Author Topic: Tools! (for modding)  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Minskleip

Tools! (for modding)
« on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:14:38 »
What tools do you use?

I have this cheap ampermetre; is it sensitive enough for working with keyboards?
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline Findecanor

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 17:16:09 »
The tools that I use when working with plastic. I got most of them from plastic model shops.

A set of files of various grades, The ones that are the most critical are the finest ones. "needle files".
A razor saw. It really is a serrated razor-blade on a handle. There is also a much larger saw available that is also called "razor saw" that might be more suitable for cases. There are also smaller serrated hobby knives available, but I find them to be more rare.
A scoring knife and a metal ruler. The "score and snap" method is the best for cutting sheet plastic. Pull the knife against the metal ruler backwards over the workpiece to make a perfectly straight score. Then snap the pieces apart.

If I want a smooth finish, I always do the really fine work with sandpaper.
🍉

Offline Daniel Beaver

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 18:37:47 »
I am a fan of the dremel. It is a compromise tool, but makes up for it in flexibility.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Voixdelion

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 19:33:34 »
And where the dremel falls short, the jewelers saw picks up.  I got one of the c-clamp flying-V bench extensions too, though I wish I'd gotten the adjustable saw instead of the fixed one to make use of some of the broken blades.  But IMO definitely a modder's "must have" tool for making fine cuts in metal, plexi or plastic.  I may be using mine to make a fan grille that I can't find for sale anywhere.  

I never thought that an art class I took in high school would prove so useful in the real world.  Kinda neat that they let us play with torches and heavy equipment in high school - my friend can actually enamel metals and do stone setting, but I only took the intro course cause I wanted to try ceramics and drawing as well.  Still, metals I was enough to give me the skills to do the body work on my own car...
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 19:59:48 »
Various grades of wet/dry sandpaper are good to have. I try to get by with a multitool or whatever else is at the desk, before making a trip to the toolbox.

I feel this thread isn't focused enough. We could list everything in a toolbox, then go on to listing power tools (other than a Dremel I only have a keyed-chuck drill).

I like 28 AWG wire, although I feel it's a bit thin. I think 26 would be sweeter for keyboard circuitry.

Offline Minskleip

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 02:59:12 »
Awesome! I used my fathers dremel and tools when I did case modding, but now I moved so far away. I need a second birthday, or maybe I can become a father myself and get fathers' day presents. Smart..

Offline Findecanor

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 03:02:21 »
Quote from: ripster;272615
Scoring works great for the more brittle plastics like PBT.  ABS is pretty tough stuff though.

No, scoring works very well with ABS. If the plastic is thick, you might have to score twice, though. The second time, you just deepen the score that you have already made, without any ruler.

It gets tricky when there are curves, or an inconvex shape such as when you are scoring on the inside of a case.
🍉

Offline Half-Saint

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 03:42:49 »
I use a PROXXON IB/E rotary tool.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bladamson

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 04:46:26 »
I'm not sure where the lines between modding, hacking, and working are, for the purposes of tool-kit descriptions, so...

Portable kit:
 - 144-piece computer toolkit w/case from newegg.  The tools aren't the greatest, but at least it's well-organized and portable.
 - Pre-Lenovo IBM T61 running Linux (with Win7 and MacOS in VMs).
 - Various boot and utility CDs.
 - USB to SATA / 3.5" PATA / 2.5" PATA dongle.
 - Hunting knife.  I find these more versatile than those utility knives with retractable blades.
 - Greenlee tool pouch containing
 --- Linesman's pliers.
 --- RJ-11/45 crimper, a nice ratcheting one with cut & strip spots. Trying to cut & strip cat-5 any other way is more trouble than it's worth. :3
 --- Punchdown tool.
 --- Large leatherman tool.
 --- Cheap utility knife for cutting on stuff that will ruin the edge on the Buck.

Other stuff that I generally only use at home/office:
 - Somewhat decent soldering station.  If you've not experienced this one, you'll be amazed at the difference between a decent soldering iron and a crappy one.  This tool is worth spending a little money on, imo.
 - Good & sturdy high speed AC dremel tool (single speed) for cutting and shaping metal.
 - Less good rechargable variable-speed dremel for cutting and shaping plastic (you need to use a fairly slow speed for plastic to avoid melting it).
 - A good assortment of dremel and drill bits.
 - Regular hacksaw.
 - Scroll saw.
 - Decent digital multimeter.  Not a Fluke, but better than the $10 analog crap that you find at Walton's Emporium of Sweat-Shop Goods.
 - Crappy old worn out dual-channel 40MHz o-scope from the 60s.  I don't use this often enough to justify buying a better one.

Offline itlnstln

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 07:09:03 »
My favorite tools?  You guys.

Hugs and kisses.

Offline instantkamera

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 09:39:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;272875

Hugs and kisses.

funny, as much as you talk about your tool, I'd have thought you would relish any chance to show it off. Maybe rip could come over to take it's picture. (Rip, I hope you own a good macro lens).
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline itlnstln

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 10:55:18 »
He doesn't need to come over.  He'll be able to see it where he's at.

Offline instantkamera

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 10:59:54 »
well played, sirs.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline instantkamera

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 11:28:01 »
peeping rip.

Offline Minskleip

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 17:24:37 »
Guess I need a soldering station 'soon'. Any recommendations? The last time a used one I burned my fingers and destroyed my graphics card. One with laser pointer for accuracy would be nice.

Offline ironman31

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 22:08:45 »
Quote from: Minskleip;274192
Guess I need a soldering station 'soon'. Any recommendations? The last time a used one I burned my fingers and destroyed my graphics card. One with laser pointer for accuracy would be nice.

Hakko 936. Some call it pricey, but you can get one for under a hundred dollars, which doesn't seem bad for such a high quality product.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Minskleip

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 23:16:00 »
Oh that's no good at all, I want to move! But thank you, I'll think about this with careful consideration; don't want to lose my keyboards.

Offline Lanx

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 23:20:37 »
+1
my hakko 936 going pretty strong 80bucks on amazon.

Offline ironman31

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 08:22:56 »
Quote from: ripster;274352
Weller.  AutoTurnoff so your house doesn't burn down ...

usually the blinking light tells me it's still on

also: These are great. I got them for Christmas and they're perfect for replacing your old workstation scissors.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 January 2011, 08:32:07 by ironman31 »
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Lanx

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 13:02:23 »
Quote from: ironman31;274521
usually the blinking light tells me it's still on

also: These are great. I got them for Christmas and they're perfect for replacing your old workstation scissors.

holy crap, 30bucks for scissors, reasons please. (i have no idea why)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 13:04:46 »
Quote from: itlnstln;272875

Hugs and kisses.

I had a different "tool" in mind...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 13:08:06 »
A pair of pliers?

Offline itlnstln

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 13:37:54 »
A rock.  When you live in the stone age, you have to use what you have available.

Offline ironman31

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 18:01:51 »
Quote from: ripster;274703
Is it the 5:00 giveaway?

Anyway, I already posted my #1 favorite tool....
Show Image

I've got one that I've been using for work for the past 2 years. Absolutely love it
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline ironman31

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 18:02:36 »
Quote from: Lanx;274668
holy crap, 30bucks for scissors, reasons please. (i have no idea why)

lol, I don't know, cause they're good scissors? I didn't pay for them.
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline PikachuDX

Tools! (for modding)
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 20:45:11 »
GRC3J[Ad[a^Eqx)C58^pR~$@[N$]N_X70q-4Y}FEuMl5Yp&nJi
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2023, 05:35:11 by PikachuDX »