Author Topic: Chicony Keyboard Site  (Read 1288 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Chicony Keyboard Site
« on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 00:10:14 »
I finally went to check out the chicony web site today.  I was pretty dissapointed to say the least.  I don't know who designed their site, but if they really want to sell more keyboards, they really should start with their presence on the web.  Not only that, but none of their newer keyboards seem to have much going for them.  It seems to me that Chicony would have done something to talk up their relationship with IBM and touted the quality of the only keyboard they ever made that is worth anything, the KB-8923 (at least in my opinion).  They do have one model they advertise as being very tactile though.  I wonder if they are using the same rubber dome membrane as the 8923.  I somehow doubt that the quality of their rubber domes comes close tho that of the 8923 though.  Mass production and cost cutting have hurt the quality of a lot of keyboard manufacturers, so it's no wonder to me that even Chicony has lost a serious edge in keyboard design.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Eclairz

Chicony Keyboard Site
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 February 2011, 04:28:24 »
I think chicony concentrate on their laptop designs, which are used in some ThinkPads. Honestly desktop computers are going out of fashion. Unfortunately that means mainstream keyboard companies now focus on laptop style scissor switch keyboards.

Luckily due to starcraft 2, the number of "gaming keyboards" with mechanical switches has risen. But this again is just fashion, basically unless more games/applications take advantage of the keyboard, companies will stop making them low demand = death.

The first OS were totally dependent on the keyboard which is why IBM built the best keyboard, nowadays most operating systems use the mouse, touch pad or touch screen.

Even the mouse is going out of fashion to an extent with Apple and Microsoft focusing on other types of interface Apple with the their touch pad/screen gestures and their magic pad, Microsoft with their touch pad mouse and Kinect Camera, but luckily there its fashionable among gamers to buy FPS mice.

What we need is someone to make a keyboard based Linux which is super fashionable, which is probably impossible since everybody is more interested in consumption than they are in actually making content. So I deem programmers go forth and create something to make the keyboard special again.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad