Author Topic: tenkeyless?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

tenkeyless?
« on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 02:46:22 »
Why doesn't there seem to be a version of a so-called space saving keyboard that instead of eliminating the numpad, it eliminates the discreet home, etc. and arrow keys? I mean, that would give you almost the same amount of space, but at the same time you would have 100% functionality. All I have to do to get to any of those other keys is turn off the num lock.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
tenkeyless?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 02:53:07 »
You are right, but people are used to using dedicated arrow/navigation keys much more than numpad keys.  And folks don't use numpad all that often.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline TickleMeElmo

tenkeyless?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 03:08:38 »
Because home, insert, del etc are all useful keys, if you are proficient with a keyboard you can access all the functions of the number row without having to look at it and at a higher speed than with a tenkey (assuming you aren't exclusively doing numeric data entry). And if you are indeed doing exclusive numeric data entry you can get a separate num pad but a separate "insert correct term" pad would be quite silly.

Offline n12

tenkeyless?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 03:47:46 »
Choc mini? HHKB? Poker?

Offline What is X?

tenkeyless?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 04:06:14 »
Look at the notice above you. The poker is exactly what you describe.

Offline NimbleRabit

tenkeyless?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 04:11:22 »
Quote from: What is X?;319947
Look at the notice above you. The poker is exactly what you describe.

I think he was asking why not get rid of those other keys but still keep the numpad, doesn't the poker get rid of both?

Offline Kacee

tenkeyless?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 04:44:48 »
Quote from: TickleMeElmo;319936
Because home, insert, del etc are all useful keys, if you are proficient with a keyboard you can access all the functions of the number row without having to look at it and at a higher speed than with a tenkey (assuming you aren't exclusively doing numeric data entry). And if you are indeed doing exclusive numeric data entry you can get a separate num pad but a separate "insert correct term" pad would be quite silly.

I never use the Insert key, what do you use it for?

Offline gilgam

tenkeyless?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 08:22:38 »
Insert key. Also INS. A key usually positioned in a block of 6 keys above the cursor keys on most keyboards. Behaviour varies from one operating system and application to another. In traditional terminal environments the INS key would switch an editor to text insert mode, where typed text would be inserted rather than overwritten. Macs have a help or fn key instead of an INS key.

from
http://photonotes.org/articles/keyboards/

Mostly useless
but as a Vim user it is the same than typing i and the other keys work fine in vim too.
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline BucklingSpring

tenkeyless?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 08:37:12 »
Ultimate Space Saver

Sorry for the repost.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline flyinout

tenkeyless?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 09:12:14 »
this close to your require
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco tenkeyless Brown.Razer Deathadder 3500[/SIZE]

Offline itlnstln

tenkeyless?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 09:15:17 »
The G80-1800 is a pretty cool 'board, but for someone that uses the page-nav cluster a lot, I find the layout to be a little annoying at times.  That, and pressing the 0 key on the numpad takes a little getting used to.  I press that key with my index finger typically, so it took a little time to get used to pressing it with my middle finger.

Offline Daniel Beaver

tenkeyless?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 09:34:58 »
The Model F also fits this criterion, though it has other layout quirks.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline pitashen

tenkeyless?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 12:09:44 »
I very often use arrow keys, pgdn, pgup, home, end, etc... I have almost no use for numpad. So eliminating those would mean cutting out big chunk of keyboard functionality for me... and I believe for the most of the comp users out there.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline theferenc

tenkeyless?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 12:47:18 »
You are all missing the point. The navigation cluster is entirely replicated as a separate layer on the number pad. Turn numlock on, you get digits. Turn it off, you get navigation keys. You lose nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Unless tenkeyless boards, where you do actually lose functionality, which requires yet another peripheral to replicate.

I'm actually working on doing exactly this to one of my Model M keyboards. I'm pretty sure there's enough room to roll and store the middle portion of the membrane, and then I would just have to cut and reattach the barrel plate appropriately, and trim off the end of the metal plate. I think it would be easier to drill new rivet holes in the plate than to weld two pieces of it back together, personally.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Findecanor

tenkeyless?
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 13:14:55 »
Unfortunately, programs don't usually detect Shift - KB_arrow as the same as Shift - arrow.
In those programs (the bulk of them, I'm afraid), you can not use the numpad to select text. You will have to somehow remap the numpad keys to make them work the same way as arrow/nav keys when NumLock is off.
🍉

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
tenkeyless?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 13:39:54 »
I just tested my 2 primary editors (vim and oowriter) and they function as expected.  

