Author Topic: switch the switch - n00b wants clears instead of blacks  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Twilight

switch the switch - n00b wants clears instead of blacks
« on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 11:25:29 »
So, I bought a TG3 BL82 four month ago and now I want something new, cause I don't really like the linearity of the build in MX-Blacks.
I think, clears would be the best choice, but I like the other features of the TG3: Illumination and tenkeyless(ness? :D)
Also, a new Déck Legend with clears would cost about 200$ + shipping, if they'd ship it to Germany.

So I thought I could exchange the blacks with clears.

Problem 1 -> were to buy? This community could be the solution...
Problem 2 -> has someone experience with a switch switch (:)) at TG3 boards?
I've seen a thread at the subboard "modifications" with a TG3 BL83, that looked exactly like the BL82. The author had to unsolder every switch to extract it, so I am a little confused, cause I saw Youtube video, where the author just took the switches out and pressed the new down on the pcb.

Is there somewhere a modding FAQ for mechanical keyboards? I searched, but I didn't find any :(

Finally, the end. I hope I posted in the right subboard (modifications seems to be for finished or WIP projects, not for questions) and I hope I chose the right words, so you can understand me :D
Excuse some mistakes in language, but feel free to correct me ;)

Offline RiGS

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 11:30:30 »
You have to desolder the switches on plate mounted keyboards.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 11:31:04 »
Bid $40 for one of these. Great for stripping clears from.

My favorite tool is the nail pick from a manicure set.

Offline Twilight

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 11:44:40 »
hurr durr
This will take some time, I think. Do I have to remove the LEDs, even if I don't want to exchange them, too?

Offline Twilight

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 12:04:26 »
I never desoldered a keyboard, so I might be a little too enthusiastic, but the PCB seems to have four holes per switch. Should be not that hard, even if those solder joints are the smallest things that I ever would (de-)solder.

As a newb, their might be something, I haven't seen, so enlighten me please. (no irony intended)

Thank you for your helpful answers!

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 12:33:41 »
send a pm to Half-Saint, he modded his tg3 Bl82 extensively, full LED switch and switch change to blues.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 17:26:19 »
I would go with G80-3000LQCDE for switches, basicly allows you to get feel at first, free set of caps with it, also relatively affordable likely under 50€ shipped inside Germany.

EDIT: Hmm, not sure if the G80 is PCB-mounted, so not suitable for this... Still are housings combatible?
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 02:45:08 »
Quote from: Ekaros;319156
I would go with G80-3000LQCDE for switches, basicly allows you to get feel at first, free set of caps with it, also relatively affordable likely under 50€ shipped inside Germany.

EDIT: Hmm, not sure if the G80 is PCB-mounted, so not suitable for this... Still are housings combatible?

g80-1800, 1000, 3000 are pcb switches. I'Äve sold several for switch mods already.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."