Author Topic: Want to dye some keys this weekend...can't decide what to do.  (Read 2642 times)

Offline turbocharged

Want to dye some keys this weekend...can't decide what to do.
« on: Thu, 09 December 2010, 19:53:08 »
So I want to dye my Cherry MX-11900 this weekend but can't figure out exactly what I want to do. I already bought RIT dye in Scarlet, Black, and Dark Green...however, I was considering yellow and royal blue as well.

Right now I plan on dyeing/painting the case with Duplicolor's flat black Vinyl and Fabric paint, but the key color is still in question. I was thinking about doing it dark green like this guy's, but I'm not sure. Also, was considering doing all the letters/numbers/numpad/home,end,delete,etc red then blacking out everything else (shift,control, F-keys, arrows, etc).

All I really know is that I want a black chassis...any random ideas?

First I'm going to do a dye test run on this HP keyboard...since I already stole the PS2 cable from it and it is pretty much useless.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2010, 19:55:23 by turbocharged »
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline msiegel

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 00:43:03 »
Quote from: msiegel;260403
british racing green?

http://slyoyster.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/mufp_0709_04_z+american_handcrafted_auto_show+british_racing_green.jpg

Interesting idea....never like BRG on cars much, but it could work on a keyboard.
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 06:55:53 »
The keys on the test keyboard must have been made of the same type of plastic as your Cherry keys, or the result will be different.
🍉

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:32:09 »
I wish you good luck on the dye job. I have been staying far away from dying since my last experiment:

Maybe its about time for me to give it another try too?

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:48:54 »
Quote from: Findecanor;260590
The keys on the test keyboard must have been made of the same type of plastic as your Cherry keys, or the result will be different.

True...I'm doing it more to just figure out the process first hand, not really to see how the keys react.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline 2084

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 07:55:19 »
Haha sixty the result is awesome if your going for the caffeine/nicotine look

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 December 2010, 08:49:25 »
1) Buy two of each color you want. The first 20 minutes of each package are worth more than all the remaining minutes.

2) Consider darker keys for non-printing characters like ctrl, shift, enter. I find keyboards with no logic in their color use to be confusing and harder to use. But then my IQ is only 143, same as George W bush.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 09:24:50 »
So I think I am going to go with the Golden Yellow for all the letter keys and such, then the black out the Ctrl, shift, etc. I am not sure about the F-keys and printscn,del,end,etc....I bought some tangerine dye as well, but that might make the whole thing look too tropical.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 10:17:39 »
Dye all the keys green and purple with one white one in a pattern like the picture below:
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS