Author Topic: What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Kolt

What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?
« on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:21:50 »
I'm currently using a Razer Tarantula and would like to purchase a new keyboard.

After doing some online research I stumbled upon this website and was intrigued at the breadth and level of knowledge of this forum. (I never knew that such a keyboard-related niche existed). With that said I've come to the conclusion that this forum is the perfect median in which to ask questions and net well-constructed and well-rounded thoughts.

My question regards the best gaming keyboard currently available (with price being a non-factor).

I would greatly appreciate it if you all would be so kind as to help lead me in the right direction.

Many thanks,
Kolt

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'd prefer a keyboard without backlighting, one that features a normal layout, and of course, one that is built solidly.

EDIT2: For greater convenience I have added the games that I play.

Starcraft 2 (I spend most of my gaming time playing this)
CS:S
COD4
MW2
Black Ops
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:39:52 by Kolt »

Offline bugfix

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:24:04 »
I would say that depends on what features you expect.
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline Kolt

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:29:39 »
Quote from: bugfix;272468
I would say that depends on what features you expect.

I just realized that I didn't really mention any specific features I wanted and have amended my original post. Thanks!

Offline eXellenty

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:31:26 »
do you play more rts or fps?

Offline Kolt

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:35:30 »
Quote from: eXellenty;272475
do you play more rts or fps?

I used to play MMORPG's religiously (WoW) but have since moved on to RTS games, Starcraft 2 specifically. As far as FPS games go I play CS:S, COD4, and MW2, with Black Ops sprinkled in every now and then. Currently I see Starcraft 2 and CS:S taking up most of my time while gaming but I'm leaning more towards Starcraft 2.

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:35:43 »
You might also want to say what kind of games you play.
It seems like most RTS players prefer Blue or Brown switches due to their little tactile bump,
Black switches are said to be the "best for gaming" but most people don't end up liking them due to the amount of force to press down on them.
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline eXellenty

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:45:06 »
for sc2 i like keyboards with brown switches because the keys are really easy to press.
you need to try it by yourself which switches you like.
if you want to get a filco with brown switches and live in europe then you should buy mine xD

http://cgi.ebay.de/Filco-Majestouch-NKRO-Braune-Switches-/110630317555?pt=M%C3%A4use_Tastaturen&hash=item19c214adf3

edit: I bought it on the 9. december and donīt use it anymore because i need a tenkeyless keyboard

Offline Kolt

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 14:54:45 »
Quote from: eXellenty;272490
for sc2 i like keyboards with brown switches because the keys are really easy to press.
you need to try it by yourself which switches you like.
if you want to get a filco with brown switches and live in europe then you should buy mine xD

http://cgi.ebay.de/Filco-Majestouch-NKRO-Braune-Switches-/110630317555?pt=M%C3%A4use_Tastaturen&hash=item19c214adf3

edit: I bought it on the 9. december and donīt use it anymore because i need a tenkeyless keyboard

Unfortunately I don't live in Europe and seem to be out of options in North America. (The only retailer I've heard of which sells Filco to NA seems to be EliteKeyboards.com which currently does not sell Filco anymore).

As for brown switches, is there any loud audible noise associated with pressing the keys? And what benefits does a "tenkeyless" design offer other than having the number pad removed? (I do find myself NEVER using the number pad, and wouldn't see why I would buy a keyboard with one, but I'm just curious as to see your rationale.)

Offline fssbzz

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 15:11:12 »
here hows the sound compare

Offline Kolt

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 15:24:40 »
Quote from: fssbzz;272512
here hows the sound compare

They all sound appealing to me so I can't quite discern which keyboard I'd prefer based purely from sound. One question about the video though: what is the difference, if any, between Cherry MX switches and ALPS switches.

Offline dewaere

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 16:18:42 »
You can't be disappointed with a brown switches keyboard, knowing that you come from a Tarantula :)
I have that ****ty Razer keyboard, it's currently rotting in my basement since I have the Filco.
I love the browns for gaming AND typing (I mostly play fps).
btw, I have no experience with the blues (not yet!) and black switches are too much stiff for my personnal likes.

You might keep an eye on the new zowie celeritas imo.
KBC Poker Red / IBM Model M 1987 / Das Keyboard 1 / Filco Majestouch 2 Tenleyless Brown / Nopoo minichoc Red / Cherry G80-1861 HBF Black / Qpad MK-80 Red / Zowie EC2 / Zowie Mico / Steelseries XAI / Steelseries KANA /  Microsoft IE 3.0 / Microsoft imo 1.1 / Microsoft wmo 1.1 / Logitech MX 518 / Logitech MX 300 / Logitech MX 310 / Razer DeathAdder 1800 / Razer  Diamondback 1600 / Logitech  G9X

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 16:28:22 »
Quote from: Kolt;272524
They all sound appealing to me so I can't quite discern which keyboard I'd prefer based purely from sound. One question about the video though: what is the difference, if any, between Cherry MX switches and ALPS switches.

Big, as far as feel is concerned. There should be some force-displacement curves somewhere in the wiki. Not a big fan of the usual ALPS varieties myself, not very smooth, too easily bottomed out and not holding up well with time.
And what benefits does a "tenkeyless" design offer other than having the number pad removed?

None, but that's enough. Most people have the mouse right there, so a tenkeyless board makes for a better arm position and reduced hand travel on keyboard-mouse changes.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Nadger

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 17:13:33 »
If you can wait 15 days to a month or so, you will have a lot more options.  Leopold will be available on elitekeyboards, and duckys will be more readily available in the US as well.

The rosewill mechanical keyboard available on newegg is relatively inexpensive and fits the bill, its downside is that its got a giant ugly logo on it.

