Author Topic: Small/Tenkeyless Cherry MX brown keyboards?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline notnay

Small/Tenkeyless Cherry MX brown keyboards?
« on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:04:09 »
Hello all, long, LONG time lurker. A lot of the resources here have helped me pick out my first mechanical keyboard (blackwidow) and now I'm looking for a second fix.

I think a smaller board would be nicer to own. I'm looking at the leopolds, if they are actually planning on shipping them since I'm too anal to just pre-oder them. However, I would prefer a cheaper option if possible. After much web hunting I found this on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823333019

This doesn't appear to be that bad of a board since I trust cherry after reading many a review of their keyboards, but I'm curious about any other recommendations from the community. If anyone knows of a fairly priced keyboard that really stands out to them, or has anymore information about my current finding (like the switch type, which for some reason isn't shown on the product page) please let me know.

Thanks for the help ♥

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:07:23 »
Welcome to GeekHack! I'm pretty sure that keyboard has ML switches (not MX). You probably wouldn't like it. I would go for a Leopold.

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:10:01 »
Welcome to GeekHack!
The Cherry G84 series has ML switches, not MX just to let you know.
I would recommend pre-ordering a Leopold instead since those have Cherry MX switches.

Edit: I'm way slow
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:10:39 »
Is there an echo in here?

Offline Saffa

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:17:40 »
Is there an echo in here?

>.>
<.<

but yeah, go fullsized for sure!

Offline notnay

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:27:15 »
Quote from: ripster;316383
Welcome to Geekhack!  There's a review of that keyboard in the "Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide", stickied above.

Well, I feel a little ridiculous for missing that. I thought I had checked here first before google-ing other reviews for them, thanks for that.

Well, that eliminates that option, cherry switches seem nice, and not to discriminate against the other types, but they have my attention at the moment.

I like the leopolds, and they look pretty cool, if it comes down to it I will order one of those. However I was looking for something smaller (e.g. HHKB style) for a bit cheaper than an actual HHKB. The deck board looked kind of nice, but I'm not a fan of lighting (makes me feel like I'm at a rave that skimped on their lighting system, so to speak). Choc mini's looked also nice, but I couldn't find those anywhere, so if anyone has any more suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

:hail:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:32:19 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:34:48 by keyboardlover »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 20:34:02 »
poker or noppoo
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 21:06:17 »
Welcome to Geekhaack! I would recommend preordering a Leopol d from Elitekeyboards or a KBC poker from here.

echoooooooooooooo

Offline Parallaxis

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:08:52 »
Quote from: notnay;316404
Choc mini's looked also nice, but I couldn't find those anywhere, so if anyone has any more suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

:hail:

There's a thread here looking to put a group buy together for the choc-mini you might want to take a look at.  I think he was going to try and start it around the end of this month since there's quite a few people interested.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 23:15:34 »
Quote from: ripster;316387
It's also a 86% size keyboard.  I find 92% my limit.

ML4100 measures 7 inches across 10 keys, versus 7.5 for full-size. How do you work out your percentages?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 09:15:55 »
Ahh, that explains why I wasn't getting 86%! Yeah, it does have much smaller capslock and enter keys - I don't mind them too much, but the tiny tab key is a bit annoying.