Author Topic: Yet another noob...  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Unas

Yet another noob...
« on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 01:26:49 »
Hello geekhack,

I've been lurking and reading the forum the past few weeks and thought a thank you and hello was in order :)

If it weren't for you guys I would have never realised that the IBM Model M I found in a dumpster (don't judge me, I was only 11 and the clickiness of the keys felt great I just had to take it home :P) was a mechanical keyboard. After using the Model M for a couple of years I eventually had to go for something new and shiny and companies like Microsoft & Logitech with their marketing can easily convince naive individuals like myself that membrane, ergonomic, keyboards are better. The horror! I'm not embarrassed to admit I only realised what a treasure I used to own when the Razer Blackwidow was released (had to look up what mechanical keyboards are)

...And here we are :) I purchased the Black Widow Ultimate about three weeks ago because I couldn't find any other decent and available mechanical keyboard on the market (located in Toronto, Canada atm) and tbh I wasn't very eager to wait up for elitekeyboards for the Leopolds. Nerds will be nerds, I just needed my gadget-fix :P

I'll have to admit my experience with the Cherry MX blues wasn't that pleasant. I don't know if it was Razer or just the switches. The board seemed too fragile, every key trembled upon every touch and especially the spacebar felt like it was about to come off every time I clicked it :P I didn't enjoy the tactile feedback either but I've got to say that the clicky sound of each key was an eargasm. The font is just too trendy for my taste and the backlit keys even though they looked great for a picture I just don't care for them, I find them too distracting.

A side note here, I'm not hating Razer, on the contrary products like The Naga, the Carcharias and the Mamba have served me great for all purposes I just think keyboards aren't their forte.

A week later I returned the keyboard and exchanged it for the Steelseries 6GV2. Oh man, I can't describe how much I'm liking the Cherry MX Black switch so far. They feel so sturdy, so elegant to touch and even though I read about a lot of people expressing their hate and frustration on how tiresome it is to write on Blacks I can't help but disagree :) Black switches are also great for newbies like myself to help learn how not to bottom out the keys. In my case the transition from scissor switches to the blacks boosted my wpm from ~75 to 85-90.

Apart from the switch what I like about the 6GV2 is that it feels sturdy but definitely has its flaws. So far I'm not liking the layout which eventually I will get used to but the weird placement of the "/ ? " key makes no sense and is a source for a lot of mistakes. Not a huge fan of the bigass enter either. The left Shift even though being as responsive as the other keys the tactile feedback is different in a non pleasant way (not sure if this is intentional) and the spacebar is jiggly on the left but tight on the right (I wish it was the other way or at least equally tight on both sides)

As you can probably imagine I'm definitely researching for my next purchase. I think I will stick to the black switch which I'm loving so far. Any suggestions? Full-size or tenkeyless is not an issue, I'd prefer a board without backlit keys (or at least an option to turn the lights off), something really sturdy that will endure an attack like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7FZnV-joeA&feature=player_detailpage#t=153s and have a solid all around feel... I will be using it mostly for WOW and some typing. Am I asking for too much? :P

Whoa this started as a hello and thank you post and turned into one long boring rant, sorry about this.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
Yet another noob...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 02:00:29 »
You mention several times how much key-feel and sturdiness matters to you and I can't help but think that either a well-made Filco or Leopold might work out for you. I'm typing on a fantastically put together Filco Majestouch right now, and although you might not love the MX Blue switches I've got in mine, the board itself is extremely heavy and solid-feeling. Yes, if I put a finger over a key and consciously try to wiggle it, it's got a bit of room to move, but that's mostly because it's suspended on a 2mm stem and has room on the sides between the other keys.

Generally, though, the board is very well-made. The space bar is just about the most stable and even I've ever experienced and everything from the stabilizers to the cord feel solid and dependable.

Of course, it's generally accepted that the Filco brand didn't put all this together on their own. The guy(s?) at EliteKeyboards.com spent months sifting through stock to ensure that only the absolute best boards made it to customers, and moreover, they constantly pressured Diatec to up the quality of their components and manufacturing process. Now that EK is out of the picture, there isn't necessarily someone doing that anymore, but we do still get to reap the benefits of whatever changes they might have brought about at Diatec corporate headquarters ;)

What's good for you, though, is that EK has now partnered up with a Taiwanese firm to bring us Leopold keyboards, which were designed by the same very talented gentlemen as the Filco kb's that we all know and love. With his design principles and EK's dedication to ensuring every single keyboard they deploy is of the absolute highest caliber, I can't help but imagine that whatever you purchase from them will be top notch.

As you don't like the tactility of blues, I might suggest the browns, which are less tactile (but, sadly, also less noisy). Of course, if you already like blacks, there's no reason to leave them behind, but just in case you think they might just be too heavy, the reds will be an option too, eventually. Fullsize boards are quite a ways out, but preorders for the tenkeyless are up now and will start shipping in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

That's just my personal experience with these models and I'm sure other people will have lots of suggestions, but if you know what switch and feel you like and want quality, solidity, and dependability, then a well-made Filco or new Leopold would almost certainly be right up your alley :)
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline Lpb45

Yet another noob...
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 12:05:13 »
According to Burce at Keyboardco. the full size reds are already at Amazon they are just waiting on them to post em.  The keys on Filco's do tend to wiggle a little bit especially my spacebar, this may be differant from board to board but both I have do it.  So be warned, you may want to look into a Topre aswell but the variable key weighting might not be your thing.
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline Mr. Perfect

Yet another noob...
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 12:21:07 »
Hmm, another childhood Model M user. Think we should tell him about the Unicomps, or will he just start collecting keyboards?
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline RiGS

Yet another noob...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:14:45 »
Quote from: Unas;313109

A week later I returned the keyboard and exchanged it for the Steelseries 6GV2. Oh man, I can't describe how much I'm liking the Cherry MX Black switch so far. They feel so sturdy, so elegant to touch and even though I read about a lot of people expressing their hate and frustration on how tiresome it is to write on Blacks I can't help but disagree :) Black switches are also great for newbies like myself to help learn how not to bottom out the keys. In my case the transition from scissor switches to the blacks boosted my wpm from ~75 to 85-90.

Apart from the switch what I like about the 6GV2 is that it feels sturdy but definitely has its flaws. So far I'm not liking the layout which eventually I will get used to but the weird placement of the "/ ? " key makes no sense and is a source for a lot of mistakes. Not a huge fan of the bigass enter either. The left Shift even though being as responsive as the other keys the tactile feedback is different in a non pleasant way (not sure if this is intentional) and the spacebar is jiggly on the left but tight on the right (I wish it was the other way or at least equally tight on both sides)

As you can probably imagine I'm definitely researching for my next purchase. I think I will stick to the black switch which I'm loving so far. Any suggestions? Full-size or tenkeyless is not an issue, I'd prefer a board without backlit keys (or at least an option to turn the lights off), something really sturdy that will endure an attack like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7FZnV-joeA&feature=player_detailpage#t=153s and have a solid all around feel... I will be using it mostly for WOW and some typing. Am I asking for too much? :P

Whoa this started as a hello and thank you post and turned into one long boring rant, sorry about this.

I had the same problem with the spacebar, it was easy to fix.
Just remove it, put it back at the rattly side, then apply a little pressure slowly on the other side.
The BigAss enter is awesome, you should trust me on that, however it takes some time to get comfortable using the left shift.
I like the Steelseries over my Realforce for gaming.
You probably don't like the feel of the cherry stabilizer under the left shift, so avoid getting a Leopold at all cost.
Get this Filco instead!
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2011, 15:34:29 by RiGS »
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline BucklingSpring

Yet another noob...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 15:02:01 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;313337
Hmm, another childhood Model M user. Think we should tell him about the Unicomps, or will he just start collecting keyboards?

Agree!!! Unicomp is as M as it can get.

If you don't mind the large footprint... Go for Unicomp!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Unas

Yet another noob...
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 02:08:40 »
Thanks a lot for your fantastic replies guys :)

@Armando Penblade, Thanks for taking the time to explain your views on the subject thoroughly! You make Filcos sound irresistible! I'm definitely going to try one and following RiGS suggestion I'm definitely going for the Filco with Cherry MX Blacks.

@Lpb45, I think the reds are going to be way too soft for my liking. I wish there was a store in Toronto where I could try the different switches. I think I'm going to stick with blacks for now but I will eventually buy one with reds and try it out.

@Mr. Perfect, wow these look amazing! Bye bye paycheck :( I guess in a couple of weeks I'm going for a Filco and one of those. Damn you shouldn't have done that tehehe.

@RiGS, You just made my day! Filco with Cherry MX Blacks! I have to buy that. I'll contact Shazb0t and check if this board is still available. After this post I'm also going to try the spacebar fix and see if your suggestion does the trick.

@BucklingSpring, You had me at M :P

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Yet another noob...
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 02:23:54 »
Course, you could just go for an oldschool model M as well. They aren't exactly hard to find. (typing this on mine)
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)