Author Topic: Help Identifying a Keyboard  (Read 1876 times)

Offline NeeGo

Help Identifying a Keyboard
« on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 23:57:58 »
[Edit] Nevermind, I searched the second time on Google and results mysteriously showed up.

I just picked up this keyboard with 5-pin plug (was told by the lady that it is MIDI) about an hour ago and I've no idea what brand or model it is. It looks to be a Chicony but here are the pictures:

I'm glad I won't be using the crappy Logitech S-510 keyboard any longer.

Also there's some A X thing in the back. I'm not sure what that's all about but it looks like it's some sort of switch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2011, 00:17:46 by NeeGo »

Offline What is X?

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 00:45:04 »
if the connector is a 5 pin DIN connector you can get an adapter to PS/2. Also if that's the case, the switch on the back is likely an XT-AT switch.

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 01:01:07 »
Quote from: What is X?;303995
if the connector is a 5 pin DIN connector you can get an adapter to PS/2. Also if that's the case, the switch on the back is likely an XT-AT switch.

Would you know by any chance if I would need that one special adapter to connect from PS/2 to USB (after getting the 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adapter, of course)?

Quote from: ripster;303998
Welcome to Geekhack!

Looks to be rubber dome to me.

Look in the wiki for instructions on how to look up the FCC number and the manufacturer.

MIDI?

Thanks for the welcoming. MIDI, I know right? I don't blame her for not knowing but oh well. I'm still scouting the IBM M Model for a cheap price so hopefully I'll stick around.

Offline What is X?

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 05:38:44 »
Quote from: NeeGo;304003
Would you know by any chance if I would need that one special adapter to connect from PS/2 to USB (after getting the 5-pin DIN to PS/2 adapter, of course)?

Sorry, I can't be certain. I'll leave this one to the wisdom of Ripster

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 06:58:00 »
It is a Monterey K208. I have one myself, but in German layout.

It is a "rubber domes" keyboard. Each key cap is snapped to plastic plunger that rests above a dome. The key caps are ALPS-compatible and of the same dimensions as most other ALPS caps.

The connector is an AT DIN connector. You need a cheap adapter to connect it to PS/2. You need also a "active" PS2/USB - adapter to connect it to a computer that has only USB. See the PS2-to-USB adapters wiki.
🍉

Offline NeeGo

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 22:44:03 »
Quote from: Findecanor;304097
It is a Monterey K208. I have one myself, but in German layout.

It is a "rubber domes" keyboard. Each key cap is snapped to plastic plunger that rests above a dome. The key caps are ALPS-compatible and of the same dimensions as most other ALPS caps.

The connector is an AT DIN connector. You need a cheap adapter to connect it to PS/2. You need also a "active" PS2/USB - adapter to connect it to a computer that has only USB. See the PS2-to-USB adapters wiki.

Hey thanks a lot Findecanor! For sure I'll take advice from someone who also owns this very same keyboard. Hopefully I'll like this keyboard more than my Logitech one, in terms of typing, until I get the M.