Author Topic: Steelseries 6gv2 PS/2 help  (Read 11209 times)

Offline greenade

Steelseries 6gv2 PS/2 help
« on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:21:23 »
Hi, i registered in this forum because some anon at /g/ told me you could help.
I connected my keyboard to my pc in ps/2 port when it was off, and some american megatrends thing appeared saying in the end "NO keyboard detected".
How do i make it detect the keyboard?

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:31:18 »
I assume you plugged it into the right PS2 port, so I'll leave that out.

Anyway.. is the Steelseries 6gv2 actually PS2 compatible? If the controller does not support PS2 you will not be able to use it over PS2. Even the expensive Realforce keyboards actually do not work over PS2 since their controller only supports the USB protocol. Filco is different, these work on both protocols.

I did a quick search and could not find any info on PS2 compatibility or not. Does the box claim full nkey over ps2?

Offline greenade

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:31:50 »
Quote from: greenade;256915
Hi, i registered in this forum because some anon at /g/ told me you could help.
I connected my keyboard to my pc in ps/2 port when it was off, and some american megatrends thing appeared saying in the end "NO keyboard detected".
How do i make it detect the keyboard?

Quote from: ripster;256919
Welcome to Geekhack!

Probably a power thing.  Happens ALL the time.   Crappy PS/2 port implementation these days.  Plug it into USB.

We are quite famous at /b/ too.

weird, my case is an antec twelve hundred and my old keyboard worked well in ps/2

Offline greenade

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:32:54 »
Quote from: sixty;256921

Anyway.. is the Steelseries 6gv2 actually PS2 compatible? If the controller does not support PS2 you will not be able to use it over PS2. Even the expensive Realforce keyboards actually do not work over PS2 since their controller only supports the USB protocol. Filco is different, these work on both protocols.

I did a quick search and could not find any info on PS2 compatibility or not. Does the box claim full nkey over ps2?

yeah, it comes with a ps/2 adapter and instructions say to connect with usb or ps2

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:33:05 »
SteelSeries 6Gv2 includes the adapter in the box:

Quote from: SteelSeries
The 6Gv2 is built with a USB as standard, but we also included a USB to PS/2 adapter in the box. The choice is yours.

We absolutely recommend using the PS/2 connector when possible. First,it will give you total freedom with no limit to the amount of simultaneous key presses. And, equally as important, using the PS/2 may just improve your overall gaming experience. The reason is that when you use a USB keyboard your computer is actually using CPU time polling your keyboard. The higher the polling rate the more CPU time is used to perform the polling. And because of the built-in debounce rate found on any quality keyboard, any polling rate above 200Hz is simply a waste of CPU time and really just a result of pointless marketing hype. Unlike USB keyboards a PS/2 keyboard isn’t polled at all. The keyboard simply sends a signal to the computer as key presses are made, which causes a hardware interrupt, forcing the CPU to register the signal.

Offline greenade

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:34:01 »
oh, and my motherboard is a asus m4a79t deluxe

Offline greenade

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:46:31 »
wat do?

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 10:58:28 »
don throw away that purple thing. lol.
they are useful.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 23:00:27 »
Quote from: sixty;256921

Thats what i don't get. Why is the more expensive realforce not able to do what the Filco can ?
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 00:03:47 »
HHKB pro II NKRO right? they the topre with NKRO i believe.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 01:00:07 »
Quote from: kalrykh;257340
The board supports it but doesn't work with a ps/2 adapter. You'll need to find a driver or software solution to get nkro.

Oh i didn't know this. Are you talking about the realforce keyboards ? If so has anyone managed to find a fix for it like you mentioned ?

So do you mean get the NKRO over the USB :d ?
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 10:52:36 »
Hm. OP is a ***got. Install gentoo.
>implying implications.

Now that that's out of the way, as has been said, just plug it in USB. We're currently working on a way to get NKRO over USB, but greater minds than I have been having trouble with it...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline greenade

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 12:36:14 »
hey i left the other day, i'm back, the usb works, only ps/2 doesn't. i guess i will have to use usb.

Offline Konrad

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 12:48:49 »
Just try the keyboard on different computers which have working PS/2 keyboards.  If the 6Gv2 still doesn't work then the problem is likely the PS/2 connector, cable, or the keyboard electronics.  If it does work then the problem is the AMI computer which won't accept it.

I'm assuming the AMI BIOS "Legacy Keyboard/Mouse Support" option is enabled?  PS/2 just won't work without.