Author Topic: OCD getting worse - are my mx blues wonky?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline rustybarnacle

OCD getting worse - are my mx blues wonky?
« on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:42:27 »
The short version:  are mx blues harder to press than i remember?

the long version:

So for those that have been following the saga of my descent into madness, i own a couple of DAS keyboard III's, one printed, one blank, and both using cherry blue switches.  I purchased my first DAS after being dissatisfied with my deck legend toxic w/cherry blacks (which i still have - when i take some photos it'll be up in the classifieds).  Now, obviously coming from black switches, the blues felt fantastic.  But they were loud.  Wife doesn't like loud.  So at home I got an apple aluminium keyboard, and at work used the DAS printed.  Well about two weeks ago i managed to spill a nice full can of non-diet coke on that keyboard.  And i rinsed with with distilled water, rubbing alcohol, did the whole bit.  But it was never quite the same.

So i brought my noisy DAS from home to work today, since my wife hates it (and thus i'm probably buying as many as 3 keyboards in the next 60 days to find the perfect solution for home).  Now previously, dad wanted a keyboard, so I bought for him a DAS S with the brown switches (mostly so I could try it out - yes, I'm a bad son).  He loves it.  I was over there a couple nights ago clacking away on the thing, and it was really pleasant, solidifying for me that my next keyboard will in all likelyhood be a cherry brown board.

So now I have my blank das on my desk.  But as I type on it right now, it still feels slighty...sticky?  This one, as far as I know, has never been spilled on.  Do I have some brain damage from the previous spill afflicted keyboard?  Perhaps my memory isn't that great, but the browns felt like they required less force than these blues.  It's worth noting that this keyboard is at least a few years old, and maybe has a little dust/whatever in it (but i've been really nice to it i swear).  Anyone else get this?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:56:30 »
Browns do require less force than blues. Browns are way too light, if you ask me, but to each their own.

And I could see blues being described as sticky, considering how they are built.

And seriously, just get the 86u or the HHKB. Your fingers and wife will thank you for it.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 11:57:47 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;304963
(...)own couple DAS both using cherry blue switches

Why don't you just put the two you own side by side and see if they feel the same.

Sticky is not how people usually describe the MX Blue.

Do you wash you hands after #1 and #2?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 12:09:17 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;304974
Why don't you just put the two you own side by side and see if they feel the same.

Sticky is not how people usually describe the MX Blue.

Do you wash you hands after #1 and #2?

Now you're just making too much sense.  With the exception of just a few keys on the printed spill victim, yes they feel the same.  And I guess I need a brown board (totally in the works tho - in fact at this rate i'll probably have 3 browns and a topre in the next two months)

And yes I wash my hands.

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 12:11:07 »
Quote from: theferenc;304972
Browns do require less force than blues. Browns are way too light, if you ask me, but to each their own.

And I could see blues being described as sticky, considering how they are built.

And seriously, just get the 86u or the HHKB. Your fingers and wife will thank you for it.

Believe me, i'm getting closer.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 12:40:10 »
Quote from: ripster;304977
Before I showed up here the old timers and Asians said the same thing about Light browns versus Dark brown Cherry MX.

And blue ALPS.

Oh, wait...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 12:56:33 »
If you get a chance, can you re-post that pic you had of the MX SPOS vs. Filco brown stem?  I don't remember what thread it was in.  There was a difference in the size of the tactile bump in the pic.  Now, I'm not saying they do that on purpose.  Coming from the disc golf world, I have found that there are a lot of variations in similar parts made from certain types of plastic due to slight mold variations, cooling environments, humidity, etc. What I am saying, though, is that because of some of these variations, you could have switches from different batches/molds/years/seasons/whatever mold-up a little differently causing slight differences in fell.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 13:00:41 »
It could have something to do with tolerances on the sticky board.

In any case, the key return on the MX Blue, I find, is a bit delayed, due to how it has to come over the full tactile bump on rebound, unlike, say, buckling springs.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 13:09:26 »
Of course, the fun (annoying?) thing with the MX Blue is, there's no hysteresis at all if you hold it RIGHT before it comes back over that tactile bump. Annoying to hold it there, though, without spamming with keystrokes.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 13:17:15 »
Quote from: ripster;305021
Then he bought a Das Cherry Blue.  That pretty much sums up Welly.

Never eard of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"?
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 13:21:45 »
I like how light my Cherry blues are, but I generally don't care for them. I wish buckling springs felt this light, or at least close to it, though.

(Which is why I've got a plate spring board sitting on a FedEx truck somewhere, and if I don't like that, I might check the Model F route out.)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 13:35:14 »
The sad part is, while I've got a beam spring in my avatar, I don't like my beam spring board, feels like too much initial stiffness, and not enough tactility. Then again, maybe if I can get it working, I'll like it more.

(Also, the spacebar is STUPID stiff.)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 14:07:06 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;305029
I like how light my Cherry blues are, but I generally don't care for them. I wish buckling springs felt this light, or at least close to it, though.

While I do think that blues aren't far behind BS, I'd agree in terms of force levels. It wasn't much fun to be stuck with a Model M when the tendons were acting up (I had successfully managed to turn a non-clicky RShift blue switch into a non-working one, and what's a keyboard wihout a working RShift?). Clears weren't any better though. Being back on blues was a big relief.

