Author Topic: Model M Spacesaver doesn't work?...  (Read 2026 times)

Offline shakudan

Model M Spacesaver doesn't work?...
« on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 02:07:22 »
Hello to all keyboard lovers!

I'm quite new to this keyboard hobby (just started half a year ago) and have very little experience when it comes to modding.  So far I own a Filco Brown Tenkeyless (traded with Zykos), Filco Blue Tenkeyless Otaku, and a Full-size Model M Keyboard and they all work remarkably.  Recently, I managed to get hold of a Model M Spacesaver and I was so eager to test it out on my T60 Thinkpad via Adesso USB to PS/2 Adapter.  When I plugged it in however, the Thinkpad did not register any keys from the keyboard (I also tested the adapter out using a PS/2 mouse and it works).  

So I tried plugging the Model M Spacesaver to an old desktop computer (Dell Dimension 2400) via PS/2 port and this time, the system gave me constant beeping sounds (six beeps at startup) and the desktop computer also doesn't register any keys.  I also tried the adapter for this computer and it still doesn't work.  This led me to think that it's either a cable problem or it could be an internal keyboard problem.  Has anyone in this forum experienced this problem before, and if so, how can I fix it?  I really want to get this keyboard to work without much hassle...:pout:

(P.S.: I am away from my Model M Full-Size Keyboard at the moment, which is at my college residence.  Therefore, I cannot switch out the cable from my full-size keyboard to the space saving one and test it out even if I wanted to. :frown:)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 03:16:24 »
I was going to suggest that it was a problem with the adapter not liking the SSK, but if it's failing with a direct PS/2 connection, the controller may be dead.

Myself and Kishy had some suspicions some time that the SSK controllers and the fullsize Model M ones are interchangeable, or were at least interchangeable at some point in time. Could be worth swapping them when you get back to your fullsize.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 11:18:09 »
Sticky keys would be more likely than a blown controller. Maybe the board got something to drink at some point. Occasionally the cables develop problems, too. The only way to find out without either a spare board or cable is opening up the board (thin-walled 5.5 mm hex socket), checking for loose rivets and pulling the membrane connections at the controller PCB. There still won't be any easy way of generating input (though someone has mapped out the matrix IIRC, so one could use a piece of wire), but the computer that did the beeping should no longer protest. Then a cleaning and inspection of the membranes and traces and a nuts/bolts mod are in order.

If the problem persists, it could be either the cable or the controller board. Checking the cable for continuity and shorts would only involve a multimeter - nothing fancy needed at all, but one with explicit continuity test (and beep) is much preferred. You need +5V, Gnd, Clock and Data, both continuous and not shorted to anything else.

Oh, and look at the indicator LEDs when you plug the board with adapter in. Ms have a characteristic blinking pattern when powered up, which varies depending on controller. Usually when the controller hangs up early (as on M2s with dead caps), several LEDs remain lit.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline jpc

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 December 2010, 12:39:33 »
Quote from: ch_123;261203
Myself and Kishy had some suspicions some time that the SSK controllers and the fullsize Model M ones are interchangeable, or were at least interchangeable at some point in time. Could be worth swapping them when you get back to your fullsize.

They are interchangeable. The membrane pattern of the SSK is the same as the membrane pattern on a full size board.

One thing to watch out for though-- some full size controllers, specifically the larger footprint ones from older boards, have the connector for the grounding strap located at a location that doesn't quite fit in the available space of an SSK. One of my SSKs is using a controller out of a 1391401. I had to bend the grounding strap connector over to a 45 degree angle for the controller to fit without bumping into anything.

Hope this helps

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 December 2010, 04:31:08 »
Wait, dude. What?

I could take a controller from a full-size model M and stick it into a terminal model M mini (SSK) and it will work? Are the ribbon cables the same width? If so, that indicates an amazing efficiency on the part of IBM regarding engineering and manufacturing...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 December 2010, 00:21:40 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;261623
Wait, dude. What?

I could take a controller from a full-size model M and stick it into a terminal model M mini (SSK) and it will work? Are the ribbon cables the same width? If so, that indicates an amazing efficiency on the part of IBM regarding engineering and manufacturing...

remember that controller you sent me?

yes is sitting inside my terminal model m mini

EDIT
TO THE O.P:
while you are at remove the minis controller and reseat the ribbons again you never know
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 December 2010, 00:25:48 by KillerBee »
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985