Author Topic: So, how much force does a Cherry Brown need to register  (Read 1832 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
So, how much force does a Cherry Brown need to register
« on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 07:55:28 »
I have seen the Cherry Brown rated at anywhere from 35 grams (here on geekhack) to 55 grams (45 for actuation + 10 to get over the 'hump'). As one who types lightly (I cut the silicon domes in my MS Natural 4000 to make it register lighter), I need the absolute lightest keyswitch available. Would that be the Cherry Brown? Should I consider something else? I see that Topre has a 30 gram switch available [1] but no Topre keyboards actually state which switch is used. In which keyboard is the 30 gram Topre to be found?

Thanks!

[1] http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html#post6009482

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 07:57:24 »
From the wiki (click da pic):

On the down press, the range of force starts at 40g. and goes up to 60g. just before the bottom-out occurs.  Activation occurs at 45g.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 08:00:42 »
The peak force is 55g. I think a variable force Topre is a better idea if you are looking for a low force keyboard, they are very light indeed.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 08:04:56 »
Quote from: ch_123;302694
I think a variable force Topre is a better idea if you are looking for a low force keyboard, they are very light indeed.

This is probably the case.  Personally, I would try both if you can.  I like the lightness of the Topres, but I prefer the overall force curve and "springiness" of the Cherry browns.  I feel that the springiness of the browns provides a sense of "energy efficiency" as the spring helps your fingers up after the stroke.  Topres just collapse since they are essentially (really nice) rubber domes.  The spring in the Topres is primarily there for activation and doesn't provide much, if anything, to the switch feel.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 10:25:43 »
I'd say grab a used MX11800. Then you'll know whether browns with some use on them are light enough without having spent a fortune.

If they should turn out not to be light enough, you can still study this guy's webpage.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D