Author Topic: Any Realforce board to borrow for a time  (Read 5197 times)

Offline hfcobra

• Trade Count: (0)
Any Realforce board to borrow for a time
« on: Sun, 23 January 2011, 17:10:27 »
hey, i just want to try out the switches on a Realforce.  Anyone willing to let me borrow theirs for a week or so?  Ill pay shipping both ways   :)
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 10:11:55 »
I don't think you'll be getting any people jumping ahead in line on this one :crazy:

As maxlugar once said:
You couldn't pry my Topre keyboards from my cold dead fingers...

Offline bugfix

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 10:13:55 »
Have you tried this one yet?
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline piotrek

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 11:26:25 »
You're bold kid... very bold hahaha. No really, NICE TRY but try to pay something like 20$+ for it and you may get somebody to do it yet I am filled with doubt ;D

Offline msiegel

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 11:44:26 »
well, he *did* give my dollar back :D

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 12:26:40 »
Maybe if you changed your avatar to GI JOE, i'll bet people would be more inclined :X
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:08:40 »
lol, good responses but i was just posting it just in case someone was trusting enough to help me out, cause i cannot afford one and i dont want to save for one just to find out that i might prefer cherry switches   :P    

Hopefully someone lets me borrow it!   :D

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:11:43 »
Quote from: bugfix;283893
Have you tried this one yet?

i did not know about that, but i would prefer to try a whole keyboard to feel the typing experience rather than just feel one switch, that way i could know for sure.   It would feel a bit different with only one switch versus actually typing i would think.

Offline bugfix

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:16:15 »
I would probably lend you mine (which I yet have to order^^) if you lived in Germany, but since you live in the US...
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:19:26 »
Quote from: bugfix;283979
I would probably lend you mine (which I yet have to order^^) if you lived in Germany, but since you live in the US...

yea, shipping is just too much for out of country, plus customs and the ridiculously long time to ship would not be any fun.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:50:36 »
Wouldn't it be nice if we could try out Topres before we committed....

On the flip side, you could probably sell it for close to full value if you found out you didn't like it.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:54:03 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;284050
Wouldn't it be nice if we could try out Topres before we committed....

On the flip side, you could probably sell it for close to full value if you found out you didn't like it.

eh, i would rather sell for full of course, but maybe that is an option i can explore later when i get my second job over the summer.  Right now i dont have enough money to buy one outright since i just saved enough for my Leopolds, so i can just hope someone lets me borrow theirs   :P

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 15:28:11 »
Just curious but what kind of Topre were you thinking of getting eventually ?

I noticed the 103U-UW prices went up a bit. The promotion prices were over at elitekeyboards :{

It's basically a 103U but comes with the topre key puller, badge etc :x
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 17:55:11 »
well i was thinking of getting the full-sized Realforce because i like using full-size keyboards.  So it would probably be the Realforce 103UB.  I am thinking of getting the one with different weights for the keys since that is one of the real benefits of a Topre as far as i can tell.  The option is still there for the all 55g switch 'board though, but fading unless i really dont like typing on the 103UB.

Offline Sam

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:35:00 »
Just a suggestion, you might have better luck asking if there's someone who lives nearby you that you could go visit and try out their Realforce for an hour or so in exchange for lunch or something.  People might not be so willing to send their prized Realforce to a stranger, and especially if they like it and use it regularly.  Just letting someone come to them to try it out would likely be a lot more acceptable I'd think.

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:36:27 »
well does anyone live around Sylvania, Ohio?  It is near toledo.  I dont think that our community is big enough for this to work sadly   :P

Offline laden3

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:52:32 »
I don't think that someone who is serious about their keyboards will like someone touching their keyboards... It is like someone effing your virgin girlfriend (seriously)

If right now you don't have the money, even if you like it, you can't own it. After buying the Leopold, you will probably prefer the Realforce, so, you have to sell the Leopold again and save up for the Realforce... In the end, you lose money...

My suggestion is that you can try to buy the Realforce in the geekhack marketplace (someone is selling 1) or buy the Leopold. If you do not hate it, learn to love it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:54:47 by laden3 »
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 19:14:38 »
Quote from: laden3;284158
I don't think that someone who is serious about their keyboards will like someone touching their keyboards... It is like someone effing your virgin girlfriend (seriously)

If right now you don't have the money, even if you like it, you can't own it. After buying the Leopold, you will probably prefer the Realforce, so, you have to sell the Leopold again and save up for the Realforce... In the end, you lose money...

My suggestion is that you can try to buy the Realforce in the geekhack marketplace (someone is selling 1) or buy the Leopold. If you do not hate it, learn to love it.

well i loved my U9BL, so i am sure that i will love the Leopold when they get in stock, i just want to find the best switch for me, so i want to try a Torpre out to either find out it is the best for me or find that i prefer cherry switches more.

Offline Sam

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 19:23:54 »
Quote from: laden3;284158

Well, I for one wouldn't mind at all letting a Geekhack member try out any of my keyboards, unless it was a NIB keyboard that even I wouldn't use.  I'm not at all concerned about someone else using my keyboard.  90% of my keyboards were used previously by someone else, and 100% of the keyboards I use at my desk are used by various people who come to see me and need to use my computer for a few moments.  Of course if I let someone borrow my keyboard and he started picking his nose, the wiping it off on my keyboard, I might have a few choice words about his manners and think twice about letting people use my keyboard in the future.  So far though everyone who's used my keyboards have been very thoughtful in not doing anything like that.

I do have a Realforce keyboard that has less than 24 hours of use on it.  Anyone here is welcome to test it out if you want, but I doubt there are many who would want to fly to Korea just to test it out.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 19:45:55 »
cobra theres also a new topre model but 108 keys and with that ugly japanese spacebar.

But it has nkro o.O;

[/FONT]

Offline theferenc

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 19:49:22 »
There are some of us in central indiana with topre keyboards. Mine is a HHKB, though. Similar switch feel, but apparently the realforces feel better.

Realforces have the wrong layout for me, though.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 21:29:05 »
Quote from: Moogle Stiltzkin;284176
cobra theres also a new topre model but 108 keys and with that ugly japanese spacebar.

But it has nkro o.O;

i found one like it, but the japanese layout is not for me at all   :P  

i am thinking that i will buy that Topre and see what it is all about and if i dont love it, ill just sell it for minimal to no loss.  Since i am not buying it new i should be able to sell for almost the same price i buy it for   :)

Offline Sam

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 22:27:42 »
That's really the way to do it if you have the money to purchase the board.  I bought a very slightly used Realforce and I'm sure I could resell it here for more than I paid for it if I wanted to.  It turns out I don't like Topres, but I'm keeping it anyways for reference.

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 23:28:32 »
alright, well i will do that then.  hopefully i can resell if i dont like it   :P
ill just keep the box and see how everything goes   :)