Author Topic: Weird Graphics problem  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Aseral

Weird Graphics problem
« on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 06:34:26 »
Hello everyone! I recently got a new computer with an ATI 5870 GPU from Asus. Thing is, along with the computer I also bought a Monitor(Samsung SyncMaster P2470LHD) without noticing it didnt have a DVI input for PC, only VGA. After being annoyed by that I realized it had 2x HDMI inputs so I bought an HDMI-to-HDMI cable and a DVI-to-HDMI cable.

I tried bothe cables and everytime I put it to max resolution(1920x1080) graphics became REALLY weird, messy and a bit blurry. Then I tried using a DVI-to-VGA cable and everything worked perfect on highest resolution. I still need to get it to work through digital signal though for obvious reasons. Any ideas on what I should try doing?

Offline Arc'xer

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 07:42:13 »
This is gonna sound extreme. But you should sell that monitor off and get yourself a real monitor.

Why? because it's a monitor-TV and all it's inputs are television standards with connectivity for HTPC capacity; hell it even has a tv tuner. This blogger has a similar negative image quality issue occurring.

Offline instantkamera

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 07:49:40 »
agreed.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Twitchy

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 07:56:53 »
In case you miss it, this part of the blog entry that Arc'xer links to seems pertinent:

After changing every setting, convincing myself the the monitor was in some special store display mode and some of the settings had been locked down and searching the internet for answers I finally came across an AVForums.com thread for the Samsung SyncMaster P2470LD about changing the names of the ports on the source list.

This seemingly cosmetic change actually makes all the difference as adding the name “PC” to the HDMI1 and HDMI2 ports changes how the signal is processed.

Seems like a ridiculous way of doing things if you ask me, but then my iiyama monitor isn't much more logical.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2011, 08:00:20 by Twitchy »
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline instantkamera

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 08:03:28 »
it's pretty common that changing the label on a TV input will do that. Namely, reducing input lag (by disabling/reducing processing).
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline Twitchy

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 08:05:46 »
Ah, I didn't know that. :)
Stuff
Topre Realforce 91UBY

Offline Aseral

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 08:50:00 »
Thanks for the replies! I changed the name of HDMI1 to PC and the image has improved a lot, though still not the best. And now I get a problem where theres like an inch of black screen board around the image :( Think I'll just get a new one

Offline instantkamera

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 16:00:59 »
Quote from: Aseral;318330
Thanks for the replies! I changed the name of HDMI1 to PC and the image has improved a lot, though still not the best. And now I get a problem where theres like an inch of black screen board around the image :( Think I'll just get a new one

probably for the best(getting a real monitor), but that sounds like either a vert/hor zoom issue, or what happens when you have an overscan signal (like when you watch NTSC signals on HDTV, you can see the weird **** at the edges of the picture that are usually masked with a traditional CRT). I think the setting to combat this is called "just scan" or something like that. I could be way off base though.

Offline Twitchy

Weird Graphics problem
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 05:13:32 »
Quote from: Aseral;318330
...now I get a problem where theres like an inch of black screen board around the image :(

That sounds like the same problem I had with my ATI card over HDMI. Installing Catalyst Control Centre and setting the overscan to 0% fixed it
Stuff
Topre Realforce 91UBY