Author Topic: Accident  (Read 4890 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Accident
« on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 07:48:21 »
Hey GeekHackers,

You may have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately. Last Sunday my sister was burned in a terrible cooking accident; her robe's sleeve caught fire while she was using the stove. I was the only other one home at the time and I heard her screaming. I ran down the stairs to find her standing with her robe completely on fire. I told her to get on the ground and took off my jacket and smothered her with it. There were still some flames so I grabbed my overcoat from the closet and smothered her with that as well. That did the trick. I could see her wrist was badly burned. I shut off the gas from the stove and water that she'd used to try to get it out, got her in my car and drove her directly to our local hospital as I knew some of the burns were quite bad. She was initially treated there, then transferred to a specialized burn center about 30 min away because of the extent of the burns. She has mostly deep 2nd and some 3rd degree burns covering most of her right arm, and part of her right hip and chest. Fortunately she is at one of the best burn centers in the country. Yesterday morning she had surgery to have skin grafted from the front of her thighs to the places burnt the most. Fortunately the surgery went very well and she is doing quite well now. We talked to her yesterday and it was the first time she was very talkative and in good spirits since it happened. Last night was pretty much the first time I've slept since it happened. Sunday I didn't cry at all, but since Monday I've been crying every day and night.

I usually don't talk about personal stuff much on here, and I hesitated posting this, but it would be nice to have some support from my favorite online community, as I do care a lot about GeekHack. You may have noticed that I have posted a little bit since Sunday...it's helped me a little to find some semblance of reality in what feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from. I have been posting from my cell phone when I get little breaks, as we will be with her at the hospital all day, every day until she comes home. Right now they are thinking Sunday or Monday for her to come home. We will likely spend Christmas in the hospital with her. At this point, I'm so happy that she's ok, I couldn't think of a better way to spend Christmas. I have to go now to get ready to go see her again. I appreciate any support y'all can give me and my family. Hope all of you are doing better than us.

\KL

Offline Co-Op

Accident
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 07:54:00 »
Very sorry to hear that. You definitely did the right thing and acted swiftly. Although I don't say much on the forums, I enjoy reading your posts/arguments with others here.

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
Accident
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 08:20:04 »
That takes a lot of guts to share.  My prayers go out to your family during this holiday season.
I <3 BS

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Accident
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 08:23:47 »
Tell your sister that the geekhack collective is thinking of her and that we hope she heals quickly.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Accident
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 08:29:27 »
Dammit, I had a nice post written up, and boom Connection ERROR...my browser decides to delete all that I had written. Oh well; to summarize.

GeekHack helped me a lot pull myself back together (primarily IRC actually), when I found myself in a very unfortunate accident while travelling Japan. I'd rather not go into the details, though some IRCers are probably aware of the details.

Anyways, I wish a much less stressful Christmas and New Year to you and your family.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Half-Saint

Accident
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 08:31:36 »
Good thing you were at home when it happend! I hope your sister heals quickly so she can be back home with you.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Accident
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 08:42:55 »
Dunno what to say, that sounds horrible. I hope your sister recovers well, of course, but also that you manage to put the nightmare of it somewhat behind you.

Offline AndrewZorn

Accident
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 09:12:43 »
It's a good thing you were home...

Offline Earth Worm Jim

Accident
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 10:53:32 »
All the best wishes for your sister and your family. Hope your sister is out of hospital soon!

Offline WhiteRice

Accident
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 11:21:46 »
How terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that. Best regards to you an your sister. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Offline panda-R

Accident
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 11:43:34 »
Wishing her a speedy recovery and the best for her and your family this christmas!

*hugz*

panda-R
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

woody

Accident
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 12:01:48 »
Quick recovery to your sister, KL. Hope you two will be together again in no time.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Accident
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 13:18:09 »
Really sorry to hear that.  Respect for doing the right things and not panicking.  

Sounds like she's in good hands.  Hope she recovers soon.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline RoboKrikit

Accident
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 13:34:40 »
Hope you and your family have a happy Christmas. And a speedy recovery to sis!
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Accident
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 13:49:18 »
It is a shame when events like this occur so close to the holidays... Best of luck to you, your sister, and the rest of your family, and have a Merry Christmas!
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline keyboardlover

Accident
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 13:53:17 »
Thanks everyone. This helps a lot. She's doing a bit better today. You guys rock.

Offline db_Iodine

Accident
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 13:59:53 »
I hope for a quick recovery for your sister.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline urlwolf

Accident
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 15:04:45 »
I'm sure your sister is very happy to have a brother like you.
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Accident
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 15:20:18 »
Sorry to hear about that KL, I hope all continues to go well with her recovery.
It's a good thing you were there!!! Phew!
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline kidchunks

Accident
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 15:55:31 »
I feel you KL, my ol girls right lower arm was burned in a cooking accident and it took me awhile to get over it. Especially since I wasn't there to take of her when it happened, a guilty feeling that took long to get over. Good thing you were there to assist. Best wishes to you, your sis and your fam!
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Accident
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 15:56:28 »
I wish your sister a good recovery.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline RickyJ

Accident
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 18:35:42 »
Great to hear that you were there to save the day!  You know full well how much worse it could have been!  I hope your sister has a speedy recovery, and for the rest of the season to be peaceful for your family.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline patrickgeekhack

Accident
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 19:01:01 »
Hard to find words. Despite differences between members, we don't wish bad things to each other, and we feel for each other on this forum when bad things happen. I am glad that you were home to save her, and was able to handle such a difficult situation very well.

I wish you sister a quick recovery.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Accident
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 20:00:04 »
It is hard to find the right words to say, hearing of a terrible event like this. I wish you and your sister all the best. I hope she recovers as quickly and as fully as possible. I extend my deepest sympathies to her and to you at this time.

Offline keyboardlover

Accident
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 20:25:51 »
Thank you everyone. I thought this would get easier, but for the time being it seems to be getting harder. My sister is doing better, but at this point the mental/emotional stuff seems to be the hardest for all of us. Thanks so much for all your kind words. I hope we can get through this.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Accident
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 22:33:28 »
Unconditional healing thoughts and prayers to you and she.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline keyboardlover

Accident
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 December 2010, 08:43:00 »
Thanks again to everyone. There are some amazing people in this community. However, the counselor I spoke to today recommended keeping this stuff private and not talking about it online. I'm going to close the thread and iMav, it would be great if you could delete it. Thanks again everyone.

\KL