Author Topic: Cherry MX Clears, and Blues?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
Cherry MX Clears, and Blues?
« on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:12:47 »
Hi all, prospecting mechanical keyboard user here. I am looking for a keyboard that is mainly used for typing.

I previously tried a Ducky 1008 Brown for a few days. I could somewhat feel the tactile bump on the Browns, but found it unsatisfying thus sold it off. I read Cherry Mx Blues are good, but the fact that it is clicky really bugs me. Not to the extent that it is a deal breaker, but really, how loud do they sound in real life? I watched some youtube videos comparing browns and blues, and the clickyness is not that bad, but I would like to go for something more tactile, but less noise.

Thus we arrive at the Clears. I read they are a more tactile brown, and they are stiffer on the key presses. Can anyone tell me more about how does a clear feel compared to the other 2 switches?

I live in Asia, so the real option for a MX clear is via the PCHOME website. And as a student, 20 USD between the Cherry Keyboard and some cheaper  blues does make some difference in my place.

EDIT: From the Chinese Message boards that I have come across, they mentioned that Clears are even stiffer than Blacks. Anyone want to comment on that?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:22:44 by kaiserreich »

Offline marvkip

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:18:24 »
where in Asia do you live?

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:21:56 »
Quote from: marvkip;316475
where in Asia do you live?

South East Asia

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:31:48 »
Clears are 55g while Blacks are 60g. I didn't really like Clears, but I like Blacks.
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 22:54:58 »
If you're interested, I posted up my humble mini review on all of the MX switches in the thread with the STN. Plenty of other people have too, so maybe browse through that thread.

Long story short: Blues have a more noticeable tactile point then browns and didn't annoy me with the sound. Clears have the tactile bump to rule them all, so I've got a board with them in the mail.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 13:58:17 »
Quote from: Orphagn;316480
Clears are 55g while Blacks are 60g. I didn't really like Clears, but I like Blacks.

How would you describe the difference between the blacks and clears?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 14:20:35 »
The Clears I tried on a G80-8113 felt like heavy Browns, though I think the board I got was used quite a bit since I didn't really feel the tactile point that much. Blacks are like heavy Reds, and i've taken a liking to them again quite recently. Clears are supposed to be 55G and Blacks are 60G, but I could hardly tell the difference. Ultimately, I prefer Linear feel over Tactile since I mainly play FPS. I can't comment on how Blacks and Clears compare to a BS board as I have not tried one yet.
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline RiGS

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 14:35:38 »
Afaik the tactile point in the clear switch is supposed to match the activation point.
You also mentioned that you did not buttom out on blacks.
That's why I thought you would like the clears, since they have about the same stiffness, and a they give you a good feedback on activation.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 14:45:06 »
I thought I would like the clears, but that little bump bugged me. On my Noppoo with Browns I typed pretty hard so I wouldn't feel the bump, but since the Clears were harder to press, I would feel that tiny bump and it bugged me. I sold the 8113 after 3 days of having it, so I just have my 11900 and my 3494 with me since my GF has my Noppoo.
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494