Author Topic: Diatec's new US Distributor for Filco announced...  (Read 19249 times)

Offline pm_

Diatec's new US Distributor for Filco announced...
« on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 06:14:49 »
Kind of.

I received an email from Diatec, and the new US Distributor is "Amazon USA!"  Just go to Amazon and put in "Majestouch".  Orders are handled via The Keyboard Company and fulfilled by Amazon, with the "cooperation" of Diatec.  Only a few models to start, more in the future.

That's pretty much what they told me, although not quite verbatim...Isn't everyone excited!?!?

Following these instructions, I find four Filco's, all 104 key, two are blues, two are browns, and one of each type is the "USA Keyboard".  I'm  assuming the non USA models are ISO, although the descriptions don't clarify (or I'm missing it because I'm sleepy).  So no tenkeyless yet.  Prices are $149 for the "USA" and $154 for the presumably ISO.

Not exactly what I was expecting, but at least you'll presumably get it a little sooner.  However, if I wanted a full size with blues, I would have just ordered the Rosewill RK-9000 and saved the $50.  I also wonder how service/warranty work would be handled, which is one of the reasons why I wanted a US distributor...I hope those Leopold's are worth the wait...

Offline bugfix

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 06:20:05 »
http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=302067&postcount=11

Pretty cool, the keyboardco folks are very nice.
*~Unicomp and Topre fan~*
I have:
Unicomp Customizer 105 German
Realforce 105GR
Unicomp Spacesaver German/Ansi hybrid(Current favorite)
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:
DAS Model S Ultimate EU (Sold)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 06:20:42 »
I'm thinking it's not exactly what Ripster was expecting either :D

Oh well, Filcos are officially available in the USA! Through Amazon! Via TheKeyboardco!

Offline neo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 06:45:13 »
Quote from: pm_;302075
I also wonder how service/warranty work would be handled, which is one of the reasons why I wanted a US distributor...

Listed as "Fulfilled by Amazon". Meaning packing, delivery, customer service and returns are all handled by Amazon.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 07:03:48 »
Quote from: pm_;302075

That's pretty much what they told me, although not quite verbatim...Isn't everyone excited!?!?

No, because Amazon USA refuses to ship anywhere but the USA.  With vendors like EK there's still a ton of annoying overhead to ship to Canada but at least it can be done.

:mad:

It's great for everyone in the US48, though

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 09:12:36 »
One of my buddies who happens to be a videogame publisher had a similar deal with Amazon. What it means is basically that they ship the item to Amazon, then Amazon ships the item to the customer. Within Germany this easily adds about a 2-3 days extra to the otherwise light speed overnight shipping from Amazon. I assume though that things work differently here. Bruce probably either sends a big shipment to Amazon first, so they have enough in stock, or better ships directly from Asia to them.

The other way could never work out here I guess.

Offline bugfix

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 09:15:15 »
Hm, my items that were marked with "fulfillment by Amazon" were always pretty quickly delivered, so I assumed they had them in stock already.
I have:
Realforce 105GR
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 09:25:35 »
This is Fullfillment by Amazon on their FBA programme. The goods you see on there are in Amazon warehouses in USA and ship out like their own goods. You can get the 'super saver' shipping and all that and full Amazon support.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 09:25:43 »
Well, at least I'm glad that we get some sort of distribution in US but still no tenkeyless..

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1298906578/ref=sr_gnr_fkmr0?ie=UTF8&node=&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=majestouch
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 09:41:50 »
Being that they're more overpriced than ever, I wonder if they'll be able to compete for long in the USA market.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:17:09 »
If you have free shipping, it's about the same as buying it from Elitekeyboards.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:28:51 »
Quote from: ripster;302179
Do you think Welly would consider the 30 day Amazon "No Questions Asked" guarantee sufficient?  I've never seen such a guy RMA so many keyboards and get on so many reseller "black lists".

I should hope so.  Amazon is pretty lenient.  I'm sure, however, that the Keyboard Co. has to take the hit in which case, Bruce would blacklist Welly.

Offline Variable

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:34:57 »
this is some pretty awesome
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 February 2011, 11:59:28 by Variable »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:41:02 »
Quote from: ripster;302185
I wonder if you are somehow shielded from the downstream distributor though?

Not that I would ever do such a thing.  I always had higher morals than Welly.

I would hope so, but I guess that would depend on the contract with Amazon.  I would think that Amazon would force the third parties to honor certain conditions to protect the Amazon brand.  I'm sure far too many people still think they're buying from Amazon instead of a third party via Amazon, so I would imagine that they would want to take some extra precautions.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 11:03:12 »
And now I must annoyingly ask: is one of these bad boys worth a fifty dollar premium over an RK9000, assuming Newegg ever stocks them again?
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline pm_

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:02:46 »
Quote from: neo;302082
Listed as "Fulfilled by Amazon". Meaning packing, delivery, customer service and returns are all handled by Amazon.

See, that really bugs me.  If Amazon is handling all of those aspects, why is The Keyboard Co. even involved?  As ripster said, it just adds an extra person in the middle that increases the overall cost of delivering the product.  Why not just sell directly through Amazon?  I wonder what does Amazon charge to handle fulfillment etc.?

I'm guessing Diatec must currently have volume issues and US retailers aren't really interested in carrying products they can't get in stock.  Also, perhaps there just isn't the volume in the mid to high end keyboard market in the US for larger retailers to care, so you just end up with a boutique retailer here and there.

This definitely looks like a step backwards from when Elite Keyboards stocked them.

Offline bugfix

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:05:35 »
Quote from: pm_;302357
This definitely looks like a step backwards from when Elite Keyboards stocked them.

Really? About the same price as before, backed by a company that is at least as competent, while using the infrastructure of Amazon(!)...
I have:
Realforce 105GR
I want:
Realforce 88GER
I used to have:

Offline pm_

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:15:46 »
Quote from: bugfix;302358
Really? About the same price as before, backed by a company that is at least as competent, while using the infrastructure of Amazon(!)...

Well, I don't like:

1. Having an additional middleman
2. Buying from an overseas company, even if it's being "fulfilled" stateside

No knock against The Keyboard Co., they appear to have a good reputation.  But being overseas could complicate things.  There's no mention of the warranty on these boards, and if you need service outside of what, 30 days, do you have to ship the board overseas? Will Amazon handle warranty service?  If so, why even list The Keyboard Co., at all in relation to the product? I'm not saying The Keyboard Co., won't take care of you, but it I'm sure it has to complicate things, at least a little bit.

So, again, I think this is clearly a step backwards, albeit better than having nothing at all...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:16:53 »
Actually, I think the Amazon distribution is a better deal than EKB.  At the very least, you have a more consumer-friendly return policy.  Also, you have the all the Amazon support staff.

That said, most of these advantages are because of the blanket return policy Amazon has vs. the more specific nature of EKB's policy, and EKB is a much smaller, boutique retailer with less sales, staff, etc. to offset a return policy like this.

Offline pm_

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:29:55 »
Quote from: itlnstln;302364
That said, most of these advantages are because of the blanket return policy Amazon has vs. the more specific nature of EKB's policy, and EKB is a much smaller, boutique retailer with less sales, staff, etc. to offset a return policy like this.

Noted. Very good points worth consideration.

They should eventually get tenkeyless in...hopefully in ANSI.

Offline Felcom

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:33:12 »
Would this have affected current orders to the US?
Still waiting on a Filco I ordered 2 weeks ago. :rain:

Could probably have it in two days via Amazon, so good new for the future I guess.

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:47:47 »
Hi Felcom

We got our stock today so it will have shipped today or will do tomorrow.
We will continue to ship USA orders received on keyboardco.com as normal. Although as you might have got caught out by the timing I can see if we can stop the order if you want to check out Amazon.

Offline lokisnake

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:49:03 »
Quote from: pm_;302357
See, that really bugs me.  If Amazon is handling all of those aspects, why is The Keyboard Co. even involved?  As ripster said, it just adds an extra person in the middle that increases the overall cost of delivering the product.  Why not just sell directly through Amazon?  I wonder what does Amazon charge to handle fulfillment etc.?

I'm guessing Diatec must currently have volume issues and US retailers aren't really interested in carrying products they can't get in stock.  Also, perhaps there just isn't the volume in the mid to high end keyboard market in the US for larger retailers to care, so you just end up with a boutique retailer here and there.

For us to buy directly through Amazon, Amazon needs to purchase and carry the products themselves. In the current case, The Keyboard Co is the one purchasing/importing the products to the US. Amazon is simply a product listing/shipping/handling service here. It isn't ideal, but it's something for now.

Offline s7e

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:11:43 »
This is great news. Price isn't bad either.

I really want a tenkeyless version, I hope they sell them on amazon or in the USA very soon!

Maybe The Keyboard Company/Bruce could let us know if we could expect any other models to be sold? What about replacement key caps and other accessories?

Offline drsauced

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:19:00 »
Wow.  Do want!  I was saving up for one of those OCN Duckys in MX Brown, but is the Filco a better keyboard?
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline RiGS

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:19:34 »
Definitely.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:24:28 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;302148
Being that they're more overpriced than ever, I wonder if they'll be able to compete for long in the USA market.

40$ cheaper than in UK if tax is included, I wouldn't complain...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:31:30 »
Yo Dawg!

I heard you like Filco! So I put a distributor in your distributor, so you can buy while you buy!

woody

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:35:42 »
Quote from: Ekaros;302420
40$ cheaper than in UK if tax is included, I wouldn't complain...

You're not American.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:40:04 »
Quote from: woody;302423
You're not American.

And am I glad of it! ;D
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:46:04 »
Quote from: Ekaros;302426
And am I glad of it! ;D

Why?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 17:58:54 »
Probably because of the lack of fluoride in the public water supply.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 18:03:32 »
Tenkeyless is going to be available on Amazon in the next couple days according to Bruce at Keyboardco, he said they sent out 3 orders to Amazon the first 1 is on Amazon now with the others to follow in the next couple days.
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline Felcom

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 18:21:39 »
Quote from: Bruce;302406
Hi Felcom

We got our stock today so it will have shipped today or will do tomorrow.
We will continue to ship USA orders received on keyboardco.com as normal. Although as you might have got caught out by the timing I can see if we can stop the order if you want to check out Amazon.

No worries! Came home to a registered mail tag on my door so I'm pretty sure it came while at work today. Figures, as soon as I make a stink about it, there it is =P Can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

Offline killy

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 18:25:16 »
Newegg canada is actually run logistically by UPS, I believe. They function as the warehouse from which wares are delivered and they also handle the RMAs.

I imagine that this is the case w/ Amazon and KeyboardCo. Keep in mind that either way Filcos would need to cross an ocean to get to America. Thus, if there are already established shipping lines to the UK, it would make sense to simply forward them to the US.

Offline upperguy

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 18:33:32 »
so what do we think the timeframe/chances of a tenkeyless are?

Offline clack

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 18:48:03 »
nnoooo, not a us filco distro. now even noobs can get a filco ;_;

Offline upperguy

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 18:50:50 »
Hi Danny
Thanks for your email.
There will be two more batches going on Amazon in the next week or so and there will be TKL with Blues.
Let me know if I can help.
Bruce

In reply to my email asking if tenkeyless blues will become available.

Offline s7e

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 19:05:03 »
Quote from: upperguy;302478
In reply to my email asking if tenkeyless blues will become available.

Thanks for the info! I will be looking forward to these! :D

Offline n12

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 19:24:11 »
Still, isn't this >=$20 more than buying from PCHome(including shipping)?

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 19:35:59 »
Quote from: n12;302493
Still, isn't this >=$20 more than buying from PCHome(including shipping)?

