Author Topic: DIY wrist rest?  (Read 16354 times)

Offline Surly73

DIY wrist rest?
« on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 19:23:28 »
I was just wondering what (serious) DIY ideas there are out there for wrist rests.  There's a serious lack of tenkeyless wrist rests out there, especially in Canada, and the missus is pretty crafty.  I could probably make something half decent out of leatherette, foam, padding, batting etc...  if I had more ideas on how to structure it that underneath the top layer so that it doesn't look like a primary school project.

Anything interesting out there?  I'm trying to avoid adding a $70 EK wrist rest to my current financial misery.

Offline RiGS

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 19:26:13 »
Get the ducky wrist rest from PChome.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Surly73

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 19:27:53 »
Quote from: ripster;312953
Nobody every figured out if that Ducky wristrest came from a cow.

Don't they have cows in Asia?

Careful, it might be a sacred wrist rest, depending on the country of origin.  That would probably cost more.

That probably would have been a good thing to include in the PCHome order which got me the keyboard.  D'oh

Do you happen to have a link?  Is it this? http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A50322882&c=A10
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 March 2011, 19:30:34 by Surly73 »

Offline BucklingSpring

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 19:45:20 »
Previously suggested by Ripster - Do it the French way
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Lpb45

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 20:21:28 »
Quote from: ripster;312953
Nobody every figured out if that Ducky wristrest came from a cow.

Don't they have cows in Asia?

They give their cows massages and beer in Japan, Kobe or wagyu beef
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline rustybarnacle

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 21:13:56 »
Best wrist rest I ever used, the imak ergobeads one.  If you're at all handy with a sewing machine, shortening it would be a breeze.

Offline Tony

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 23:09:12 »
I use a DIY wrist rest made from a paper stack and tape. Some creative guys use wool scarf or socks.

In my opinion 70$ is good to spend on another keyboard, not on a nice-looking wrist rest.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline gilgam

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 05:04:17 »
a hand made from a piece of wood.
Very smooth, and not hard at all.

http://deskthority.net/download/file.php?id=311
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline db_Iodine

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 05:11:46 »
I have a DIY wrist rest made from two pieces of memory foam. Works just fine. You could always make it wider and/or a little thinner, but I've learned to like this quite a bit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Surly73

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 06:57:00 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;313003
Best wrist rest I ever used, the imak ergobeads one.  If you're at all handy with a sewing machine, shortening it would be a breeze.

Oddly, what I've been able to find on the ergobeads doesn't look that different from what I'm using now - a fabric tube filled with rice.  My SIL makes all these rice-filled things that you can put in the microwave and heat up for sore back, sinuses, neck pain etc...   I asked her to make me a keyboard/mouse combo because in the middle of winter the glass top on my home office desk can suck away all of your body heat through your wrists in one gaming session :(  

What I don't like is the 1/ lack of structure  2/ sloppy appearance  3/ tendency of the stuffing to migrate all over in the bag  4/ slides around.  Perhaps I should consider a new design where there are pockets in the interior so that the guts can only move so far - the same concept as "quilting"?  If I could make a skin which had non-slip stuff on one side and pocket the interior it might work.  If you used something like lentils instead of rice it might be a dead ringer for "ergobeads"?

This is a home office not a dorm room so I am looking for something on the  scale between "paper and tape" (or a baguette) and the $70 boutique options lol.

Offline Jef

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 08:32:19 »
I don't wrist rests, I use elbow rests. My keyboard is about a foot away from the edge of the table, and my mouse is centered in front of it. The advantage is, keeping my wrist straight, I can swing my forearm through an arc to cover the whole keyboard and use the mouse. It also puts the mouse closer to the 'home' position with a long keyboard. Yes, the mouse axis is on an angle, but you get used to it. Actually, you just stop thinking about it. ;)

Anyway, more on topic, I use typical long foam wrist rests cut on half, and then I drape fabric covered mouse pads over them to reduce the angle of the edges.

Offline RiGS

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 08:34:19 »
You can always fold a nice towel.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 02:02:07 »
I used to have a tubular neck pillow filled with buckwheat husks, you could heat it up. My girlfriend at the time had me use it. She was a modern day hippie, marched to the beat of her own drum, and was sexy as hell.

Anyhow, if the 'bag' had structure, like a flat bottom, I think it could look a lot better.

I'm playing around with memory foam 1/4" thick on a Kinesis Contoured. Basically copy what they already do, just a bit more comfy:
  [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22940[/ATTACH]

If memory foam is good enough for a bra (cloud of boobs) it should be a natural for a keyboard wrist rest....
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22939[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2011, 02:22:09 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline wompwomp

DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 02:17:59 »
Socks!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
DIY wrist rest?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 11:37:20 »
As far as cushioning foam, there is a lot to choose from....
http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=dfjhrz

That doesn't even consider those beautiful wood rests, or gel rests.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~