Razer black windows are not too bad for the money.  They dont have full nkey but the wsad cluster optimizations make up for it somewhat for gaming.  Major downside for me is the ugly font they use on their keycaps & shiny dust/scratch/fingerprint magnet finish.

Duckys have some extra features that gamers typically like windows lock and caps/ctrl swap, media keys, windows/alt swap, detachable usb cord etc.  But there have been some questionable reports of build quality on them.

Ducky's tenkeyless kinda sucks, if you are going to go for tenkeyless i might suggest the Leopold FC200R, or even the Noppoo Choc Mini Though that might break away from your standard layout requirement too much.

If you are going full board i would suggest a ducky 9008

Das Keyboard is another good option for a full sized board, especially if you can use their student discount.  But these too need maintenance due to the shiny finish.

As to which switch, id say brown or blue.  Or if you're made of money an all 55g realforce board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2011, 17:15:36 by Nadger »
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline isp

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 18:43:45 »
If you're patient and money isn't a factor then you could import some cherry reds, but browns are probably very similar for half the cost...

So tempting to try the current keyboard du jour (noppoo choc mini)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2011, 18:46:16 by isp »
hhkb

Offline Kolt

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 20:00:16 »
Are the Topre keyboards any good for gaming? What justifies the absurd (in my opinion) price?

Offline msiegel

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 20:17:17 »
Quote from: Kolt;272660
Are the Topre keyboards any good for gaming? What justifies the absurd (in my opinion) price?

topres have outstanding build quality, high reliability, and pleasant aural/tactile feedback.

but they're sold as office equipment, for typing.

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline stuiees

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 20:44:32 »
i love my topre for gaming, actually preferred them over my filco with browns.  i bottom out while typing and gaming, the topre has a least harsh feeling when i bottom out leaving my fingers more eager and less fatigued during long sessions imo.  also the key chatter on my topre have a deeper sound to them which i find more pleasant while fast fingers are going 100mph.  imo you cant ask someone else what would be the best board for you, because not everyone has the same preferences. i think it would be better to let us know what features and expectations you have for keyboard so that we can give you more feedback based on what you want rather than us telling you what we prefer.
I like Topre!

Offline msiegel

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 22:37:01 »
maybe if topres were sold for gaming, they'd sell a lot more and the price would fall :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Crazy9000

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 23:51:42 »
I think my Topre 55g is much better then any cherry switch for gaming. I certainly wouldn't go back to them. I would buy it again if my house got robbed and I got stabbed trying to protect my prized keyboard, bleeding all over and ruining it.
[sigpic]http://geekhack.org/signaturepics/sigpic5090_2.gif[/sigpic]

Offline bugfix

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 02:40:13 »
I'm also interested in getting a Topre and luckily keyboardco has a Realforce 105 with German layout available, but it is the one with variable switch weights.

As I don't touchtype and game a lot, can this still be the right board for me?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but since it's semi related and the Topre experts are already here...
I have:
Realforce 105GR
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:

Offline bugfix

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 03:30:49 »
@stevebucknor1 You mean the Realforce 105?
I have:
Realforce 105GR
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:

Offline godly_music

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 08:23:56 »
I feel like I'm in one of those diagrams where the marketing department put 95% at the low end and 100% at the high end, just so they can show off a more impressive graph. That's what kind of a difference a cheap rubber dome in comparison to the most expensive mechanical keyboard will make. It's just how the bloody keys feel. As long as it's not extra flat keys like scissor switches, those I can't stand for gaming. Hell, people here like to tell you how terribad MX Blacks are for typing and how stiff they are, and I've been typing and gaming on them for weeks and they're just fine and barely any stiffer than a rubber dome.

Offline Z Overlord

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 04:03:32 »
I own an Armor U9BL and I love it :happy:

It can be both USB  and PS/2. It also is sexy looking :love:

I previously owned a Logitech G19. Yuck

Offline Shazb0t

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 07:23:40 »
I'm using a Filco Tenkeyless with black switches and it is great for fps gaming.
Filco Tenkeyless Linear-R | SS 6Gv2 | Compaq mx11800

Offline StiMPy

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 08:45:45 »
Quote from: msiegel;272732
maybe if topres were sold for gaming, they'd sell a lot more and the price would fall :)

I don't think they will. Most gamers probably couldn't tell the difference, which for justifying an expensive keyboard would be a bad thing.

I think it's best to concentrate on Cherry MX switch keyboards as the difference is like night and day and a lot easier to market and sell.

Offline dec.net

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 13:47:37 »
Yeah, and with some second-guessing his comment actually makes a bit of sense, too... As opposed to the utterly nonsensical crap that is on the Noppoo packaging.

Can't we keep him? He's sorta cute, don't you think?
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 January 2011, 13:49:50 by dec.net »
Daily drivers at home: \'93 IBM Model M; Currently: Model F XT (hebrew layout), adapted via Teensy.
Daily driver at University: Marquardt HEROS miliary board.
Take-with-me-board: G80-1800 (blue/black).
Boards I don\'t use: DS 102W (cherry 1800 lookalike, waterproof industrial case with ultra-mushy membrane switches). Dell AT102W (don\'t like it too much, very uneven feeling - last chance is to teflon-coat the sliders)

Offline Nadger

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 14:13:43 »
Quote from: dec.net;273567
Yeah, and with some second-guessing his comment actually makes a bit of sense, too... As opposed to the utterly nonsensical crap that is on the Noppoo packaging.

Yeah, but who care?

Quote from: dec.net;273567

Can't we keep him? He's sorta cute, don't you think?

No, he is a little boy, lovely?

kaka, ^.^ plz play me off FuuuuYeeeeeee avatar~
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller