Author Topic: Authentic Cherry US ansi beige/white keys for Ducky keyboard  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

• Trade Count: (0)
Authentic Cherry US ansi beige/white keys for Ducky keyboard
« on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 12:46:12 »
Ok so this is this situation.

I bought Sixty's Cherry Double Shot Keys (US ANSI, Beige)

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14240

However as you can see from my Ducky keyboard, it is incomplete as it is missing the following compatible key caps.

1. Windowed numslock, scroll lock, capslock
2. windowed F9, F10, F11
3. ctrl, alt width larger than ducky's
4.windows, menu keys
5. spacebar width larger than ducky's

7bit was working on a promising ducky kit however it didn't pan out because there was not enough demand for it unfortunately.

Anyway for 1, i already got them thanks to Sixty. Also ripster is in progress modding it to be compatible. Also i may be able to get a kit from online as well.

For 2, i also may have some from a donor keyboard. Still in progress.

The ones i need help finding is 3, 4 and 5. The colors i need preferably should be matching my beige/white color scheme.

Would anyone be able to provide the parts i need please :bounce:

PS: my keyboard's full review can be found here
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:14092
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 12:51:57 by Moogle Stiltzkin »
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:11:15 »
This is unlikely to happen, in a nutshell the beige doubleshot CTRL/ALT/WIN/APP keys only exist in one model:

G80-3000H*MGB made after 1995 with Windows keys. They only made a rather small batch of these (I guess around 10000 keyboards) and already started to use lasered keys exclusively for G80s with Windows keys a few months after.  As far as I know a ANSI model never existed anymore with Windows keys and double shot keys, and the only variants they made are UK or German layout. So if you want English legends you will end up having to hunt for that single G80 mentioned above.

- pic courtesy of lost eden.

Spacebar - Does not exist. The spacebar from the Winkey G80s will not fit the Ducky.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:35:53 »
Basically 3000 series doubleshot GB layout ? Ok i will keep my eyes open.

Hm ... i rather like my ducky pbt spacebar but the color doesn't match.

Right now i am using white rice's black doubleshots for the bottom row, and the ducky spacebar. Looks nice, but i want to remove white rice's keys so i can use that for a whole new keyboard later on.

Guess this will take some time no biggie :X
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Offline kps

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:03:23 »
What are the exact widths of the keys you are missing?

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 14:16:53 »
I was told

The Ducky ones should be 1.25'' not 1.75'' sized

Comparing the ducky and sixty's keys, sixty's are slightly wider by a bit which is why the control and alt did not fit. Same issue for the spacebar as well.

7bit's SP mo is still an option but an unattainable one for me. Not enough people were interested in the 25 sets required, and i myself can't afford to spend that much just for a few keys i need for myself :{ It's not economical.

So i'm kinda stuck right now :{

The spacebar i think i can still get from 7bit, but color might be slightly off but that is better than nothing i suppose.

@sixty

i saw the g80-3000 LQMEU also has the right color scheme but not doubleshot :{
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 January 2011, 18:48:31 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 00:39:35 »
Quote from: sixty;283975
This is unlikely to happen, in a nutshell the beige doubleshot CTRL/ALT/WIN/APP keys only exist in one model:

G80-3000H*MGB made after 1995 with Windows keys. They only made a rather small batch of these (I guess around 10000 keyboards) and already started to use lasered keys exclusively for G80s with Windows keys a few months after.  As far as I know a ANSI model never existed anymore with Windows keys and double shot keys, and the only variants they made are UK or German layout. So if you want English legends you will end up having to hunt for that single G80 mentioned above.

Seeing as this is the case why is it people are not interested in 7bit's kit to add a color compatible set of control/windows/alt/menu/space bar keys to go with Sixty's set.

If we had 25 people interested it could still happen :/ sigh.

Maybe they are buying sixty's keys for the old cherry boards, but it's a shame if people haven't also considered them for newer boards with 104 + keys. they are really nice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 January 2011, 00:41:53 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline calavera

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 01:42:39 »
I'd be interested in a set. I'd be extremely interested in a black double shot set though if that were possible.\
I'd definitely buy two or more sets if they were available in black.

Whats the projected cost per set?

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 02:08:04 »
I'm guessing somewhere between the prices of these 2 kits that were dropped

Symbols kit ................. $10 / 25 (SYMBOLS) // 1 set is too few!
Ducky kit ................... $20 / 25 (DUCKY) // 0 voted for this, skip!

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=282313&postcount=518

For spacebars the matching beige/white isn't available. The current grey is probably the same dark grey like white rice's which doesn't match the beige/white cherry vintage keyset color scheme. Maybe we could include the correctly colored spacebar in the proposed kit i am suggesting. If you want a black spacebar it's already available in 7bit's mo.

Spacebars:
Default is a grey space bar (SPACEGREY) which matches Filco/Ducky and recent Cherry G80-3000.
You don't need to vote for that grey space bar, if you want this to be included to your Standard kit.

However, if you don't want it, but another one instead, add the following line to your vote:
SPACEGREY 0

If you fear to end up with Standard sets without a space bar:
I will check if there are as many space bars as Standard sets included and send you a note about that.

One space bar per Standard kit is free, if there are at least 25 being produced.

Additional space bars cost approx. $2 if 25 are being produced, or $3 if 10 are being produced.

Keyboard .......................... Order ID
Cherry/Filco/Ducky ................ (SPACEBLACK)
Cherry/Filco/Ducky ................ (SPACEGREY)
Cherry/Filco/Ducky ................ (SPACEORANGE)

G80-3000 and some POS and 19" keybaords:
old Cherry without Win key ........ (SPACEOLDBLACK)
old Cherry without Win key ........ (SPACEOLDGREY)
old Cherry without Win key ........ (SPACEOLDORANGE)

old Cherry keyboards without Windows keys:
Cherry POS (MX1800) ............... (SPACEPOSBLACK)
Cherry POS (MX1800) ............... (SPACEPOSGREY)
Cherry POS (MX1800) ............... (SPACEPOSORANGE)

new 19" keyboards with Windows keys:
Cherry NEW (MX11900) ............... (SPACENEWBLACK)
Cherry NEW (MX11900) ............... (SPACENEWGREY)
Cherry NEW (MX11900) ............... (SPACENEWORANGE)

No Leopold space bar, because key caps manufacturer hasn't got the tools to make it!

No Blackwidow space bar, because I never got the measures!

So my suggested kit for Sixty's white/beige set is

1. 1.25'' control, alt, windows and menu keys
2. space bar

*all specifically for white/beige matching color scheme and a roughly similar font and font size for Sixty's 101 white/beige us ansi double shot set.

This layout was for the previous ducky kit. So this newly proposed kit only has the bottom row only.

1. Moogle (white/beige with black fonts)

2. calavera (black with white fonts)

3. calavera (black with white fonts)

I'll create a thread for this in group buy because more people will get to see this proposal :x
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 January 2011, 02:25:35 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 02:53:51 »
Calavero i posted the kit thread here for those interested

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14698

[/FONT]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 14:47:10 »
Here are some better pics for the keys i'm looking for

[/FONT]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 16:37:44 »
The more widely available keys is like this

G81-7000HPBUS-2. H is for "High Quality" and I believe that always translates to Double Shot keys. You dont see them often especially in the US but they are on these POS boards.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6924&p=284676&postid=284676#post284676

Even those people opting for the black white cherry's may have come across the problem of replacing the bottom row keys

Anyway i may also be interested in the black white cherry double shots, but my main interest is the beige/white if possible.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 January 2011, 17:48:40 by Moogle Stiltzkin »

[/FONT]

Offline calavera

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 20:10:58 »
Can we add capslock with centered sockets to this kit please? A stepped capslock like below does not fit in Filcos or ducky keyboards because the switch socket isn't centered.

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 January 2011, 23:39:16 »
Ok we add that into the kit. Since not everyones gonna know how to mod the stem.

[/FONT]