Author Topic: Peerless  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Mr.Zergling

Peerless
« on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 00:37:31 »
So, I've rediscovered my ancient Fujitsu FKB4700.....

I was wondering if these switches actually count as mech, just cause of the rubber domes.

Sure feels alot better than my lycosa, and I'm gonna start using it on my main comp once my AT to PS/2 adapter comes.

Offline Tony

Peerless
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 04:06:05 »
Pull out a keycap, take a close-up picture of the switch under it and show the picture here. Within 10 minutes you will get an answer.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Peerless
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 06:23:59 »
The Fujitsu Peerless mechanism is pretty well documented. A pretty unique contraption. Since most anything that is not a standard rubber dome, flexible silicone, touchscreen or laser keyboards counts as "mechanical" 'round here, I'd guess it also does.

I'd be more interested if they weren't reported to (a) be on the heavy side of things and (b) exhibit problems with RShift once in a while.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Peerless
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 07:36:28 »
Keycap actuates spring, spring actuates plastic cup, cup actuates rubber dome, rubber dome actuates membrane.

The interaction of the cup (with the spring) and dome is what provides the tactility and clickiness.

Offline Mr.Zergling

Peerless
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 08:14:09 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;307508
The Fujitsu Peerless mechanism is pretty well documented. A pretty unique contraption. Since most anything that is not a standard rubber dome, flexible silicone, touchscreen or laser keyboards counts as "mechanical" 'round here, I'd guess it also does.

I'd be more interested if they weren't reported to (a) be on the heavy side of things and (b) exhibit problems with RShift once in a while.

I don't find it to be heavy at all, but that may just be because i have really strong fingers, and its my Lshift that has a problem,.