Author Topic: Voice recognition  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Voice recognition
« on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 13:38:01 »
With the release of DragonDictate for Macintosh I finally took the plunge and purchased it and a few good microphones, voice-recognition technology has finally come into its own. Now whenever I have large blocks of text to get into the computer invariably I use the voice recognition software. In fact, I'm using it right now.

It works quite well with cheap microphones and sloppy dictation, it works extremely well with good microphones and clear dictation. It also has the advantage of involving a different type of thinking. When dictating, I sit back stare off in the distance and think about what I'm going to say, instead of having my eyes glued to the screen and hammering away at the keyboard. I probably use dictation about half of my work now, and I'm a software engineer.

For microphones look at what http://www.emicrophones.com has. I recommend the Sennheiser 431 II, the Samson wireless headset or the Samson wireless handheld microphone.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline itlnstln

Voice recognition
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 13:52:18 »
We used to have something like that in our studio at the radio station.  But that was a studio in a radio station.  I would go with Ripster's solution.  It couldn't be all that bad, and it would save desk space, too.

Offline itlnstln

Voice recognition
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 13:56:12 »
Well, we are on Geekhack.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Voice recognition
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 19:10:29 »
Yes I've chatted with Marty, he's a good guy. That mic boom is incredible by the way, I love it. I wouldn't wear a headset like that, hurts the ears after a while and isn't easy with glasses.

And as noted, as guys who actively post on a forum about DIY'ing computer keyboards, being concerned about looking like a dork is like the Pope worrying he's a catholic.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline bladamson

Voice recognition
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 05:12:54 »
It took me sooooo long to train dragon dictate back in the day lol.

Ah reckon eet cain't hardleh cope weeth ain app'lacheen drawl outer th' bawks. :3