Author Topic: Filco Cherry Blue Broken Spacebar Switch  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Adsee

Filco Cherry Blue Broken Spacebar Switch
« on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:35:53 »
I got a Filco about a year ago, and, while I loved it, recently it took a hit from a book that fell off a shelf near me (I was cleaning it) and now the spacebar seems to just get stuck often.

I opened up the board and discovered that the switch itself was not naturally bouncing back up after each keystroke; it would just stay depressed. Is there any way to fix it, or am I screwed?

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:42:23 »
If the switch isn't repairable you might be in for some trouble. You could probably cut the top part off with a chisel and then desolder and cutting away the bottom part from between the pcb and mounting plate. Putting a new switch in you can do through the mounting plate.

EDIT: Actually with the spacebar switch you might be able to unhook the top part of the switch getting it off. At least there is plenty of room next to it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:45:19 by PrinsValium »

Offline Kacee

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 13:59:21 »
I thought to remove the plate-mounted switch you will have to desolder the switch?

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 14:13:26 »
Yeah, of course you are right, I got this crazy idea it wouldn't be enough to get it out. But of course it is possible to desolder just one switch =P In this case though I still think it might be possible to pop it open...