Author Topic: Model M Repair/Cleaning and Story  (Read 2082 times)

Offline turbocharged

Model M Repair/Cleaning and Story
« on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 17:45:49 »
So I got this 1989 Model M in yesterday that was "untested and sold as-is," but to my surprise the seller (Detroitsoldier from OCN) neglected to send a SDL to PS/2 cable with the board. All he had to say was "in the pictures, I did not include the cable as I did not have any extra" and "I don't really know what to tell you beyond that, sorry." Really shady way of doing business if you ask me.

Here are the pictures of what I recieved:

After taking it apart though, I found out it didn't matter if I had the SDL to PS/2 cable anyway because the connector on the PCB was broken.

So, I asked myself, how can I get this working and not spend more money? I know...take apart an old rubber dome keyboard and steal PS/2 cable from it. Cut the wires with a bit of length just in case and when to solder them to the IBM's PCB.

I found the PS/2 wikipedia article and used a multimeter to figure out the pinout of the PS/2 cable. And used this Model M USB guide to figure out what locations on the PCB did what.

Then I proceeded to clean the case and keys with denture tabs while it was apart. Results were pretty astounding.

And to finish the story...I just typed this entire post on the Model M that got the PS/2 transplant. :)
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline wanabe

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 17:50:49 »
nice job on the refurb...looks great

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 20:37:38 »
Thanks, I'll probably end up doing the USB mod now that I know the keyboard works, but it wasn't worth the $20 for the adapter on an untested board.
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Losttsol

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 20:47:48 »
I'm glad that worked out for you (with a lot of work on your part).  There is a difference between selling as-is and not being totally upfront.  I think that the seller didn't present the whole story, which is very lame on his part.  I've sold and bought a good many items on OCN and only had one instance of something like that happening.  I bought an old video card and the seller neglected to say that he had cut the built in fan wires at one time.  He reattached them with electrical tape and it works, but still that is something that should be noted before selling it.
Keyboards: Deck Legend ToXiC, Dell AT-101W
Mice:
Mionix Naos 3200, Logitech MX620, Razer Diamondback 3G

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 09:51:02 »
Quote from: Losttsol;257231
I bought an old video card and the seller neglected to say that he had cut the built in fan wires at one time.  He reattached them with electrical tape and it works, but still that is something that should be noted before selling it.

Sad thing is that I bet that happens more than people realize. They think...it works...no reason to disclose anything else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 December 2010, 09:53:25 »
Quote from: ripster;257237
My favorite at OCN is the guy that sold a Brown Cherry Das and the guy that bought it kept complaining about the Clicks.

It ended up being a Blue Cherry.

rofl..
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com