Author Topic: Anybody hear about MX switch prices going up 15%?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline jimmy919

Anybody hear about MX switch prices going up 15%?
« on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 22:51:51 »
In the not-so-distant past, I dreamt about building a line of mechanical keyboards and trying to sell them in the US.  I made contacts with a number of trading companies/manufacturers in Taiwan and South Korea over this time, but nothing panned out.  Then, just yesterday, I got an e-mail from a Costar rep "checking in on me".  

They mentioned that starting in January, MX switches will be increasing in price by 15% and obtaining the switches would increase from 1-2 months to 6 months.  

Now, I'm not sure if this is affecting smaller runs through Costar, or if it's supposed to impact all Costar-related brands, or even the industry as a whole.  Has anybody else heard about this?  I can't tell if that means most boards will be seeing prices increase, or if we're going to see worse shortages like with Filco.
Currently Using:  Filco MX Blue Tenkeyless with GeekHack Double-shot Keycaps

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 23:02:34 »
That's right... Give in to your feelings of panic.  They are going to stop makeing MX switches very soon.  You know it in your heart to be true.  Stockpile as many Mechanic Cherry keyboards as you can.  Your running out of time.

Hopefully this panic causes a huge spike in demand, so much so that they have to open up new factories and produce more.  Then, when there is a massive surplus, I can get a few for really cheap.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 23:18:33 »
Quote from: 8_INCH_FLOPPY;259313
Hopefully this panic causes a huge spike in demand, so much so that they have to open up new factories and produce more.  Then, when there is a massive surplus, I can get a few for really cheap.

More likely it would drive up prices in the near term. Most companies are aware of and try to avoid the bullwhip effect in their supply chain.

(Which is going to happen to all of Costar's customers due to a greater lead time, of course. 4 extra months is a pretty substantial delay!)

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 23:19:39 »
Cherry strikes me as a company that, once it starts doing something, by god is going to do it, no matter how the market changes or how stupid their plan becomes. Huge spike in demand of mechanical switches? Well, we already fired one dude so we must continue on with our plan of dismantling that division!

CONSISTENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 December 2010, 23:21:38 »
If you have a highly desirable and profitable product and the market will tolerate higher prices, why not increase your profit margin? I doubt this is going to drive anyone out of business.

Offline jimmy919

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 00:16:07 »
Quote from: ripster;259311
Ask Costar to "Talk Dirt" on their competition, specifically Leopold.

Hah, well I don't recall them talking bad about other companies, but they were certainly rude in their e-mails.  Definitely had that feeling of "We know we make popular keyboards and we don't really need your business."

Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;259327
If you have a highly desirable and profitable product and the market will tolerate higher prices, why not increase your profit margin?

Yeah, I figure that mechanical keyboard owners are not as sensitive to price increases as other keyboard customers.  Kind of like how a bottle of Cristal or Dom Perignon can sell so well.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 00:43:27 »
My contact at Cherry just texted me that "all is according to plans", what the heck?
keyboards!

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 00:49:01 »
You have to wonder if Cherry is just trying to mess with us. I'd be curious to know if there are any hits form their netblock on geekhack's IP logs.

I think they're doing this stuff on purpose.

Offline jimmy919

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 01:03:47 »
I heard back from a contact that works with the manufacturer for Ducky keyboards and they confirmed the increase.  I guess a notice was sent out earlier in the year, so the 15% is more or less old news.

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 01:47:13 »
Don't worry, when Cherry goes out of business, Omron will be there to take up the slack.  Then we can sit back and enjoy our vintage Filcos.  Eventually the Japanese Omrons will be better, but because they feel different we'll complain about how they don't make them like they used to, kick back grumbling in our hoverchairs, and keep polishing on the Retr0d4rk (matte of course).
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 03:34:15 »
Well now, that was rather impressive. =)
bravo, bravo
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory