Author Topic: Razer Switchblade  (Read 3871 times)

Offline CodeChef

Razer Switchblade
« on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 18:27:22 »
http://www.facebook.com/notes/razer/razer-switchbladetm-a-revolution-in-pc-gaming/10150112186465943

Reactions? If this comes out for under 400 dollars I will seriously consider going out and trying it in person, and if that's positive then I'll seriously consider buying one. I think it's a good idea that can be executed REALLY REALLY badly...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline aynjell

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:02:34 »
Based on the video promo, we can see that there will be an exceptional amount of vendor support required from razer. For them to support all games effectively would be a tall order...

Quakelive, quake 3, league of legends, and wow would be amazing on this mini computer... especially if it had the balls to run them smoothly and give us a good way to play games. Being able to run emulators on it as well with the keyboard acting as the gamepad would also be nice, especially if they had an option for shoulder buttons as well. If it doesn't, they're missing they're calling big time.

if razer doesn't use this as an infrastructure for future products they're going to just end up breaking it and EOLing it. Basically, for this to work as advertised and provide the experience we see in the slides, it'd have to have a longevity of something like SLI for it to work well.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Razer Switchblade
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:25:13 »
Additional coverage at ubergizmo. linky.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:34:53 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Parak

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:55:19 »
No analog sticks or D-pads? Instant fail :|

Offline aynjell

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 19:56:38 »
Quote from: Parak;274281
No analog sticks or D-pads? Instant fail :|

Yeah, for such a small device they could have nailed the homebrew and console emulator market along with this device's intended market.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Parak

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 20:04:07 »
I still have a pandora on preorder. :rofl:

I calculate that I'll get it after Duke Nukem Forever comes out. Or not.

Offline Minskleip

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 22:36:03 »
Quote from: Parak;274287
I still have a pandora on preorder. :rofl:

I calculate that I'll get it after Duke Nukem Forever comes out. Or not.

Lol me too! I'm contemplating cancelling it and using the money on keyboards or a soldering station instead...
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline Nadger

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 01:38:28 »
Chicken and Egg scenario, requires developer support, and no ones gonna buy it without their favorite games being supported, and developers dont want to waste time on it if gamers dont have it.

As to cost, i would imagine pretty high...Each of those keys is a little lcd screen, probably using oled tech so thats going to get expensive.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline fssbzz

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 02:32:06 »
i will buy if it is under $1000

Offline itlnstln

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 06:35:37 »
I might even get back into gaming if that comes out.  That's a pretty cool idea.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Razer Switchblade
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 07:13:42 »
Says it uses mechanical switches... Look like they would be ML from the low profile.

Offline ironman31

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 08:19:39 »
Can a mouse hook up to it?
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline CodeChef

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 10:31:25 »
Yes, probably, as they show it being used with a Bluetooth mouse and there is at least USB port on it...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline pfink

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 11:29:35 »
Quote from: Nadger;274389
Chicken and Egg scenario, requires developer support, and no ones gonna buy it without their favorite games being supported, and developers dont want to waste time on it if gamers dont have it.

Developer support should be a non-issue. Apparently this thing runs Windows 7 so any games that run under Windows and can run under its hardware specs should be good to go.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/razer-switchblade-preview-3g-intel-oak-trail-almost-definitel/

Offline CodeChef

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 17:22:58 »
This is an extremely informative article by Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/razer-switchblade-preview-3g-intel-oak-trail-almost-definitel/

EDIT: Wow, I am BLIND! Sorry pfink!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Nadger

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 January 2011, 02:34:28 »
Quote from: pfink;274609
Developer support should be a non-issue. Apparently this thing runs Windows 7 so any games that run under Windows and can run under its hardware specs should be good to go.

Thats not the issue, the issue is the keyboard.  It needs input from the game to set the keys up.  Like how on wow it shows your hotbar icons on the keys.  And i assume it may need some UI support as well.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline NimbleRabit

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 January 2011, 12:04:21 »
It really all depends on the price whether this thing truly takes off, at least in my opinion, and it looks pretty damn expensive.  I wish they had an estimate, becaause I want to get one.  Badly.

Offline CodeChef

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 17:10:55 »
Honestly, I couldn't see this being successful for any more than $400 bucks. Knowing Razer it's going to retail at $1000. I can't remember if I said that already...

edit: Well then, consider this post an expansion on my OP statement.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline killy

Razer Switchblade
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 11:14:32 »
Two things I find strange about that concept:

- Keyboard is aligned straight instead of staggered; I wonder how people will adapt to that.

- With those tech specs, the only gaming they will be doing is 200 ms latency, low quality streaming from OnLive (uuuugh).