I think pchome is sold out their latest batch already. Shipping from Amazon w/ Prime is 2 days, shipping from Taiwan........................

Offline pm_

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 19:54:05 »
Quote from: longzilla;302499
I think pchome is sold out their latest batch already. Shipping from Amazon w/ Prime is 2 days, shipping from Taiwan........................

Shipping from Taiwan varies, doesn't it?  I thought PC home was about a week or so, although it could be a good bit worse around the holidays.  5-7 days isn't that bad, imo, especially if you don't have Amazon Prime.

I think it is $20-$30 more than ordering from PC Home.  On the flip side, you can return it if you have a problem with it.  Give a little, get a little...

On a side note, I do like the Ducky tenkeyless with blues that I borrowed, and I those look like they're about $105 shipped to the US...although they mostly look OOS.

Offline n12

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 20:01:21 »
Shipping from PCHome to US(Chicago,IL) took ~4 business days for me. Wasn't too bad at all. They also include some goodies such as keycap puller, red esc key, Filco branded keycap, and yellow wsad keys... Not sure if Keyboard Co includes this too but I know for sure that Elitekeyboards didn't include them(only the red esc key).

Offline theferenc

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 21:35:53 »
You know, the ability to order from a known trusted entity, within the US, has a lot of appeal to many buyers.

While I have no problem with ordering from PCHome or ArmyGroup, I can also read Chinese passably well, and my fiance is mainland Chinese, for the bits I have trouble with.

Without the ability to read the pages yourself, it's a lot more intimidating, not to mention potentially frustrating for many people. And really, $20-30 isn't that much for peace of mind, especially knowing you can return it if you really dislike it. And contrary to popular opinion here, not everyone is in love with Cherry switches.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Exoverture

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 21:52:03 »
Quote from: theferenc;302536
You know, the ability to order from a known trusted entity, within the US, has a lot of appeal to many buyers.

While I have no problem with ordering from PCHome or ArmyGroup, I can also read Chinese passably well, and my fiance is mainland Chinese, for the bits I have trouble with.

Without the ability to read the pages yourself, it's a lot more intimidating, not to mention potentially frustrating for many people. And really, $20-30 isn't that much for peace of mind, especially knowing you can return it if you really dislike it. And contrary to popular opinion here, not everyone is in love with Cherry switches.

There's always Google translate in Chrome :P

No but honestly, I ordered from ArmyGroup. I ordered it on Thursday, and it came to my house 9:43am on the following Monday. Pretty bloody fantastic!

$159 shipped. No customs!

Offline theferenc

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 22:31:55 »
Yes, you know that. But not everyone does, nor does everyone trust it.

Just remember, the people here are already strange. Just because we are ok with it doesn't mean everyone else is.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline neo

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 22:38:50 »
Quote from: theferenc;302554
Just remember, the people here are already strange.

That's an understatement of the year.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 23:16:24 »
Heh.  Hehehe.  Muahaha!

It's a bit more than I would have liked, but blue in MX Browns.  Amazon Prime should have it here by Thursday!
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline verifyid

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 23:42:36 »
Quote from: drsauced;302561
Heh.  Hehehe.  Muahaha!

It's a bit more than I would have liked, but blue in MX Browns.  Amazon Prime should have it here by Thursday!

you're in the same boat i am

Offline jaynoon

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 00:54:19 »
Pretty sure fulfilled by Amazon, sold by KeyboardCo just means that KeyboardCo buys the products, sends them to Amazon's warehouse, and then Amazon handles distribution once it's sold. Amazon gets a cut, but KeyboardCo doesn't have to operate warehouses, shipping & return facilities, etc..

You regularly see stuff that's fulfilled by Amazon that's cheaper than sold by Amazon.

Honestly, worst thing about this is that it probably endangers EK, who sell keyboards, yeah, but also sell cool stuff like clickclack's keys. Won't be seeing those on Amazon any time soon.
Home: Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Work: KBC Poker w/ Reds | Laptop: MacBook Air Keyboard