Author Topic: Filco Tenkeyless a switch oddity  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Korg

Filco Tenkeyless a switch oddity
« on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 17:01:17 »
After a patient wait I've finally received a Filco Tenkeyless (UK spec).

The keyboard itself is lovely, and after reading many a post at this forum I have swayed towards the "cherry brown" switches. At first I was tempted by the "blue" as the clicky sound does seem quite nice to hear on youtube vids, but was worried that it could annoy me after a while, however, if I ever do feel the need to have the clicky keyboard sound I'll give a spare mouse to the wife and she can stand over me clicking it in time to my key presses :P (it's ok she won't read this - I hope).

Now, on to the problem, here in the UK (and many other countries), we like to throw in an extra key, in between the "left shift" and the "Z" key namely the "\" key. After opening the very smart brown box and having a test press of each key, I found the "\" key to feel different. It is a lot stiffer than the rest and periodically doesn't want to return to it's original position.

Have included some photos to show the problem, my apologies for the quality, they were taken on a phone camera and reduced in size.

I have already emailed the supplier and hopefully will arrange a replacement.

So, whats the "oddity" all about, I hear you ask, well it's this......

As you may be able to make out, the switch has a different orientation to the others, was this an error, or do other people have keyboards with switches turned around? Does it infact make any difference at all?

I was also wondering if Filco have retro fitted the "/" ket to accomodate the ISO countries.

Does the US layout have a central switch underneath the longer "left shift"? If so then that would rule out the retro fit theory.

You do hear stories of stamps and coins being incorrectly orientated at manufacture and thusly become very valuable to collectors, do I, perchance, have a priceless keyboard :P

(Offers start at $20,000 hehe).

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 17:06:06 »
The switch being upside down is most likely normal and intended. This is done in a lot of keyboard and most of the time has to do with either PCB design or to make "optional" (as in International) keys easier to spot in the production process. I have a Chicony with MX Blacks and every "European" key is mounted upside down too.

However, your switch is damaged most likely. But it might just be some type of dirt in there or a misaligned spring. You might be able to fix it with some wiggling or compressed air.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 17:16:05 »
Hi Korg, welcome to geekhack! =)

The reverse oriented switch is not an issue in any way. Some keyboards have them the other way around and some keyboards  have a different orientation on the same board (though not as common).

Their switch is "mostly" for all intensive purposes symmetrical in terms of end user operation in your case.  The likely reason for the hangup in the return of the keystem is a left over plastic burr.

You can:
-Desolder the switch and open it up, perhaps correct it from there or swap it out.

-Put the keycap  back on and hammer it repeatedly and very quickly and perhaps that will disslodge the burr or other obstruction

-shot a bit of compressed air (even from a can) into the top of  the switch while working it around. Heck, maybe just blow on it.

-Take it up with the manufacturer as you mentioned.

It's not a common problem, but definately not unheard of.
Enjoy it in the mean time it's a fun switch to be sure.

=)

...and good luck in whatever you choose to do. And do please keep us posted as to your ultimate resolve.

Edit:  Whoops I needed to refresh (i never remember to do that). +1 to what sixty said.
=)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 February 2011, 17:19:43 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Korg

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 14:26:52 »
Just a small update.....

I decided to give clickclack's option 2 and the latter part of option 3 a go. After spamming the key for a few sessions over the weekend, using slightly different angles, I can now report that the key appears to be working as intended, hazaar!

I'm not really sure my "blowing" on the switch was up to par but definately had psychological benefits :P

Thankyou for your responses :)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 15:43:31 »