Author Topic: SIIG vs. ione  (Read 1654 times)

Offline OverZero

SIIG vs. ione
« on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 10:27:45 »
Hey guys,

After a lot of research and time spent on these forums reading reviews and recommendations I'm ready to my first mechanical keyboard! I'm looking on Amazon and I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed it down to the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mechanical-Keyboard-PS2-USB/dp/B000ZD1L14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299687873&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Desktop-Keyboard-Mechanical-Switches/dp/B002NR2NTY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1299687873&sr=8-5

A SIIG and an ione. The prices are very similiar, but I'm not sure if I want the Cherry Blues or the White ALPS. I play a lot of RTS games along with some shooters. I'm not really looking to spend more than 65 or 70 dollars, so if you guys can recommend one over another, or even a different keyboard within that price range let me know!!

Thanks,
OverZero

Offline lzf929

SIIG vs. ione
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 10:48:00 »
within this price range, adesso MKB-135B or Blackwidow are much better than Ione M10....

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
SIIG vs. ione
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 10:48:53 »
My post isn't so much of a recommendation as it is a warning, but that warning comes with a disclaimer.

I've never used or even seen either of the keyboards linked here. The entirety of my modern mechanical keyboard experience is under my hands right now, and I've only had that for a week.

That said, I've read a scary number of quality control complaints about the Scorpius board. It's one of those things that, if you get a good one, you're in great shape as far as low-cost, entry-level keyboards of this sort go. It's not super fancy or loaded with ridiculous, sort of silly extras, but it's a pleasure to type on as much as any Cherry MX Blue board would be. If, however, you get one of the problem boards, you'll have to deal with "sticky" or misaligned keys, malformed plastic on the casing, or unexpected hardware failures very early on in your ownership. I'd carefully check the sellers' return/refund policy, JUST IN CASE.

Like I said, obviously, not everyone (or really, even most people) who gets a Scorpius gets a screwed up kb. . . but enough do that there's easily searchable reviews online about its quality issues, and that made me worry enough to up my spending limit. Luckily I had a bit of good luck money wise that made that possible, otherwise, I might have been a bit more willing to try my luck with an iOne or Adesso board at that price range :)
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline OverZero

SIIG vs. ione
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 11:08:27 »
Thanks for the advice guys!! I think I'm just gonna take the plung and buy a blackwidow. It's the cheapest mech keyboard I can find that doesn't seem to have any major issues or problems.

Offline pitashen

SIIG vs. ione
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 14:49:37 »
pay 20 or30 more fore a Leopold from EK
Brown is a good starter board, especially if you are expecting to game.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline jimmy919

SIIG vs. ione
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 18:27:44 »
I prefer the Cherry Blues - crisp and enjoyable to type with.  I play quite a bit of SC2 and prefer it over all the other switches.  

People have pointed out quality issues on GH with regards to the ione and blackwidow.  If you can pony up a little extra cash, go with a Leopold or Filco.  You may also want to check PCHome and see if you can save on a Ducky or Filco.  

As well... I wasn't a believer before, but the tenkeyless versions are real winners.  Once you drop the numpad, you won't miss it.

Just entered my mind - you can search eBay for the MX-11900 or MX-11800.  Cherry MX Blues or Blacks that should only run $30-$40.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2011, 18:31:02 by jimmy919 »
Currently Using:  Filco MX Blue Tenkeyless with GeekHack Double-shot Keycaps

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
SIIG vs. ione
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 21:41:36 »
I think the SIIG is the ASK-6600U sold under the DSI and Solidtek names, with a different badge; check the 6600 as it can often be had for less.  White ALPS switches.  They're much heavier than the Blue Cherries in the iOne, but much of it is a taste issue.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.