Author Topic: Can anyone ID these switches?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Howie

Can anyone ID these switches?
« on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 11:51:56 »
Hello there, this is my first post. Been lurking for a while, and then finally decided to join up. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or something.
Anyway, on to my question.

While wating for EK to get Leopolds with ISO layouts out, I remembered this old keyboard we had laying around. I believe it came with my dad's first computer. I figured if i can get ahold of a converter here in Norway I might just try hooking it up to my pc.

Now, I have no Idea what kind of switches these are. Is there anyone who has a clue? The keys are linear, and i forogot to take a pic of this, but inside each keycap there is a spring, that connects to the keycaps and the switch itself. The brand is Multitech.
Some photos:
General layout

Pretty dirty. I guess it has gone for like 20-25 years without being cleaned. Maybe I should try shining it up a little.
(and yeah, that space bar is enormous)
The switches

Keycaps

I'm no master photographer, but i guess these do the job.
Looked through a whole bunch of wikis and stuff, and I've never seen this type of switch before.
Thanks for any help :)

Offline JBert

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 16:07:38 »
I was thinking of some early Keytronic switches, something like an earlier generation of these: http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/kt_e03418.html

I think it would be better if you took a picture of any identifying stickers on the keyboard, especially those on the back or inside of the case.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Howie

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 09:14:03 »
Alright, got a couple more shots. These are all the stickers on the board.

And without the front part of the case on:

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 13:22:41 »
Quote from: Howie;308448
Alright, got a couple more shots. These are all the stickers on the board.
Show Image

And without the front part of the case on:
Show Image

Pics kinda don't show up?

Anyway, looks like a foam and foil capacitive from AT days. Good. Cleaning. Required. (Water and dish cleaner, or denture cleaning tabs for the keys.) DIN plug, I guess? An adapter to PS/2 should sort that out.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Howie

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 15:46:18 »
Hmm, Don't actually don't know what happened to the pictures. I'll try to sort them out soon.
And yeah, DIN plug. Gonna try to find an adapter somewhere here in Norway. The keys actually feel really good, and I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Definitely needs a good clean though. I'll see what I can get done about it.

Thanks for the help!