Author Topic: Learning Multiple Layouts Confuse Minds  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Popkeymon

Learning Multiple Layouts Confuse Minds
« on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 08:32:24 »
I have been using the Qwerty layout for more than 15+ years before I learn the Dvorak (two handed) layout. I did not learn the qwerty by the standard touch typing training but simply mixing the touch type and hunt and peck approach with the most comfort way that I believe never comply with the standard touch typing method.

I decided to abandon the qwerty layout and learn to adapt to the Dvorak layout months ago. After several months of severe training,  I found that I have completely forgotten the qwerty and being unable to type the qwerty layout without looking at it!

Recently, I have been learning the Dvorak Lefty layout and repeat the same touch typing training for acquiring the layout. I found that the new layout does interfere my ability to touch type with the DSK (two handed layout) although they are being used day by day with different posture and key arrangement. My error ratio on the DSK (two hand) has increased  and I some time confuse about which layout I am currently typing with.

Offline Kacee

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 March 2011, 07:16:45 »
I can understand the switch from qwerty to dvorak, but why would you want to learn lefty dvorak in additional to the 'official' layout? I believe that you have both hands fully functional, no?

Offline Proword

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 02:43:13 »
Firstly, with true touch typing, the "mind" doesn't come into it much.  It's a physical skill.

If you are using the same keyboard (ie "flat") to type with a different layout (eg QWERTY vs Dvorak) then I can understand the difficulty in learning.

But if you use different topography keyboards, say flat versus Maltron 3D (or Kinesis), then that should really ease your difficulty.

I learned QWERTY in 1967, then changed to Maltron in 1986, using the Malt layout (as opposed to the QWERTY option available - keystroke switchable), and for about 5 years after I "hit my straps" with the Maltron (ie over 65 wpm) I could still do 55 wpm with the QWERTY.  Even now, I can still "touch type" with a flat QWERTY keyboard, so I never really lost my QWERTY ability, it's gotten very rusty.  However, if I flip the switch and bring in the QWERTY option on the Maltron keyboard, I'm absolutely lost.

I've noticed it with music.  I go to symphony orchestra concerts and see some of the muso's play more than one instrument (particularly percussion, xylophone, drums, triangle, etc).  Myself I play about 8 different instruments, and even when playing the same piece of music I have no difficulty.  Except if I for example retune my guitar so it's in the same tuning as a mandolin (but an octave lower), then that can cause problems.  I think this would be the same as using a flat keyboard with two different key layouts.

I've bought myself a pair of Maltron single hand keyboard, and am now teaching myself how to type one handed.  Since I don't NEED to type with only hand, there's no urgency with it, but it seems like it's fairly "do-able".  I reached about 12 wpm (using shorthand) after about an hour and a half practice.  But again, that single hand keyboard is absolutely nothing like either the flat QWERTY keyboard or the Maltron 3D dual.

Joe
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 March 2011, 02:45:54 by Proword »
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.