Author Topic: USB G81-7000, anyone have a spare MY switch?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline kw71

USB G81-7000, anyone have a spare MY switch?
« on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 01:38:37 »
I got some black G81-7000 labeled G81-7920.  I thought I would try both the MY mechanism and the compact layout.

I'm not sure I like the MY mechanism all that well.  A few years ago I switched to cherry MX from the "quiet" rubber model M's.  I use the clears and browns often and can get used to blacks.  The MY takes a different style of typing, with more deliberate aim, to use reasonably.  The MX and quiet M don't seem to be as particular about your keystroke mechanics.  

I'm also used to some kind of tactile feel in the mechanism, and when I'm using black MX I tend to bottom them out which is rather easy.  The MY takes a lot more force to bottom and I'm missing keystrokes because I don't know where the actuation point is and don't want to hurt my hands by banging every key to the bottom.

One of the boards arrived with a broken key so I got a chance to take it apart.  My brown and clear boards are G80-8200 and G80-3000.  None of them have plates and now I see why those who prefer the metal plates do.  It makes the keyboard very heavy and will not slide around on the desk as much.

The MY mechanisms are held into the plate using an expanding rivet kind of device.  To release the switch from the plate you must push the center dowels out of each rivet.  I used a dental pick for this and did this from the top.  The little plastic dowels easily reinsert from the top.  Get them started before replacing the switch on the plate, and once it's in position, push them down to expand the rivet.

My G80-8200 is a MultiBoard V1 and as such can be programmed with Cherry Tools to redefine keys and program macros.  I don't know if this keyboard is the MultiBoard V2 or not, it has a much smaller (simpler) controller inside than the 8200 and does not have any hardware macro support.  There is a pair of USB-A ports installed on the control board but there is no cutout provided in the keyboard housing to allow access to these ports.  It looks like the mag stripe reader appears as a separate USB device in this model and there is no way to have the card data come out as keypresses the way the older PS2 models do.  Also, the keyboard firmware and country tables cannot be updated.

The keycaps are a tight fit on the MY switches.  I'm going to try to use a dremel to remove some of the broken stem material from the keycap, maybe I can dig it out and reuse it.  I still need a silder, though, did any of you scrap any MY boards & willing to sell/trade me a switch?

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:59:28 »
ill send you an entire g81-3000 for the price of shipping +one or two euro. Where do you live?
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline kw71

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 05:52:23 »
Ascaii, thanks for the offer, but I'm in the united states and I think the complete kb is too heavy to make this economical.  Someone may have me covered, I'll post in the classifieds if it doesn't work out.

Offline kw71

How to R&R MY
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 06:06:36 »
Here are some photos to illustrate how the MY switch is held onto the plate, and how to remove and reinstall it.  A rather cursory search didn't turn up anything.

Here an installed switch is shown next to a vacant switch position.  There are two rivets that are part of each switch base.  They fit into the holes on the metal base plate and secure the switch to the plate.

You can't see it in this photo, but there is a small plastic dowel pin, in each rivet, which must be removed to release the switch.  The dowel is about the size of a cupcake sprinkle.  It is very simple to use a dental pick to push the pin all the way through from the top.  Catch the dowel as it falls from the bottom.

To prepare for reinstallation, push the tip of the dowel into the base.  The dowel can actually protrude beyond the bottom of the base a little without expanding the rivet any.  Prepared this way, it is very easy to position the switch and push the dowel in.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 09:39:33 »
Linked your last post in the Cherry switch wiki if you don't mind.

Yeah, I've been saying that if the Cherry folks bothered to redesign the mechanism for some decent feel, they could have a winner there.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kw71

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 16:11:12 »
I was wondering how to buy springs and where to buy them.

I can already tell that taking the springs out will not suit my tastes.

Perhaps there are springs around that are dimensionally close enough but only demand 30% or 50% of the force of the original spring in this application?

If I could buy them in bags of 100 or 1000, shouldn't it be cheap enough to try, if I only knew how to buy springs?