Author Topic: Cherry Linear Switches  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Zykos

Cherry Linear Switches
« on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 01:03:15 »
Do people usually bottom out on these since there isnt the bump like in browns or blues? How do people know if the key registered or is it just muscle memory?

Offline Kacee

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 01:09:14 »
I don't bottom out on black (most of the time) because the feedback force is great enough to push my fingers back before bottoming out.

I guess it's muscle memory...

Offline ieatfish

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 01:48:31 »
I've had an MX Blue keyboard long enough that when I just recently started using a board with Browns I find I naturally let off before I bottom out are barely bottom out with only a little force.  I would assume coming from a rubber dome or other less precise board I would bottom out practically every time.

Offline godly_music

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:09:25 »
Yerp, I bottom out all the time, using MX Blacks since a few months now. But there's enough resistance that you don't bottom out hard, so it's quiet.

Offline db_Iodine

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:14:59 »
I'm so used to the low force of the browns and blues, that I don't mostly ever bottom out on blacks. I sometimes miss keypresses because I don't push the black switches hard enough, so that's the biggest problem with them for me. It is muscle memory, but I'd say that with linear switches, bottoming out is the way to go.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Zykos

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:34:07 »
im more interested in reds because im wondering if i should buy it.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:43:29 »
Practically no one (in the West) has Cherry Reds because they have exclusive distribution in Asia, along with limited production quantities (uncertain about this but it sure seems so!). Having never tried them, I'd say they're very easy to bottom out on, but that's because of a lower-force spring more than anything else. More people would bottom out on Reds than Blacks, but it all depends on the person and their typing habits whether or not they ever adjust to switches...
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:46:11 by nanu »

Offline db_Iodine

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:43:57 »
If you have both blacks and brown, you can swap the spring from a brown switch to a black stem. This is more or less how a red switch is going to feel. I will be getting the KBC Poker with red switches to try the reds out properly, since it's not too expensive ($90 + shipping).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Findecanor

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 06:19:58 »
I bottom out often, but not always. A lot is muscle memory, I think. I think that I type mostly the same on browns and blacks.
🍉

Offline Shazb0t

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 07:10:59 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;303319
If you have both blacks and brown, you can swap the spring from a brown switch to a black stem. This is more or less how a red switch is going to feel. I will be getting the KBC Poker with red switches to try the reds out properly, since it's not too expensive ($90 + shipping).

Where did you order yours from?
Filco Tenkeyless Linear-R | SS 6Gv2 | Compaq mx11800

Offline db_Iodine

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 07:29:20 »
imsto will be organizing a group buy for them. He will confirm the options of the keyboard as soon as he can, so there's not much info on the details yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline RiGS

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 09:04:15 »
I rarely buttom out on mx blacks. The spring is very smooth so I precisely feel how much force should I apply to activate the switch and it gives just enough resistance to not activate the switch accidentally.
I have also found that the rebounce of the spring is just about perfect.
However holding the keys all the way down for long periods of time can be tiring.
My only concern about cherry mechanical switches are that the slider in them creates friction, so lubing the switch is a good idea.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline steeef

Cherry Linear Switches
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 16:34:21 »
I've only typed on browns, blues, and clears extensively, but I seem to bottom out on everything but clears. The activation force on everything else is just too low.
Cherry MX Blue: Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless. Cherry MX Black: TG3 KBA-BLTD-5RBUVS (Police Cruiser keyboard). Cherry MX Clear: KBC Poker (modded with Ergo Clears) Cherry MX Brown: Goldtouch GTC-077 USB numpad. Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401 (1989-01-03 and 1991-11-21).