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard is quite a wide keyboard for a tenkeyless... Unicomp's Spacesaver keyboard is only about an inch or two wider than it.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 18:56:54 »
Quote from: fuzzpop;257174

Japanese Realforce 91UBY is out of stock!

Chill bro! Bruce from the Keyboard Co said they are planning to re-stock sometime close to Christmas.

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 December 2010, 19:53:01 by keyboardlover »

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 20:17:59 »
The $100 IBM looks very attractive. Thanks laden3 for the link!

Quote from: ch_123;257178
If you didn't think Blue Cherry switches were tactile enough, forget about the Realforce. Some sort of Model M is the way to go.

It should be noted that the IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard is quite a wide keyboard for a tenkeyless... Unicomp's Spacesaver keyboard is only about an inch or two wider than it.

Every inch counts! :D

Edit - so there is no alternative to IBM's space saving keyboard that uses buckling springs?
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 December 2010, 03:22:11 by fuzzpop »

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 18:52:01 »
Is there any other alternatives to the IBM Model M Space Saver Clicky Keyboard 1397681?

If there isn't, I'm going to order this keyboard from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Model-M-Space-Saver-Clicky-Keyboard-1397681-/250737023290?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3a6117593a

Offline theferenc

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 19:53:28 »
Good luck getting it. Those tend to go in the $150 range, just so you know. At least the last three I bid on did.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 20:13:14 »
Fair enough. All of the ones I've bid on in the past few weeks are in the $150-160 range. Except this one, which only went for $118.75. Still more than I wanted to spend on it, though.

Offline jpc

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 21:17:57 »
Quote from: fuzzpop;257768
Is there any other alternatives to the IBM Model M Space Saver Clicky Keyboard 1397681?

Do you like buckling spring swtiches?  If you don't know -- then it will be much cheaper to buy a full-size Model M with a numpad and try that for a while.

If you're anywhere near Boston, I can give you contact info for a guy who has about 20 full-size Model Ms stashed away. He has sold me a few for $10 each. They run for about $40 shipped on ebay.

If you like buckling spring switches, and you like a compact layout (no numpad) then your only option is the IBM Space Saving Keyboards. They aren't in production anymore, so the only avenues to find one are ebay, the GH classifieds, or being real lucky at a yard sale.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline fuzzpop

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 23:32:25 »
Quote from: ripster;257783
Not sure what you mean.  If you mean are there other part numbers sure.  If you mean will Unicomp ship one any day  now I think it's safe to say you should go for the Ebay one.

The latter. :wink:

Quote from: jpc;257846
  • Do you like buckling spring swtiches?  If you don't know -- then it will be much cheaper to buy a full-size Model M with a numpad and try that for a while.
  • If you're anywhere near Boston, I can give you contact info for a guy who has about 20 full-size Model Ms stashed away. He has sold me a few for $10 each. They run for about $40 shipped on ebay.
  • If you like buckling spring switches, and you like a compact layout (no numpad) then your only option is the IBM Space Saving Keyboards. They aren't in production anymore, so the only avenues to find one are ebay, the GH classifieds, or being real lucky at a yard sale.

• I don't know, unfortunately.
  • No where near Boston. I'm on the other side of the globe.:smile:

Thanks for all your replies! I'll try out an IBM keyboard, and if I really like it, I'll spend >$100 on a space saver. If I don't, I'll stick to my logitech keyboard that uses membrane.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 December 2010, 23:34:56 by fuzzpop »