Author Topic: HHKB Pro II or other small form KB  (Read 2316 times)

Offline rawr

• Trade Count: (0)
HHKB Pro II or other small form KB
« on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 17:11:04 »
I'm looking to buy a used HHKB Pro 2.

Might also be interested in other small form keyboards(noppoo choc mini, ibm space saver, filco tenkeyless, RealForce 86/87, etc)

Located in the US(midwest).

Offline jwpeddle

• http://typh.com
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 13:23:32 »

Offline rawr

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 January 2011, 21:27:39 »
bump, still looking.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 16:18:48 »
If you're looking for a small keyboard you should check out the cherry g84-4100. its pretty much the smallest mechanical keyboard and its pretty nice. i have one and i use it for gaming
oh and its only $60

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keyboards/Industrial/4100/index.htm
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 January 2011, 16:21:17 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline rawr

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 January 2011, 18:20:46 »
Quote from: Lethal Squirrel;286548
If you're looking for a small keyboard you should check out the cherry g84-4100. its pretty much the smallest mechanical keyboard and its pretty nice. i have one and i use it for gaming
oh and its only $60

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keyboards/Industrial/4100/index.htm

This seems very intriguing.  Since you have one I did want to ask if these full size keycaps, and what kind of switches they feature.

Thanks!

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 09:05:13 »
they are thinner than normal keys but the surface area and spacing are the same. some of the keys like alt and tab are a little smaller

Offline theferenc

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 09:34:51 »
For the record, those are ML switches, which are quite different from the MX switches that most here talk about. The key caps are compatible, though.

And just to mention this, the HHKB is a non-ANSI layout, in case you haven't looked closely at one. Personally, I prefer it, but a lot of people have issues with some of the key placement choices.

You aren't really going to have much luck finding even a used one for under $200. That said, there are a couple available here in the Classified section. The one linked above, and elservo was selling his before Christmas. Not sure if it's still available or not, though.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline rawr

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 January 2011, 14:30:45 »
Never tried the ML switches or heard much about them, but the thinner keycaps does make it sound less appealing.  Really like the full 4mm travel size(as opposed to the 0.5mm Macbook pro chicklet scissor switch keys I plan on replacing by using this purchase).

Also, I'm completely fine with the non-ANSI layout of the HHKB, actually seems like a very nice layout in my opinion.  And yea I realize it will probably be a pretty expensive purchase even used :( (pretty sure I bid, and lost, on elservo's hhkb on ebay)