Author Topic: Bolt Mod and other questions  (Read 1491 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
Bolt Mod and other questions
« on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 20:59:53 »
My one handed bolt mod is complete, and I want to thank you all for your assistance and suppport.  Drilling 50 tiny holes in the plastic plate and reassembling went smoother than I expected.  I ended up using my cordless drill to complete that drilling, the dremmel to slightly hollow out the rivet heads to keep the drill bit from wandering, and my power screwdriver to insert the bolts.  (It worked for me.)  All in all it took about two and a half hours to complete.  I am very happy with the results.  The only thing I did differently is that I put some locktite on the bolts to keep them from working lose later.  I didn't have any trouble with crossthreading either.  It all went rather well.  I was a bit aprehensive about taking all of the layers apart, but I'm so glad I did.  There was something spilled on it some time ago and left a stain on the plastic membrane with the circuit board.  After cleaning gently, it all looks like new inside and out.  In fact, I'm using my M to type this.  

As I stated before, I wonder why IBM didn't plan that part of the keyboard's construction better so that these modifications don't need to be done.  Does Unicomp still manufacture their boards using that system of plastic rivets?

I am still considering the purchase of a Unicomp keyboard, but I am concerned about that phase of assembly.  

Just out of curiosity; what keyboard would you all recomend that would have close to the same feel as the M?  I especially like the weight of my model M because it doesn't move around as much on my desk as I type, so the heavier the better.  I have read threads regarding different switch typs and feel, but after a while it just get's confusing to me.  Is there something that will have the weight of my vintage M and still have the tactile and audio quality?  Remember too, that I am not a touch typist.  I use my hands like a touch typist does, but I still have to kind of watch what I'm doing on the keyboard.  

Thanks again.  You all R O C K ! ! !
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 21:03:07 »
I think something with Blues, no personal touch with them though. For the weight get some lead and bolt it in the case ;D
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 22:13:59 »
Glad to read it went well! There's nothing quite like a freshly bolt modded Model M.

A Unicomp would be the closest in feel and weight. The Customizer is basically a 42H Model M. They even use what used to be Lexmark's equipment, from what I understand.

But, the construction is identical, so it will still have the plastic rivets. I haven't bolt modded mine yet (ordered it in the proper layout), but I will as soon as I lose a rivet.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 07:33:17 »
The Model F would feel similar to a Model M, without needing a bolt mod (which reminds me, I need to open up my 1991 1391401, clean the membrane, and bolt mod it), and it'd be HEAVIER than the M.

AT layout sucks, though, and the Terminal F needs some help to work properly on PCs.