Author Topic: Old RJ plug keyboard  (Read 2188 times)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Old RJ plug keyboard
« on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 11:11:30 »
I have a keyboard that I salvaged when my grandmother's old computer said farewell, seems to be made by WYSE, late 1980s I think.
It uses a modular RJ plug which I can't say I've seen in any other keyboards. About half the size of a RJ-45 I'd say, maybe a 14 or 11.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hook this up to a modern day computer somehow?

I'll post pics of the plug when I get home, and of the keyboard if anyone's interested.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 11:51:24 »
I know that people have and at some point PS/2 adapters have been made. That's literally all I know about that.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Surly73

Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 11:54:26 »
While I haven't actually done anything with one, it might be a good sign for you if it was indeed connected to a computer and not to a terminal.

See if you can find it's model# in this table, it'll help tell us what you have.

http://www.wyse.com/service/support/kbase/Keydetl1.asp?Q=27&R=3

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 13:20:24 »
Can't find it there, here is what I found when I opened it;
"WYSE TECHNOLOGY
COPYRIGHT 1986
710154-01 REV. A
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED"

Not sure if it was a computer or a terminal actually as it was DOA.
So if it was connected to a terminal it won't work even if I manage to track down an adapter?

Offline Surly73

Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 13:30:00 »
Quote from: vun;304365
Can't find it there, here is what I found when I opened it;
"WYSE TECHNOLOGY
COPYRIGHT 1986
710154-01 REV. A
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED"

What about on the outside.  That could be a subassembly part number which is why you didn't find it in the table.  (just a thought).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 13:46:46 »
There are no markings on the outside with the exception of the WYSE logo.

Also, I'm fairly new to keyboards etc. and haven't done much modding of electrical stuff in general, so I don't know what "tracing ground and power" means, so if you could fill me in that would be grand.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 15:43:07 »
Heh, if you want to really do that, you have quite alot of reading ahead.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 16:22:18 »
DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A PS2 PORT - IT MIGHT FRY YOUR PORT.

Ascaii plugged in one of these into his PC, following my advice to see if its PC compatible. It permanently damaged his PS2 port.I feel terrible since, so I will do everything to protect people from repeating that mistake.

As far as I know, all mechanical WYSE boards are Terminal boards only. They are rather easy to convert though, assuming you already have a custom controller ready. The matrix has been fully mapped out and is already available here. I post it before somewhere in the MOD section.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 16:27:35 »
Quote from: sixty;304503
DO NOT PLUG IT INTO A PS2 PORT - IT MIGHT FRY YOUR PORT.

Ascaii plugged in one of these into his PC, following my advice to see if its PC compatible. It permanently damaged his PS2 port.I feel terrible since, so I will do everything to protect people from repeating that mistake.

As far as I know, all mechanical WYSE boards are Terminal boards only. They are rather easy to convert though, assuming you already have a custom controller ready. The matrix has been fully mapped out and is already available here. I post it before somewhere in the MOD section.

The AIKON controller thingie?

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 16:51:21 »
Quote from: vun;304508
The AIKON controller thingie?

Yeah, there are also a few others that would work. Like hasu's controller.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Old RJ plug keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 17:06:41 »
Alright, I'll see if I can get my hands on one and do something about it. Not sure it it'll ever get done, but it would be neat.