Author Topic: My collection - keyboards and computers  (Read 1709 times)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
My collection - keyboards and computers
« on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:07:26 »
Wow!  I have been dealing and getting equipment given to me and have been very busy cleaning old computers.  With these old systems, I now have 2 model F keyboards to add to my collection of model M's.  One is an XT model F and the other an AT model F.  Both are in excellent condition.  I really don't know what the primary difference betweenthem is though.  All I know is that they aren't compatible with each other, meaning that I can't use the XT on the AT computer and I can't use the AT on the XT machine.  I guess the scan codes are vastly different.  

The AT came with an IBM PC AT I got for free from a guy in San Diego.  A friend went down there to pick it up for me, since he was going there any way, he offered to make a side trip to get it for me.  I have someone interested in buying it for #200.00, but he doesn't want the keyboard for some reason.  So I guess I'll keep it.  

The XT board came with an IBM computer system I just bought very, very  cheap.  It is a 5150 system complete with the 5153 color monitor, along with the XT model F keyboard, and all of the original boxes, packaging, manuals and even software on the original floppy disks.  The great part is that everything works great!  The original floppy disks still work to load the PC.  I think I'm in geek heaven!

Total mechanical keyboard now...  9  And, either my familiy, friends or I am using them all.  Even the Apple lle I got has a mechanical keyboard.  Too bad it's actually part of the computer case.  I wonder what type of key switch they used?  

Needless to say, I have been extremely lucky in the last few weeks.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:12:48 »
Cool story, bro.

We need picsssssssss!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:16:32 »
lol yeah, TL;DR   Usually pics are required when someone posts the word "collection". =P
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline strum4h

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:36:59 »
I want to see pics of the 5150 system
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline bettablue

• All Things DOS
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:39:09 »
As soon as I get a camera, I'll post pics, lots of them.  I'm still looking for a good camera with a good macro setting.  But here are the pics I got from the owner.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:43:45 by bettablue »
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

Offline bettablue

• All Things DOS
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 23:46:34 »
Here are the pics of the AT before I cleaned it up.  I'll have more once I get a good camera.

Offline What is X?

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 01:29:24 »
Quote from: bettablue;319358
Wow!  I have been dealing and getting equipment given to me and have been very busy cleaning old computers.  With these old systems, I now have 2 model F keyboards to add to my collection of model M's.  One is an XT model F and the other an AT model F.  Both are in excellent condition.  I really don't know what the primary difference betweenthem is though.  All I know is that they aren't compatible with each other, meaning that I can't use the XT on the AT computer and I can't use the AT on the XT machine.  I guess the scan codes are vastly different.  

The AT came with an IBM PC AT I got for free from a guy in San Diego.  A friend went down there to pick it up for me, since he was going there any way, he offered to make a side trip to get it for me.  I have someone interested in buying it for #200.00, but he doesn't want the keyboard for some reason.  So I guess I'll keep it.  

The XT board came with an IBM computer system I just bought very, very  cheap.  It is a 5150 system complete with the 5153 color monitor, along with the XT model F keyboard, and all of the original boxes, packaging, manuals and even software on the original floppy disks.  The great part is that everything works great!  The original floppy disks still work to load the PC.  I think I'm in geek heaven!

Total mechanical keyboard now...  9  And, either my familiy, friends or I am using them all.  Even the Apple lle I got has a mechanical keyboard.  Too bad it's actually part of the computer case.  I wonder what type of key switch they used?  

Needless to say, I have been extremely lucky in the last few weeks.

Are you serious? Apparently i was typing on an apple IIe at the age of 2... never knew it had a mechanical keyboard!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 02:13:50 »
Loves the pictures, thanks for sharing.
Erlang your pants off