Author Topic: steelseries keyboard = crap  (Read 15858 times)

Offline pm_

steelseries keyboard = crap
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 20:21:17 »
Quote from: canon.tk;304597
You really shouldn't speak for others.  It's all personal preference.  I love Black switches for typing and gaming.  It techincally wasn't the first I tried, browns were first, but that was a friend's board.  After him letting me use it for two days I bought a Filco with blacks and love it.

Most enlightened people will agree blacks are the worst of the three common cherry switches, thus, if a person is buying a cherry based keyboard without trying any, browns or blues are a better choice than blacks and will make a user happy a larger portion of the time.  Can't really argue that one. :)

There's a lot of blacks in "gaming" keyboards because of the misconception that they are better for games, which is simply untrue.  Add in marketing, and you have people that are buying crappy cherry blacks because they have drunk the Kool-aid.

Yes, I agree it's a personal preference, and a small minority will actually like blacks better than the other switches, once having tried them all.

However, blacks are still a bad choice most of the time, especially not having tried other switches, and I recommend against them in this scenario.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 20:32:54 »
Now typing on my MX Blues for the first time ever, I can't help but wonder if I'd enjoy Blacks. The Blues' actuation force doesn't feel significant at all and I've been playing with it for about 9 hours now. Of course, I rather like the clickiness and thunkiness, so I doubt I'd "love" the Blacks, but more force wouldn't really be a turn-off for me.

Except for the spacebar. Man, the side of my thumb is starting to hurt :(
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline pm_

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 21:35:40 »
Quote from: Armando Penblade;304658
Now typing on my MX Blues for the first time ever, I can't help but wonder if I'd enjoy Blacks. The Blues' actuation force doesn't feel significant at all and I've been playing with it for about 9 hours now. Of course, I rather like the clickiness and thunkiness, so I doubt I'd "love" the Blacks, but more force wouldn't really be a turn-off for me.

Except for the spacebar. Man, the side of my thumb is starting to hurt :(

Browns would take less force, blacks more, but there's no feedback with blacks, save for bottoming out.  If you have a Best Buy around, check and see if they carry Steelseries or Razer, as they'll probably have one of the models with blacks.  If it's on shelf, you can go ahead and finger it a bit and see how it feels.  If you like, it, you can get one, if not, you can hop on the hate train. :biggrin:

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 21:38:01 »
Cherry blacks have their uses.  Like seeing how high you can launch jelly beans from your space bar.

But seriously, they're...not for everyone.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 21:38:37 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;304697
Cherry blacks have their uses.  Like seeing how high you can launch jelly beans from your space bar.

I LOLed :D

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 21:51:33 »
My local best buy had. . . a limited selection of keyboards. It was pretty rough, lol.
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 22:03:48 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;304697

But seriously, they're...not for everyone.

This forum needs quote thread...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 10:57:40 »
This will never end :o

I'm joining in and suggesting that you get the cheapest MX-Brown board you find.
That, or get the most overpriced Logitech LCD Keyboard. I heard lots of gamers use these :P
Rumors say those don't have any "lag"!
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Jasonszion

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:06:24 »
Quote from: ripster;304312
Aren't you polite.  Are you German?

Your my hero. :D

Steelseries 6Gv2 (Cherry Blacks) <<<On desk for gaming...
Compaq MX 11800 
DAS old style w/cherry blues

Offline Jasonszion

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:16:03 »
I really do not know what you guys have against Steelseries boards... Cherry blacks have become my switch of choice for gaming... Something about the smooth feel of the blacks are perfect for the FPS games that I play... And I also love the media controls built into it... IDK... But I have to say that I have been extremely satisfied with my 6Gv2 for gaming... But there is no way I would use it for my only board.. When I am not gaming the filco gets slid back out..

Steelseries 6Gv2 (Cherry Blacks) <<<On desk for gaming...
Compaq MX 11800 
DAS old style w/cherry blues

Offline bxt

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:30:37 »
Why dont you go read some reviews about keyboards, rather than asking us what is on pictures. There is no "best" keyboard for gaming.. as you can see for yourself on the pictures you posted - everyone uses different keyboard. It is very subjective. Some of them use standard membrane keyboards, some of them mechanicals.

If you are CS player, blacks are the way to go IMO. For any FPS games, i find them very comfortable. I never tried browns for FPS's though, so i cant really compare.
I dont really like blacks for SC2 - thats why i am considering replacing my 6gv2 with blues/browns.

Dont blame Steelseries, if you dont like MX black switch in general. You should have done your research before buying it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:33:01 by bxt »

Offline zhuak1

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 11:49:11 »
im going for celeritas.

Offline Rairden

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 12:50:25 »
I love the construction and weight of the 6gv2.  Feels more solid and keycaps feel better than my FILCO majestouch brown.  I prefer the filco browns for typing though (80wpm blacks vs 110wpm browns)