Author Topic: Anyone using cherry clears?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Adhesive_X

Anyone using cherry clears?
« on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 21:47:26 »
Anyone using cherry clears? If so do you get the fatigue that people complain about with the MX Blacks?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 08:36:52 »
You only get the fatigue with mx blacks if you are pressing them really hard all the way down, but because of the stiffer springs it is easy to touch type on them.
Not to mention you get a lot of control over the activation point, while gaming.
I personally think all the whining about the fatigue, is because people here get used to browns, and blues.
I think mx black is a safe and relatively cheap bet for a first mechanical gaming keyboard.
I got my steelseries around 70 bucks in europe and I like it so far.
The stem in cherry clears tend to wear down, so they will feel different over time, and the spring in them is even stiffer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 January 2011, 08:39:04 by RiGS »
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 08:52:48 »
I have a Cherry G80-3000 with clears at work. Being used to the blues, it was tiring at first. You get used to it fairly quick I'd say and if u bottom out less, it's also less of an issue.

On the flipside, I now feel my blues at home are almost too light to press ;)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 09:53:43 »
I feel the same. Right now I use a keyboard with Clears at home, and a board with Browns at work. I find that I bottom out more on the Browns now ...
You would get fatigue with the Clears if you bottom out, but you won't do that very often because the resistance increases so sharply after the actuation point.
🍉

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 January 2011, 17:03:46 »
I look at the after-actuation spring resistance as a sort of cushion against bottoming out.

Unfortunately, I don't have a full Cherry MX Clear board (yet), because Deck boards cost way too much for my budget. I could buy them in bulk, but that'll cost more than the DSI Modular Mac itself did, and I'd have a bunch of Cherry MX Blue switches to sell off afterward.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 02:40:46 »
Scissored from my post here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=255453#post255453

Quote from: zmurf
I experience the clears as much heavier then blacks to write on if I concentrate to stop pushing the blacks when they have been activated... but I find the blacks quite useless to write on since if I stop concentrating I go WAY past the activation point when there isn't any tactile to tell me where it is... so I almost bottom out... and then it feels really heavy to write on.

Imo the clears only feel heavy at the tactile bump and right before bottom out... so you can rest the fingers on the key and the tactile bump will prevent the key from being pressed. But as soon as you gone over the bump the key is quite light... and after the "light area" it immediately becomes heavy again.. preventing you from bottom out.

I have clears in my work keyboard... and I don't experiance any fatigue (I'm working as a coder and type a lot)...
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 January 2011, 02:43:48 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 07:39:07 »
The Cherry with clears in my sig is arriving today...I'll let you know what I think after I try it!

Offline RiGS

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 21:30:40 »
I think once you have the muscle memory then it is pretty automatic.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 21:39:50 »
Ok I got mine today...more info is in the 'what did you get in the mail today' forum. Basically IMO the switches are OK - I think they are too tiring for me to consider this board as a possible daily driver. They are more exciting to type on than cherry browns but I much prefer cherry reds. Actually, I find the feel of them fairly similar to 55g Topre (which makes sense since they are 55g weighted as well). I could see how one could get used to this board though and like it. I'd say if you think cherry browns are way too light than you might like cherry clears. Hope that helps a bit and didn't confuse you more!

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 21:52:01 »
Hahaha...don't get me wrong, My Realforces are still the best keyboards I own. I just like the G80-3494 a lot ok! I'm allowed to like another type of keyboard! Gosh!

Zen thought of the day: keyboards are a journey, not a destination!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 January 2011, 21:56:48 by keyboardlover »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 22:04:48 »
Build quality, IMO is OK. There is a little flex but only in the very center in the board (typical of PCB-mounted full-size cherry boards). Other than that it feels pretty solid. I suppose if you really wanted you could try modding it and cutting off the numpad. Not sure if that's possible with that board though.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 22:11:36 »
Cherrys are now the one I realy want. Still have to find cheap offer for one...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Nadger

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 22:12:59 »
I think after reading many posts about people who have tried many switches I have come to realize physical interfaces are much like graphic interfaces.

I have made quite a few GUIs for various MMORPGs and software I have written, and one important lesson I learned from taking user feedback was this;  An interface can be superior in function, layout and feel, but it never feels right straight away.  It takes time to adjust and grow into.

My UIs were always very centric, so the most important bits are staged around the main work area.  But a typical MMORPG layout has everything spread all over the screen, which is not optimal.  You can change it so it is optimal and people will ***** and complain, but once they get used to the new layout, they hate the old one.

So the same holds true I think for keyboards.  Its a mix of personal preference and what you are used to.  Now, thats not to say that you will like any keyboard given time, or any UI given time.  Its just to say that personal preference must come 2nd to interface.  Once you get over that hurdle of change, then its fair to judge the end product.

Given also that mechanical keyboards are expensive, they come with a bit of buyers remorse and buyer fanboism.  You just paid $100+ for this thing and you expected more, or you just paid $100+ for it, and you're going to like it damn it!  If you are lucky you are delighted with your purchase, but you will always wonder if there is better out there.  Much like relationships can even be =p  The grass is always greener and whatnot.

Anyway, I don't mean to get all philosophical on all of you =p

Soon I will go through this as well in the next week or so once my first mech arrives.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 22:17:34 »
Good luck! The problem we've spoken about in the past is that despite all the wonderful knowledge and information we've gathered here about keyboards, we still don't know jack s@$# about why people like different keyboards/switches! Everyone has individual tastes and it's very difficult to gauge them unless you just start trying (in most cases buying) keyboards. Just like software; the user often doesn't know what they want until they know what they DON'T want.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 January 2011, 22:25:31 by keyboardlover »

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 January 2011, 22:19:44 »
Quote from: Nadger;282075
I think after reading many posts about people who have tried many switches I have come to realize physical interfaces are much like graphic interfaces.

I have made quite a few GUIs for various MMORPGs and software I have written, and one important lesson I learned from taking user feedback was this;  An interface can be superior in function, layout and feel, but it never feels right straight away.  It takes time to adjust and grow into.

My UIs were always very centric, so the most important bits are staged around the main work area.  But a typical MMORPG layout has everything spread all over the screen, which is not optimal.  You can change it so it is optimal and people will ***** and complain, but once they get used to the new layout, they hate the old one.

So the same holds true I think for keyboards.  Its a mix of personal preference and what you are used to.  Now, thats not to say that you will like any keyboard given time, or any UI given time.  Its just to say that personal preference must come 2nd to interface.  Once you get over that hurdle of change, then its fair to judge the end product.

Given also that mechanical keyboards are expensive, they come with a bit of buyers remorse and buyer fanboism.  You just paid $100+ for this thing and you expected more, or you just paid $100+ for it, and you're going to like it damn it!  If you are lucky you are delighted with your purchase, but you will always wonder if there is better out there.  Much like relationships can even be =p  The grass is always greener and whatnot.

Anyway, I don't mean to get all philosophical on all of you =p

Soon I will go through this as well in the next week or so once my first mech arrives.

I agree, old school layouts are usable when gotten used, still people will ***** when they have gotten used to something different.

Also I agree on later point. I realy enjoyed my first brown board, BS after it didn't feel too special, and current black isn't too enjoyable either, human mind is strange...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs