Author Topic: Which switch first? Need your help plz.  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Engine

Which switch first? Need your help plz.
« on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:12:50 »
I would like your experience on this one please.  Here's the deal.
I'm getting a variety of switches to compare for myself and my wife and mom.
I know by now that I favor mucho tactility/clack but my "comparison" question is really for my wife and mom because they've never owned mechanicals before and neither they or I know what they'll like.

My wife is accustomed to using rubber domes for many years, while my mom isn't accustomed to anything anymore, since the Selectric days of the '60s.
I must note that my mom is not a trivialist and wouldn't go for the Unicomp just because of it's reminiscence.  She would simply have to like it.
My wife is willing to try the different switches, as is my mom but like my mom, isn't sure what she'll like really.

All that said, if I want them to get a fair trial of these different switches/boards, then how would you propose I do it?
I was thinking of which order maybe?  From light to heavy or visa versa or something?  For example, the BS, then Blues, then Browns, then Realforce(variable)?  I don't know.  I just want them to try everything in the most logical way to experience all fairly.

Here's my switches I have or have coming soon for the "trial" run.
Please suggest others not on my list if you feel strongly for that switch.
The variety I have or have coming so far is:
1. Unicomp Space Saver
2. Realforce 103U-UW(variable)
3. Leopold Blue
4. Leopold Brown
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline Saffa

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:23:00 »
Doesn't SirClickAlot have several modded trial switch boards circulating around? I think they're just numpad(s) with all the different mx switches modded to the different rows. Not really ideal for getting a feel typing, but it would definitely help.

Not sure how long the wait is on that is though...

Other than that, I can't really help as I don't yet own a mechanical keyboard and have only once typed on one :(

Anyway, good luck on finding the perfect keyboard for your wife and mother!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:28:17 »
I would wait for the Leopold with reds. That's definitely worth trying.

Offline Engine

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:32:14 »
Will there be a Leo with Reds???  Maybe a part of the "second batch" of Leos?
I was wondering if I should have Reds to represent the "linear" catagory.  I'm expecting the GH Leo to come w/Clears if it's born.
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:34:35 »
I think (hope?) that we'll see the Leo with reds *eventually* ;)

Offline Shuki

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:37:42 »
My personal three favourite are Browns, reds and Topre switches (not necessarily in that order), if you add blues into the mixer you've got a nice varying range from Tactile/Clicky to Linear.

I would recommend getting a uniform weighted Topre though!

Offline lootbag

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 20:49:27 »
I think you have a good amount of keyboards to try.
More than enough to keep you busy haha.

I've tried Buckling Springs, Topre variable, Topre 45g, Topre 55g, MX Blue, MX Brown, MX Clear, MX Red.

Haven't tried MX Black. I really should... especially the pre-1995 ones.
sixty says they are bomb.

My top 3 are: Topre 55g, MX Red, Buckling Springs.

Offline Engine

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 22:30:25 »
I see some linear fans here.  I may be dealing w/that in my wife and mom but want to get them at least exposed to tactile/clack too.  A well rounded test.  I see too that lootbag has a mixed bag of switches too.  Interesting.  I want to try quite a few really but think I'll be in the tack and clack catagory.
What I was wondering though was what order would you suggest I have the women trial these switches?  Also, which ones if you don't see one you prefer for this.  KL has me thinking of Reds for one.  But again, which switches and in what order?  Use my existing list or make one up.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2011, 22:54:18 by Engine »
In order of purchase:

Offline Engine

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 23:29:11 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;317285
I would wait for the Leopold with reds. That's definitely worth trying.

What do you like about "Reds"?  I only know they're "linear", with virtually no feedback?  Why do you like them?
In order of purchase:

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 23:41:02 »
Quote from: Saffa;317282
Doesn't SirClickAlot have several modded trial switch boards circulating around? I think they're just numpad(s) with all the different mx switches modded to the different rows. Not really ideal for getting a feel typing, but it would definitely help.

Not sure how long the wait is on that is though...

Seconded! SirClickAlot has quite a few test items floating around this board, including Topre, Cherry MX, and Alps switches. There's a bit of a wait for them, but after trying one of his projects I'd say the first hand experience is invaluable. I found that other people's preferences didn't really line up with my own, which could have gotten expensive if I had instead bought boards for testing.
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 08:43:47 »
Quote from: Engine;317403
What do you like about "Reds"?  I only know they're "linear", with virtually no feedback?  Why do you like them?

I like that they're quiet and easy to type on and since I often bottom out when I type, I get tactile feedback from bottoming out reds.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 08:52:33 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;317592
I like that they're quiet and easy to type on and since I often bottom out when I type, I get tactile feedback from bottoming out reds.

its like a cooler cherry brown
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline pitashen

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 15:32:14 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;317290
I think (hope?) that we'll see the Leo with reds *eventually* ;)

I don't see why not. Even ducky is rumored to get red switch boards.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline pitashen

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 15:35:55 »
Give them Browns and call it a day to save the trouble. When people are given with choices (especially when too many), they tend to be unhappy with whatever they pick because they would always feel there's gotta be better choices out there.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Engine

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 16:42:08 »
Well, how about this.  Can you recommend  two or three switches for a balanced comparison?   As before mentioned, I want to keep it simple and not overwhelm, so a two or three top choices may be the ticket here.  Or what ever you think may be best.  Like I said, I'm coming to you guys for your experience because I'm dealing w/people that are either coming from rubber dome or "Selectric" and had no previous knowledge of "mechanicals".  I have one shot w/these boards.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2011, 17:13:53 by Engine »
In order of purchase:

Offline Engine

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 20:12:29 »
Quote from: Engine;317276

Here's my switches I have or have coming soon for the "trial" run.
Please suggest others not on my list if you feel strongly for that switch.
The variety I have or have coming so far is:
1. Unicomp Space Saver
2. Realforce 103U-UW(variable)
3. Leopold Blue
4. Leopold Brown

Sorry for the long posts on this but I think I have it down to just this question.  Would you recommend your top choice to give to someone not aquainted to mechies or what they will like?
If you choice is on my list, great, if not, please list it.  Thanks.
In order of purchase:

Offline RiGS

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 20:21:43 »
Quote from: ripster;318655
My favs are prioritized in my sig.  And I don't recommend any to my Mom.

That would be weird.

I don't see your new filco listed in your signature.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Engine

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 20:25:47 »
Ripster,
I'm not picking up what you're putting down but anyhow, I'm just asking for what people think that I should give to people that don't know mechies.  I've been told so far, Reds; Browns; and a nice mix of Reds/Blues/Browns/Topre(uniform).  I thought asking for a mix might be cumbersome, so I boiled it down to a "single" choice.
Thanks to all who chimed in.  This has really helped a lot!  It's put things into perspective for me.  I appreciate it!
As far as my mom is concerned, I'm going to just bring over my whole bag of boards and let her try 'em all.  I'm not going to say much, just let her fingers tell her what she likes.
As for my wife, I'm lettting her try any new board that comes in and get a reaction.  I'm not even recommending at this point.  Just letting her decide for what ever reason.
If for what ever reason, I don't have a "winner" or just have to choose for them, then I'll probably go with Reds/Topre or Browns.
I'll avoid "clicky" switches and just base my range from linear(Reds) to tactile "feel", like the Topre/Browns.  Anyone concur/not?
Otherwise, can someone recommend wether or not I should get a Filco Red from KBC Amazon or wait on a Leopold Red to come out?
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2011, 20:37:54 by Engine »
In order of purchase: