Author Topic: Trouble with KVM w/ Noppoo choc mini  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Cavedog

Trouble with KVM w/ Noppoo choc mini
« on: Fri, 18 March 2011, 16:13:47 »
I recently bought a Noppoo Choc mini (and really like it). I tried to use it with a KVM and was having trouble with it. If I plug in the kb to each computer by itself, all is good. I hook up the KVM and strange things happen. The keys send different keystrokes. The "N" sends "3". Consistently. I've never heard of this. I've tried 2 different KVMs from diff manufactures same behavior.

Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

Offline Evil_Spork

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 02:16:40 »
The Choc Mini is able to achieve NKRO via USB by making itself a "compound usb device" within windows. It is not a single keyboard, but instead several keyboards, and this can cause problems with some computers or setups. This is also why they don't work on Macs. (I think)

Plug it into a computer directly and take a look at device manager. You'll notice at least two input devices.
Noppoo Choc Mini "Tea Axis"/MX Brown
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - SOLD!
Filco Majestouch-2 Linear R Limited Edition Tenkeyless with MX Red

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 20:05:03 »
Evil Spork probably has the explanation there, but I figured I'd this ask anyhow. Are the KVMs USB or PS2? It is said that PS2 KVMs don't like having a USB keyboard plugged into them with on of those little USB to PS2 converters.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Cavedog

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 12:23:56 »
I did see two keyboard devices. I scratched my head and forgot about it.  I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for the info. I guess there's nothing for it? Soon I will have no internet on my work computer, with internet on another machine (I love working for the US government). A kvm would be really nice.

I read something about using a USB hub in the kvm instead of a keyboard. Maybe I will experiment. At least I know what is happening.

Thanks again.

Offline Cavedog

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 13:00:34 »
kvm is usb. but thanks anyway.