As far as the Das with spill damage is concerned, I'd suggest popping the affected switches open and cleaning the sliders and relevant plastic surfaces - if the switches weren't plate-mounted. It still isn't entirely impossible but would require desoldering.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 14:09:15 »
I haven't opened up either of my das boards (the deck has been open many times) but according to others they do plate mount the switches.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 14:09:37 »
Well, depending on whether I go to the FedEx depot tonight, tomorrow, or just let them redeliver (hopefully they'll accept a signature to drop it off and run), I'll have plate springs tonight, tomorrow, or Monday, to compare.

Honestly, I think the beam springs aren't bad, and they do act Newtonian - the faster I go on them, the more compliant they feel. (I like to describe Fujitsu Peerless switches as non-Newtonian, due to how they feel so much stiffer at speed - much like how you can walk on a mixture of starch and water, but as soon as you stop, you sink.)

woody

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 14:59:39 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;305046
It wasn't much fun to be stuck with a Model M when the tendons were acting up ... Being back on blues was a big relief.

Same happened to me. I wrote something similar yesterday or thereabout.

It'd be interesting to lessen a bit the spring strength in MX blues as experiment, but I don't have the 1337 skillz to deal with the plate.

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 16:50:48 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;304963

So now I have my blank das on my desk.  But as I type on it right now, it still feels slighty...sticky?  This one, as far as I know, has never been spilled on.  Do I have some brain damage from the previous spill afflicted keyboard?  Perhaps my memory isn't that great, but the browns felt like they required less force than these blues.  It's worth noting that this keyboard is at least a few years old, and maybe has a little dust/whatever in it (but i've been really nice to it i swear).  Anyone else get this?

I have had experience with 4 separate cherry blue boards; I have found switch to switch variability in certain switches.  That is, a single switch may feel wonky for some reason, maybe feel a little scratchy or may not release as well as the other keys.  Sometimes this may be a result of a stabilizer, but other times it's because there is a slight defect with the switch itself.  I usually solve the problem by desoldering the bad switch and trading it with a rarely used key such as scroll lock.

There are occasionally bad cherry MX blue switches.  If the whole board feels sticky well, I don't know whats causing that.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 17:11:07 »
Quote from: elbowglue;305164
I have found switch to switch variability in certain switches.  That is, a single switch may feel wonky for some reason, maybe feel a little scratchy or may not release as well as the other keys.

Do you work for Razer? Apparently they "Cherry" pick their switches one by one before putting them in their boards because of the variability you are describing.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline elbowglue

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 17:46:52 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;305178
Do you work for Razer? Apparently they "Cherry" pick their switches one by one before putting them in their boards because of the variability you are describing.

Heh.  Nope.  But there are bum cherry blue switches out there that find their way into boards.

I think among 500 cherry blue switches I have used, I really disliked one, and I sorta disliked another, so a total of 2 in my opinion that were too annoying to use, and required switching out.
My keyboards: Filco Cherry Blue Tenkeyless(daily home), Compaq MX11800 (modded to blacks), Compaq "MX 84u",  Wellington\'s Dampened Endurapro, Pinkalicious Filco Blue Cherry, Chicony KB-5191, Chicony KB-5181, Desko MOS 5023 UP "elbowglue" spos (modded to blues), Siig Minitouch (monterey blue), SMK-88 (blue cherries), Ricercar SPOS
Smallest to biggest keyboards in inches (Length X Height) - Length is most important for a midline mouse position

KBC Poker: 11.6 x 3.9 - HHKB: 11.6 x 4.3 - Siig Minitouch (Geekhack Space Saver): 11.6 x 6 - Deck/Tg3 82: 12 x 6 - Noppoo Choc Mini 12.4 x 5.3 - Compaq "MX 84u": 13.1 x 7.5 - Filco Tenkeyless: 14 x 5.3 - Cherry "ricercar spos" G86-62410EUAGSA: 14 x 7.75 - Topre Realforce 86u: 14.4 x 6.65 - Desko "elbowglue spos" MOS 5023 UP: 14.5 x 8.4 - IBM Model M Spacesaver: 15.3 x 7 - G80-1800: 15.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-125B: 16 x 7.3 - Compaq Mx11800, Cherry G80-11900: 16.25 x 7.5 - Filco Standard: 17.3 x 5.4 - Unicomp Endurapro: 17.9 x 7.1 - Adesso MKB-135B: 18.3 x 6.0 - Cherry G80-3000: 18.5 x 7.6 - IBM Model M, Unicomp Customizer: 19.3 x 8.27

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 17:51:51 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;305036
The sad part is, while I've got a beam spring in my avatar, I don't like my beam spring board, feels like too much initial stiffness, and not enough tactility. Then again, maybe if I can get it working, I'll like it more.

(Also, the spacebar is STUPID stiff.)

Someone had issue with a stiff spacebar in a beam spring keyboard, which was resolved when they took the whole thing apart and reseated the switch. Though I suspect that like the Model F, they may have taken some steps to make the spacebar deliberately stiffer than the rest of the keys.

As for the tactility, certainly was tactile as hell when I typed on one.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 21:48:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;305208
Someone had issue with a stiff spacebar in a beam spring keyboard, which was resolved when they took the whole thing apart and reseated the switch. Though I suspect that like the Model F, they may have taken some steps to make the spacebar deliberately stiffer than the rest of the keys.

As for the tactility, certainly was tactile as hell when I typed on one.

How did you use one? With an actual computer or...? Just curious because I was under the impression that you couldn't use one with normal computers because their connectors were/are worse than even RJ11 stuff.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 23:43:04 »
You don't have to have it connected to anything to type on it. ;)

Anyway, I've got some ideas for the 5251 board, depending on how the matrix is laid out, involving grafting an XT controller with an inverter between the capacitive decoder chip and the microcontroller onto it.