Author Topic: Realforce key feel worth an extra $100?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline fuzzybaffy

Realforce key feel worth an extra $100?
« on: Sat, 04 December 2010, 22:41:17 »
So, I'm in the market for a Realforce, but I'm unfortunately interested in a Korean-lettered version. Unfortunate, because the Korean-lettered version goes for an extra $100, since it's only purchasable from Korea: http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_search/search_total.asp?selecturl=total&SearchClassFormWord=goodsSearch&keyword=topre A Korean Realforce 104 (they have a 104 now!) for $313.67 plus international shipping vs. a Realforce 103 from Elitekeyboards for $230 plus domestic shipping and tax.

The other alternative is to just purchase an English Realforce 103, and attach those Korean-lettered stickers: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=korean%20keyboard%20stickers&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Akorean%20keyboard%20stickers&page=1

The problem with that is, I lose the supposedly legendary Topre key feel.

So, it's Korean-lettered Topre for ~$370 vs. an English Topre with cheap Korean stickers for ~$270.

So I figured, another way to look at it is, I'd potentially be paying an extra $100 just for the Topre key feel alone.

Is it worth it? I'm inclined to say no, but if there's some overwhelming majority who say yes, I might consider.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 07:54:25 »
I don't understand.  You would get the same Topre feel from both keyboards.  The extra $100 just gets you Korean legends.  At that point, you have to decide how often you are going to be typing in Korean.  IMO, being the aesthetic that I am, I would spend the extra $100 and just get the one with Korean legends; they look pretty cool, and your keys won't be gummed up with adhesive from using stickers.  If anything, it'll help with resale value down the road.

Offline ktkr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 08:07:12 »
Quote from: itlnstln;257969
I don't understand.  You would get the same Topre feel from both keyboards.  The extra $100 just gets you Korean legends.  At that point, you have to decide how often you are going to be typing in Korean.  IMO, being the aesthetic that I am, I would spend the extra $100 and just get the one with Korean legends; they look pretty cool, and your keys won't be gummed up with adhesive from using stickers.  If anything, it'll help with resale value down the road.

I completely agree. I'd pay 100 bucks more if the other option is plastering  some ****ty stickers. Think of the keyboard, man. They have feelings too.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 12:21:49 »
can you place the stickers on the "under side" of the keys, sorta like how old school keyboards had "copY and "paste" under "c" and "v". then you'd see the keys without the gummy.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 15:34:50 »
Quote from: itlnstln;257969

I meant key cap feel. Since the stickers go on top of the key caps, I'd lose the feeling of the key cap texture; I wanted to know how substantially different/better the texture was, compared to other keyboards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 December 2010, 15:38:21 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline stuiees

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 15:38:32 »
DUDE!!! If you going to spend that kind of money on a nice keyboard, dont comprimize by putting stickers over the keys.  Spend the xtra money and do it right.  You will regret going the mickey mouse route if you do.
I like Topre!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 15:48:48 »
I still would spend the extra $100.  I don't like the idea of putting stickers on my 'boards.  That said, Topre has the best keycaps in the business.  To me, it's part of the experience.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 16:01:21 »
Quote from: ripster;258249
I got an idea.  Buy the one with black lettering on charcoal.

Then it won't matter because you won't be able to read the english labels either.

Honestly, more manufacturers need to offer that style, because they look pretty badass and it's just as easy to annoy your friends with as an Otaku board is.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline ynih

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 02:39:53 »
But they are hella hard to read under only a monitor light :( :( My black 104 55g is black and black keys...almost impossible to read at night when gaming with only 1 monitor providing the light....oh well I will have to learn to deal
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W