With numlock OFF, shift and KP_2 merely gives me a down-arrow as expected.  Then there's the unexpected twist:  BOTH shifts and KP_2 give me same result as shift down arrow, selecting the text being traversed.

Firefox works... Thunderbid works... notepad works...

So can you share what bulk of programs you're using that this doesn't work on?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline theferenc

tenkeyless?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 13:55:03 »
Oddly, in Windows 7 via a synergy kvm from a linux machine, with numlock *ON*, shift + kp_8 selects text upwards, while it gives me just an "8" with numlock *OFF*.

In linux, on the machine to which it is directly attached, it works as Findecanor describes. That said, I use emacs mode in linux, so for most of my programs, shift + arrows doesn't do anything anyway. Shift+space turns on selection mode, then only arrow keys are needed.

But in Windows, at least, it works exactly the same as the regular arrow keys, just reverse of the numlock status as you would expect.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
tenkeyless?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 14:09:27 »
Didn't think to try it on Linux, most of my work there is split between email and shell, very little cause for text selection.  You could try to count the ticket tracker we use, but that doesn't conform to anything including its own design documents.

I've been contemplating a navless tenkeyless.  Basically a tenkeyless with the nav cluster also removed.  I tried the noppoo and found out I'm not willing to give up key size on the modifiers and don't want to give up function key grouping/spacing either.  It'd be even better with a trackpoint, but I don't know if I'll even be able to manage making a 74key board.  All the missing keys would be on layers...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline False_Dmitry_II

tenkeyless?
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 16:49:14 »
When you finish with that keyboard mod be sure to show it to us.

But yeah, that was my point. That you already have that set of stuff on the numpad so why not just keep it. In fact if a manufacturer made their board that way they could label the keys, and perhaps even reposition them slightly to make it more like the discrete keys. (in layout and signal to the computer)
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Ekaros

tenkeyless?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 17:32:11 »
Thermaltake Meka?

Still, big-ass enter and other quirks in that layout...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
tenkeyless?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 17:42:23 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;320254
When you finish with that keyboard mod be sure to show it to us.

But yeah, that was my point. That you already have that set of stuff on the numpad so why not just keep it. In fact if a manufacturer made their board that way they could label the keys, and perhaps even reposition them slightly to make it more like the discrete keys. (in layout and signal to the computer)

You could move (or even duplicate) down arrow to the 5 key, then you have the inverted T.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline celery

tenkeyless?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 18:56:47 »
If you're talking about pure functionality, you aren't losing anything with standard tenkeyless keyboards either, except for the Num Lock key itself, so it comes down to which set of keys you use more often. Though when I want to use the numpad, I miss it a lot, the arrow keys and navigation cluster see far more action in normal usage.

(Yeah, there's scancode differences with the numpad equivalents that can cause issues in obscure cases. Can't say if it works out for or against the numpad.)

That being said, there are examples of what the OP suggested as above. One I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Razer Marauder, which also has a toggle for inverted-T arrow keys.

Offline rustybarnacle

tenkeyless?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 19:15:25 »
Quote from: ripster;320266
Inverted T as God and DEC intended!

Heh, DEC.  Remember the alpha processor?!

Offline theferenc

tenkeyless?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 20:17:57 »
Someone has mentioned previously that you can't use alt codes for special characters from character map without a number pad. Not sure how often that is used (I use LaTeX, so don't need character map), but you do lose that ability if you have a tenkeyless keyboard.

So yes, you do actually lose distinct functionality.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
tenkeyless?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 20:53:40 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;320326
Heh, DEC.  Remember the alpha processor?!

OSF 1... god that sucked.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
tenkeyless?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 20:54:44 »
Quote from: theferenc;320355
Someone has mentioned previously that you can't use alt codes for special characters from character map without a number pad. Not sure how often that is used (I use LaTeX, so don't need character map), but you do lose that ability if you have a tenkeyless keyboard.

So yes, you do actually lose distinct functionality.

Well, not if you are willing to deal with Fn layers.  Compact KBs do it, why not tenkeyless?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline False_Dmitry_II

tenkeyless?
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 16:14:34 »
@theferenc

Did you proceed with doing this to your model M?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
tenkeyless?
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 01:43:30 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;319931
Why doesn't there seem to be a version of a so-called space saving keyboard that instead of eliminating the numpad, it eliminates the discreet home, etc. and arrow keys? I mean, that would give you almost the same amount of space, but at the same time you would have 100% functionality. All I have to do to get to any of those other keys is turn off the num lock.

Phantom?

I know the 7bit one has space for the full area to be filled up (I'm putting a tenkey there for sure) and I think the plates for the other phantom's have space for the keyswitches.

It's a pretty awesome layout, anyway.