Author Topic: Advise on mech keyboard  (Read 3622 times)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 09:52:21 »
I'll try to keep it short as I have a tendency to ramble on about things that aren't really important.

Basically, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard to partially replace my now 4 or 5 year old G15, which by the way is still looking perfect, I guess I have girlyman smooth fingers, so wearing out keys probably won't be an issue.

I've been looking at SteelSeries' 6 and 7G as well as Razer's BlackWidow as those are easily available with a nordic layout through most vendors here in Norway. I have never tried using a non-nordic keyboard, so I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be, but I don't really look at the keyboard when I type, so I assume it would be manageable.

There are several other threads here on the matter, but I still can't really wrap my head around everything.
I have no idea what kind of switch would suit me best, my computer use is mainly some casual gaming over all kinds of genres; Starcraft, CoD, Guild Wars, Diablo etc. as well as working with Adobe's programs a lot, so lots of shortcut usage. Not much typing really with the exception of chat, which I assume doesn't require a super duper typing keyboard.

Backlight, macro keys and fancy things like that is often a plus, but not necessary.

So, in short; A good gaming/allround mechanical keyboard that is relatively easily acquired in Europe. Price range preferably not above the BlackWidow Ultimate unless there's a really good reason. Nordic keys is a plus, but not necessary as I have been considering the blank Das.

If mods think this thread is excessive just let me know and I'll join in on one of the other similar threads instead and this can be deleted.

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 17:56:52 »
Over here in the Netherlands, it's extremely hard to find any new mechanical keyboard that isn't using MX black switches, which AFAIK aren't the best keys for anything but rough gaming. The consensus here seems to be that for Cherry MX, browns (tactile/non-clicky) are preferred for typing + gaming.

Keyboarco (UK) sells filcos with MX black, brown and blue in full-size and tenkeyless with Swedish/Finnish layout - check the site for exact pricing with shipping. Probably roughly the same price as the blackwidow.

EDIT: I just noticed the Nordic layout is a bit different from Swedish/Finnish. The physical arrangement of the keys is the same though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2011, 18:03:19 by Superfluous Parentheses »
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 18:38:24 »
Quote from: Superfluous Parentheses;303095
Over here in the Netherlands, it's extremely hard to find any new mechanical keyboard that isn't using MX black switches, which AFAIK aren't the best keys for anything but rough gaming. The consensus here seems to be that for Cherry MX, browns (tactile/non-clicky) are preferred for typing + gaming.

Keyboarco (UK) sells filcos with MX black, brown and blue in full-size and tenkeyless with Swedish/Finnish layout - check the site for exact pricing with shipping. Probably roughly the same price as the blackwidow.

EDIT: I just noticed the Nordic layout is a bit different from Swedish/Finnish. The physical arrangement of the keys is the same though.

What about red switches compared to brown? My G15 is holding up perfectly, so it's mostly for variation, and maybe salvation(if mech boards live up to the hype) I'm getting a new one. I read somewhere here that browns were great and safe, but not very interesting. Problem with reds would be availability though.

Also, my G15 is Swedish as there was no Norwegian on the market when I bought it. Note that I said Nordic layout, not Norwegian. So Danish and Swedish is just fine. Finnish I assume is very similar to Swedish.

As for layout, wouldn't it be possible to just replace the keys with blanks and get that problem out the window? The Das is very convenient in that fashion as they offer a blank layout off the bat.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:28:55 »
I think I've come to a conclusion; as it looks now I'll probably buy a Filco tenkeyless from Keyboardcompany, the "tactile" i guess is brown and "click" blue, so I will at least get the brown one.
Kind of want blank keys, so if I buy the 104 or 105 blank sets I will have enough to replace the keys on the 88 tenkeyless, or will the spacebar or some other one of a kind key be off size?

I've heard 86 and 87 versions are popular, is there any reason to hunt down one of those instead of the 88 from keyboardco?

Also interested in blue switches, can I easily just buy another 88 with blues or are there other keyboards with blues worth looking up?

Offline pitashen

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:32:57 »
Zowie
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:37:06 »
Quote from: pitashen;304432
Zowie

No. Just no. I place Zowie next to Roccat in my mental tray of brands; they're "cool" gaming accessories for 13 year old CS gamers. Might be wrong, but I will still refuse to buy any of their products.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:45:03 »
Yeah, that looks just about right.
Razer isn't much better either, really, only reason I kind of like Razer is nostalgia and that I haven't been very disappointed in them. Yet.

Ok, I was a bit disappointed when I didn't get 1600 APM in Starcraft with the Krait like the box told me I would.

Offline pitashen

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:53:10 »
Quote from: vun;304435
No. Just no. I place Zowie next to Roccat in my mental tray of brands; they're "cool" gaming accessories for 13 year old CS gamers. Might be wrong, but I will still refuse to buy any of their products.

Don't think it matters who uses them. Its the guts that matters.  mech boards are mech boards. What you want to look for is the key switch type u want, the looks you prefer, and level of quality of construction you are looking for and of coz the right price. Brand should really be the 2ndary factor to consider(altho it does link to quality and price).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:59:08 »
Quote from: pitashen;304447
Brand should really be the 2ndary factor to consider(altho it does link to quality and price).

That last part is key. I don't trust their products and I don't consider them worth the cost. If someone could convince me that the Zowie Celeritas is a great mechanical keyboard that gives you amazing bang for the buck then I would buy it. One or two people saying they've had no problem with won't convince me.

Offline pitashen

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 15:04:23 »
A lot of those keyboards are from (and even design by) the same OEM if you must know. Every brand has their quality issues, even the Filco could not escape from issues.

Offline digitalleftovers

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 15:06:12 »
Quote from: vun;304427
so if I buy the 104 or 105 blank sets I will have enough to replace the keys on the 88 tenkeyless, or will the spacebar or some other one of a kind key be off size?

I've heard 86 and 87 versions are popular, is there any reason to hunt down one of those instead of the 88 from keyboardco?

If you are using filco replacement keys, then you don't need to worry about the space bar.  If you get the 88 key, then you need to make sure that a replacement set of keys has the correct enter key.  I haven't seen a set of filco blank keys with that vertical (upside down L) enter key that is used on the ISO layout, but I am sure they exist.  If the keyboardCO doesn't stock them, then they should be able to order them for you.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 15:15:49 »
Quote from: pitashen;304454
A lot of those keyboards are from (and even design by) the same OEM if you must know. Every brand has their quality issues, even the Filco could not escape from issues.

Yeah, I'm aware of the fact that the computer world isn't as individual as you'd think and that buying i.e. a Filco won't guarantee you a board without flaws.

I have no problem admitting that this is mostly to satisfy me psychologicaly, I'm not sure if I'd be worse off if I'd gone to the store and bought a SS 6v2 or a BlackWidow. That might've been the case, might not. I don't know. Yet.

Edit: Also, nevermind about the cap replacements, I noticed just now that it said 105/88.
So the difference between the 88 and 87 is the enter key?

Offline theferenc

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 16:36:13 »
And the extra key, usually next to left shift.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 16:45:45 »
Quote from: theferenc;304510
And the extra key, usually next to left shift.

Well, yes. I actually didn't think of that when I wrote that. Mildly embarassing...

Offline digitalleftovers

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 17:49:14 »
Quote from: vun;304463

Edit: Also, nevermind about the cap replacements, I noticed just now that it said 105/88.
So the difference between the 88 and 87 is the enter key?

I'm guessing the 88 has an enter key that looks like the one in this pic.  So, you would need a matching replacement set.
Keyboards:

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 17:53:33 »
Yeah, I found out the 105 key set fits the 88 as well.

Currently got £250 worth of stuff in the cart on keyboardco, considering if it's worth it or not.
I mean, do I really need both blue and brown switches? Probably not, but if I only get one I'll forever wonder if the other would be better.

Offline rustybarnacle

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:02:58 »
Quote from: vun;305210

Currently got £250 worth of stuff in the cart on keyboardco, considering if it's worth it or not.
I mean, do I really need both blue and brown switches? Probably not, but if I only get one I'll forever wonder if the other would be better.

if you're anything like me, your preferences will voice between the two from week to week. So you'll be glad you have them both.

Offline Culinia

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:07:20 »
Quote from: vun;305210

If you want to get a typing keyboard then just get blue. If you don't like it when gaming (imo I think it's fine) then just use the G15 IMO.

Plus, with the saved monies, you can get a really (imo) cool set of doubleshot keys in nordic layout.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:14:51 »
I was thinking about getting the blank key set and see how that works out, I can deal with doubleshots later. Money isn't really a big issue, I just hate spending a lot at once and/or paying more than I really should.

Thing is I'm sort of hoping I can put my G15 away as it's pretty huge and gets in the way when I want to use my tablet.
I'll miss the media controls on it, though.

Offline digitalleftovers

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:19:20 »
Quote from: vun;305221

Get a media remote.  I keep a wireless media keyboard around that I use as a media remote, but I'm considering getting one of the TV style, too (my computer is my TV).  Since my G15 went off my desk, it has never returned...
Keyboards:

Offline Culinia

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:20:52 »
I was thinking about getting the blank key set and see how that works out, I can deal with doubleshots later. Money isn't really a big issue, I just hate spending a lot at once and/or paying more than I really should.

Thing is I'm sort of hoping I can put my G15 away as it's pretty huge and gets in the way when I want to use my tablet.

Sure thing, fair enough.
Don't wanna sound funny/sound rude, but how you gonna work 2 filcos if you do get brown and blue lol, taking them in and out the box sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

You can use programs like auto hot key in windows (not sure about linux/other) and that to remap like function keys for example, so media key loss is really no biggie.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it, you will not regret it. I have the blues and now am hooked.

Quote from: digitalleftovers;305223
Get a media remote.  I keep a wireless media keyboard around that I use as a media remote, but I'm considering getting one of the TV style, too (my computer is my TV).  Since my G15 went off my desk, it has never returned...

That's actually a good idea. Might do it myself one day thanks lol!

Offline rustybarnacle

Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:22:06 »

ever used a griffin powermate?  They take up almost 0 space and are east to set up as a media controller

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Advise on mech keyboard
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 18:27:23 »
Quote from: Culinia;305224
Sure thing, fair enough.
Don't wanna sound funny/sound rude, but how you gonna work 2 filcos if you do get brown and blue lol, taking them in and out the box sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

I've got a pretty big desk so keeping them around won't be much of an issue, especially considering their size. Just need to clean up the desk a bit first.

Quote from: rustybarnacle;305226
ever used a griffin powermate?  They take up almost 0 space and are east to set up as a media controller

I considered something like that. I sort of wondered if a USB minimonitor touchscreen would work, but that'd probably minimise games whenever I touched it.
I'll look into it, thanks.