Author Topic: Advice for buying a Model M on eBay  (Read 4356 times)

Offline jaynoon

Advice for buying a Model M on eBay
« on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:14:21 »
So I'm picking through the IBM Wiki trying to learn more about Model Ms, as I don't have any buckling spring boards, and would like to try one out.

But there are a lot of part#s & variations, and especially when compared to whatever's currently on eBay, it's difficult to determine if I'm going to regret just buying a random one.

Ideally I would buy a mini, but unless a reasonably priced one appears out of thin air, thats probably out of the picture. (Where ya at Unicomp?)

Are there any things I should be looking for? Certain color of label, certain year, or model #? I know collectors like getting the really old ones, but I don't necessarily care about the provenance of the board, just getting something I won't feel bad about using.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Home: Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Work: KBC Poker w/ Reds | Laptop: MacBook Air Keyboard

Offline msiegel

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:33:58 »
model Ms are much more similar than they are different; how about getting a random cheap one and see how it feels :)

if you generally like the cheap one, then there are a lot of more-expensive possibilities... as anyone around here will tell you ;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline jaynoon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:38:37 »
Yeah, I would definitely like to start with something on the cheaper end of the scale.. There appear to be some clear answers to the "what's the best/rarest/most expensive Model M" question, an arms race that I'm not ready to enter quite yet. :)
Home: Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Work: KBC Poker w/ Reds | Laptop: MacBook Air Keyboard

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:40:17 »
The 1391401s tend to be the most popular. Those are guaranteed IBM-made, gray IBM logo, detachable cable, no drainage channels, two-piece keycaps.

It's the Lexmark-era models that things start to get inconsistent. They all tend to have blue IBM logos in the upper-left and the drainage channels, but whether they have detachable or hard-wired cables, or single-piece or dual-piece keycaps is another question. (I have a 1370477 made in Jan. 12, 1996 that has a detachable cable, but single-piece keycaps.)

I'd mostly be concerned about whether or not they are in fully working order and have been cleaned (old keyboards do tend to get messy, after all). Other than the few details I highlighted on, there's not really that much of a difference amongst the pre-Unicomp Model Ms.

And if you don't want to deal with eBay at all...I don't really need two Model Ms, to be frank. (The other's a 1391401, made May 30, 1989.) Both are in fully working order and cleaned up. (I'll even do a second cleaning just before I pack and ship, because you can never be too sure.)

Offline Sam

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:52:29 »
In case you aren't aware, stay away from the 71G4644 as it's not a buckling spring but a rubber dome.  That's the most important thing.

The 1391401 seems to be the most common and had a long run for it's production.  Other models will be comparable, but if you just concentrate on that one you'll be fine and don't need to worry any about different model numbers.

The thing though is that the missing/broken rivet problem with Model Ms will be the biggest factor in variable typing experience between keyboards.  If at all possible I'd recommend getting an M which has been checked or refurbished in this respect.  A fellow Geekhacker (Daniel Beaver) was doing this at one time, and bolt modding his Ms and selling them here for a very reasonable price given the time and effort needed to do this.  Unfortunately he had to stop when he moved.  You may consider making a WTB post in the classifieds here for a good condition, perhaps bolt-modded M.

Or if you don't mind doing it yourself, if you end up with a board with a lot of missing rivets, there's an excellent thread in the Mods section telling you everything you need to know.

There's at least a couple of well-known sellers who supposedly check out and refurbish their keyboards as needed.  Rarekeyboardstore is one.  Ncbound10 also has lots of listings, but he doesn't say as much about how well he checks the keyboards he sells.  I'm not really familiar with either of these sellers other than what I read here, but in general they seem to be well respected.  You will though likely pay more for one of their keyboards than what you could get it for from other common sellers.  Off eBay, there's clickykeyboards.com which sells lots of IBM Model Ms, but is probably even higher priced.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 18:00:30 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;268444
The 1391401s tend to be the most popular. Those are guaranteed IBM-made,

Where is your God now?

It wasn't even a few latter ones, here's a Lexmark made one from the middle of the 1391401's production life -

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 December 2010, 18:04:12 by ch_123 »

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 18:04:40 »
Well, I stand corrected! I've never seen a Lexmark 1391401 'til now. (Mine's IBM, anyway.)

See, this is why I'm part of this forum. I can't claim to be the end-all be-all walking encyclopedia of keyboards, not by a long shot...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 18:12:01 »
The '1401 was produced for the full production life of the PS/2, which was made from 1987 to 1994. There were some later '1401s, some as late as 1996, presumably made as spares. In addition, there were variations of the '1401 such as the 1394540 which had a speaker, and the various Industrial keyboards, which were made as late as 1999 by IBM's Greenock plant.

