Author Topic: Noppoo mac driver?  (Read 4142 times)

Offline theferenc

Noppoo mac driver?
« on: Wed, 12 January 2011, 16:53:30 »
Is anyone interested in helping the community to have working noppoos on os x?

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue, and assuming it works in FreeBSD, it might be possible to just port that driver relatively simply.

If anyone is interested in this, is a systems coder, and has a noppoo, it shouldn't take much to get started.

If anyone with a mac and a noppoo is willing to part with their keyboard for a couple of weeks, one of us with the skills (but not the keyboard) might be able to make it work.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline chimborazo

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 January 2011, 00:55:13 »
Quote from: theferenc;277559
I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue, and assuming it works in FreeBSD, it might be possible to just port that driver relatively simply.

If anyone is interested in this, is a systems coder, and has a noppoo, it shouldn't take much to get started.

that'd be great. if i hadn't shell out some dough recently i'd be willing to have someone check it out

according to polo

Quote from: polpo;272545

First test, the Mac... Uh oh. This keyboard DOES NOT WORK IN MAC OS X! Lots of weird ghosting, keys that don't register, keys that trigger other keys when pressed. The keyboard is completely unusable in Mac OS X. I hope those of you who have ordered this from Taobao and use Macs can find someone to sell your keyboard to (given the current interest here, that shouldn't be a problem). When I get back home tonight I'll make a video documenting the weird behavior.

Now, for better news: the keyboard works just fine in Linux, including NKRO and multimedia keys, save for one thing: the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock indicator LEDs don't work (despite Caps Lock and Scroll Lock state working). I don't care much about the LEDs so I'm fine with that.

at least it works in linux

i don't want to hijack this thread but could someone fix the entry for the nopoo mini at mechanical board guide

the other entries from the wiki seem fine

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 January 2011, 13:49:04 »
The source for Apple's own HID driver is available. Patching it and replacing the driver may be the easiest option, and may even let us submit the code back to Apple.

This might be a good excuse for me to get into proper OS X coding and a fun challenge. On the other hand, I have very little free time at home, where my Macs are.

As for reusing FreeBSD's driver, I doubt that's possible. NeXTSTEP/OS X and FreeBSD have been developed apart from each other for more than 20 years.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 January 2011, 13:53:11 by polpo »
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline theferenc

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 January 2011, 14:36:39 »
Quote from: polpo;278046
As for reusing FreeBSD's driver, I doubt that's possible. NeXTSTEP/OS X and FreeBSD have been developed apart from each other for more than 20 years.

Not entirely true, as a matter of fact, but it's neither here nor there to this discussion. I've had luck doing this exact thing with a wireless driver, so I know it's feasible, to an extent.

Your suggestion of modifying apple's own HID driver is a good one, though, and would potentially help people far beyond geekhack.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline ricki

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 January 2011, 12:52:51 »
You'd be like the great hero to do that polpo!!

Offline jonmarimba

Solved: Noppoo Choc Mini OS X
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 August 2011, 13:10:10 »
Just solved this on OS X today. Go buy a blue cube PS/2 to USB converters from clickyKeyboards and then use one of those cheap direct connection USB to PS/2 adaptors. You'll convert (not kidding) usb -> PS2, then the blue cube will TRANSLATE the resulting PS2 to USB the way Mac OS X likes it to be. I'm typing this with a noppoo choc mini on OS X Lion.   Looks like this http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20300&d=1310271261  Apologies for cross posts.  I'm trying to get this information in as many places as seems appropriate.

Offline LOUDTYPINGLOL

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 20:28:55 »
So, this hack works for everyone? Do the function keys work this way too?
I'm safe to buy this keyboard for mac, then? Their website is not much help, so I can't figure out if a new version will come out soon. Does anyone know?
If not, are people still working on drivers? I would be willing to help out.

Offline N8N

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 October 2011, 21:54:53 »
I thought the Choc Pro could use a passive PS/2 plug.  Haven't tried it, because I sadly don't have a PC with a PS/2 port that works.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline YarNhoj

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 November 2011, 21:35:34 »
I have been trying for weeks to get this board to work with Solaris 10 and have been unsuccessful.  Almost none of the keys register and even the ones that do are often not correct.  Has anyone else been giving the idea of writing drivers for this keyboard any thought?
Filco Ninja | Choc Mini

Offline enigmatik

This
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 09:20:53 »
jonmarimba:

So that is all i would need? Does it work well? NKRO work?

fossala

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 09:59:06 »
It is simple if you ask me. Don't buy 'boards that don't conform to standards. Vote with you pocket.

Offline sam113101

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 10:24:55 »
Is it possible to use multiple keyboards in Mac OS X*? Like plugging two usb keyboards and typing something with both keyboards.
Because I think it's what the noppoo does, it emulates three (I think) keyboards.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline kps

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 11:17:59 »
Quote from: sam113101;456733
Is it possible to use multiple keyboards in Mac OS X*? Like plugging two usb keyboards and typing something with both keyboards.
Yes. However, unlike Windows, OS X keeps separate state for each keyboard. In particular, a modifier pressed on one keyboard does not affect keys typed on another.

Offline CeeSA

Noppoo mac driver?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 November 2011, 17:15:43 »
a guy here used successfully 2 adapters USB to PS/2 and PS/2 to USB to make a choc mini work under MAC OS.
Just want to make shure you know this.