Nonetheless, it wasn't as if they would have been made to a higher standard than the more standard models of the time. They just would have had the old fashioned trimmings such as the SDL cable. Two part keycaps were available on most standard keyboards for the production life of the Model M.

Sometime in 1991 is when Lexmark took over. The IBM-branded sticker doesn't mean much between 1991 and 1994. FWIW I don't believe any real changes happened until '93 though.

March '91 IIRC.

Lexmark and IBM operated under a deal like the one IBM had with Lenovo. For a few years, Lexmark got to use IBM branding, and IBM had an exclusive five year contract with them whereby they produced keyboards for IBM. Once it ran out in 1996, IBM went elsewhere for cheaper keyboards, and Lexmark sold their keyboard stuff to Unicomp.

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 20:40:28 »
I would also look for someone who cleans and refurbished the keyboards.  It is nice to receive a nice new looking board.
I <3 BS

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 21:05:39 »
Always use protection.

Offline isp

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 22:37:11 »
My advice would be to try something on the cheap end of the spectrum first.  You can get a really cleaned up model m from Brian/rarekeyboardstore if you're patient (think $40-50).  He's a reputable seller from my experience.  

That will get your foot in the door and you can get a feel for them.  Many people go hunting for a space-saver afterward...
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 December 2010, 22:40:02 by isp »
hhkb

Offline bladamson

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 23:27:32 »
Yea, don't spend much if you've not owned one before.  I think they're the bee's knees, but most of the people I have tried to turn on to them have hated them.

There's no accounting for taste I guess. :P

Offline jpc

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 23:36:35 »
There's a lot of variation among used Model Ms.
If you're lucky, you'll get a model described as used but looks and feels like new.
If you're unlucky, you'll get something with busted rivets, worn or missing or mismatched key caps, stubborn old springs that require too much effort, or even a rubber dome board.

You could buy a new, perfect condition Unicomp. That comes with a warranty, a USB option, and a choice of colors and case styles.

You could buy from a GHer who can tell you about the condition of the board in detail.

You could try craigslist, I have bought M's for $10 there. Good luck

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Pylon

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 08:41:46 »
You can also hunt around yard sales, thrift stores, etc. I've gotten Ms for $1 at yard sales before.

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 15:53:37 »
Ripster's advice is solid.
The rarekeyboardstore is a great source too.
But yeah, try and find something refurbished. Also find something with good pictures... It really sucks to get a disgusting, beaten-down old keyboard with 500k miles on it, when the description said "nice condition" and it was accompanied by a cellphone picture with bad lighting.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline wanabe

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 16:18:12 »
Quote from: PRISONER 24601;268796
Ripster's advice is solid.
The rarekeyboardstore is a great source too.
But yeah, try and find something refurbished. Also find something with good pictures... It really sucks to get a disgusting, beaten-down old keyboard with 500k miles on it, when the description said "nice condition" and it was accompanied by a cellphone picture with bad lighting.

+1 on that..

i took a shot on a cheap ebay BIN for a model M and it was received pretty filthy.  Luckily, it was in decent shape minus all the crud that i had to clean off of it.  it was still worth it for me, i find it somewhat meditative refurbishing my old keyboards

Offline bladamson

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 18:37:45 »
It's not dirt!  It's "character"! :P

Offline msiegel

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 19:17:10 »
Quote from: wanabe;268808
meditative refurbishing

+1 :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline jaynoon

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 00:01:29 »
Ended up dropping by a local pc recycling center today and bought a Model M for $3.

It's fairly dirty, but that gives me an excuse to take it apart. Anybody have a recommendation for simplegreen:water ratio?

I got lucky with another board or two I found there. I'll post some pics of it all later.

Offline ynih

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 01:57:59 »
I posted a reply in your other thread, but hint: use Denture cleansing tablets!
Keyboards: (2) FKBN87MC/EB | (2) FKBN87M/EB | (1) FKBN87ML/EB | (1) FKBN87Z/EB | (1) FKBN104M/AI | (1) FKBN104MC/AI | (1) FKB104M/EB | (1) RK-9000 | (1) RF 86U SE05C0 all 45g modded | (1) HHKB 2 Pro PD-KB400W

Offline jaynoon

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 December 2010, 03:26:59 »
Aforementioned pics are now posted here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=13765

This refurbishing better be seriously meditative because it's grimy as hell. :)